A question to ponder....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

As Al is partial to Benz I'm gonna take a punt on either the Benz Micro Glider or the Benz Gullwing *dirol*

grimharry said:
Al ears said:
DougK said:
As Al is partial to Benz I'm gonna take a punt on either the Benz Micro Glider or the Benz Gullwing *dirol*

DougK wins the biscuit. Benz Micro Glider SL.

Is it a gold bar biscuit?

Could be, could be...

Hopefully this cartridge will last a bit longer than it takes to eat a biscuit but it's safe at the moment as have not had time to fit it yet. ;-)

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
Al ears said:
DougK said:

Could be, could be...

Hopefully this cartridge will last a bit longer than it takes to eat a biscuit but it's safe at the moment as have not had time to fit it yet. ;-)

Can I assume that you will be giving an in-depth review?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
As you get on in life your hearing diminishes so, if you need a new cartridge, do you buy a cheap one because you can no longer discern small differences or do you buy a more expensive one that will hopefully bring more out of a recording for you to hear?

No. mind you I am using an AT95EX, a fine cart indeed.

nopiano said:
Al ears said:
DougK said:

Wow, that should be great! I guess the L is the low output version?

They have been around a while but I'm not sure I've ever heard one, except at the odd show.

Indeed, the L is low output. They have been about for a while and are very similar in presentation to the wood-bodied version.

I first heard one whilst getting my power amp setup down at Tom Evans Audio, he had one fitted to a Townshend Rock 7 turntable and declared that it was the best sounding and all-round cartridge he had ever heard for the money and, after an extended listen with my Preamp and Power amp aling with his turntable I could only agree.

He's been through more cartridges than me and knows his onions when it comes to analogue and amplifier design (just read any reviews of his stuff).

I have always had a liking for the sound produced by some of our 'cottage industry' manufacturers like Tom Evans, Croft, Icon Audio and, on moving to Wales, was determined to support the local industry.

I have been tempted to buy the cartridge for some time but have only recently come into enough money to do so without getting a guilty conscience... ;-)

grimharry said:
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
Al ears said:
DougK said:

Could be, could be...

Can I assume that you will be giving an in-depth review?

You could....but I will not as I would be reviewing it along with my deck/tonearm/phono preamp/amp and speakers, my ears etc., etc. As such it would be pretty meaningless to anyone else.

There are reviews of it available online from more professional reviewers than myself.

All I can say is that, if you were looking for a moving coil cartridge around this price point, and even a fair bit higher, then you really should not overlook this one. Pound for pound, and in the right tonearm / deck set-up it would be very hard to beat and probably better than some costing half as much again.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, been a long time . . . although I have kept an eye on the threads. Al ears coment are significant to me, my ears started to fail, then the eyes. Its a strange thing but I was not aware of the failing hearing for some time, then things started to get 'better'? I now listen to most of my music at my computer desk with the LB1's either side an arm stretch away and 12" away from back wall. I have spent considerable time simply tweaking what I have, base perception and clarity is better than ever, high frequancy is still good considering my 70 years.

Cartridge is still the Sumiko Celebration Pearwood Signature, benefitting from a re ballance and hight adjustment to the arm along with a solid and isolating fixing to the counter weight, the same with the micro adjuster, the harmonics from those weights were significant. One still listens to a lot on Spotify, the recent improvement my hearing has helped one to appreciate 'the good' in digital reproduction, the bad stuff I simply press the delet button. It has to be apreciated, much of my Spotify music comes from the 70's 60's and before, the good stuff is realy good. Recorded with valves and using simple, uncomplicated techniques.

Speakers are circa early 90's transmision line with silk tweeters, cables are even older and cheap, from mid 80's?

Over the years, all theses componants have been changed, sometimes to advantage but mostly there was a change in presentation but no improvement in inforation gathering.

As I said the ears went down and are back even better. The eyes, thats a diferent story, medics are still working on that one?

Still have my Horlicks listening sessions, as now it is 1.45am, listening to Lenard Cohen, Songs from the Road. Sadly Hazel is no longer with us to enjoy the music with me.

Winter is coming, I'm setting my sights on a lot more music especialy from my vinyl collection which has been neglected for the past 15 months. I supose I am at last getting used to being on my own with fond memories of Hazel and her loving suport

So I supose I'm still the same stick in the mud with my 80's Hi Fi sound, a good thing realy, I dont have the desire to swap anything so no cash comitments, perhaps the ballance is right?

Cliff

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts