A question to ponder....

As you get on in life your hearing diminishes so, if you need a new cartridge, do you buy a cheap one because you can no longer discern small differences or do you buy a more expensive one that will hopefully bring more out of a recording for you to hear?

jjbomber

Al ears said:
As you get on in life your hearing diminishes so, if you need a new cartridge, do you buy a cheap one because you can no longer discern small differences or do you buy a more expensive one that will hopefully bring more out of a recording for you to hear?

People buy what they can afford!

If people can afford a £100 cable, they buy it. If people can afford a £2 cable, then all cable manufacturers are snake oil salesmen. If people have £3,000 they buy a Naim or Linn Streamer. If people have £30 they buy a Raspberry Pi as all digital streaming is the same.

jjbomber said:
Al ears said:

People buy what they can afford!

If people can afford a £100 cable, they buy it. If people can afford a £2 cable, then all cable manufacturers are snake oil salesmen. If people have £3,000 they buy a Naim or Linn Streamer. If people have £30 they buy a Raspberry Pi as all digital streaming is the same.

Well that helped.... ;-)

As you know, I recently heard seven new Ortofons in one day, and after that I'd have to say get the one that extracts the most. In that range, the best two or three also added the least, in that they seemed, almost magically, to stop sounding like records at all but more like a master tape.

I can imagine, on a finite budget, choosing, say, a modern Audio Technica for their detail, possibly to (over) compensate for diminishing audio perceptions. But, when it comes to hi fidelity the most accurate would be where I'd go first. And then get the hearing aid readjusted!!

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
You're not going to hear better if you buy an inferior source, so buy the best you can afford, or want to afford, and give your ears as good a chance as possible of hearing what's there to be heard.

ifor said:
You're not going to hear better if you buy an inferior source, so buy the best you can afford, or want to afford, and give your ears as good a chance as possible of hearing what's there to be heard.

Glad to see you c concur, this was my first thought so I have bitten the bullet since the tax man has been good to me this year :)

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
It's a question I've been asking myself since the Planar 6 was announced, but I told myself that a visit to a good dealer, and a listen to my music on his best system, would tell me whether I could stll hear enough improvement to buy an upgrade, whatever it is. And it won't cost much, too.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:

The answer's obvious – you buy a LOUDER one!

Seriously, though, I wonder whether buying a cartridge with a 'brighter' presentation might help compensate for a dulling of the hearing and loss of higher frequencies? IANAO (I am not an otologist).

thescarletpronster said:
Al ears said:

Seriously, though, I wonder whether buying a cartridge with a 'brighter' presentation might help compensate for a dulling of the hearing and loss of higher frequencies? IANAO (I am not an otologist).

Nor am I but I decided to go the whole hog and get a better cartridge.... I can always turn the amp up a bit too, before the next poster recommends a graphic equaliser... :)

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
thescarletpronster said:
Al ears said:

Nor am I but I decided to go the whole hog and get a better cartridge.... I can always turn the amp up a bit too, before the next poster recommends a graphic equaliser... :)

maybe brighter speaker cables?

grimharry said:
Al ears said:
thescarletpronster said:
Al ears said:

maybe brighter speaker cables?

Don't start..... Mine are grey...... :)

But my new cartridge is gold.......

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
*bigg
DougK said:
grimharry said:

Nah, Al's an MC man *biggrin*

still some nice silver cables to go with the gold cartridge*biggrin*

Does silver grey count?

As long as they are shiny and bright.

Well the phono plugs are......

Now let's play guess the cartridge.... hint: it is gold and 'nude'.

dynavector karat that’s gold and nude and very expensive

grimharry said:
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
*bigg
DougK said:
grimharry said:

Does silver grey count?

Well I wouldn't call it nude even though I did own a 17D3 once. ;-)

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
Al ears said:
grimharry said:
*bigg
DougK said:
grimharry said:

Does silver grey count?

Well I wouldn't call it nude even though I did own a 17D3 once. ;-)

sorry my mistake, so what is it ,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts