A question for Ronald.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ronald.

I'm just wondering if you've used firmware updates to enable Region A Blu-ray playback on the Denon DVD-2500BT?

This sounds a relatively easy operation, but I've read elsewhere that after so many switches the player will automatically lock.

In other words, can I start looking at Criterion Blu-rays, or am I doomed to put up with the sometimes inferior transfers and soundtracks pushed on the European market.

You may not know the answer, but I thought you'd be a sensible person to ask.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Strapped For Cash,

My Denon is currently a Region B player. I have never felt the need to mod it to play Region A blu-rays simply because I don't own any discs from this region.

I understand that doing so will inevitably cause a problem with the player reverting back to a previous firmware update and hence will end up with the player shutting itself down (it wil probably go bonkers inside!) - just not worth the hassle, if you ask me!

Hope that helps in some way.

Ronald

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Ronald.

I was concerned that constant firmware switches wouldn't do the player much good. I'll live, but there are several Region A discs I'd love to watch.

I'm eager to get my hands on the 2500 now to see how it performs.

As far as I'm aware, it is not possible to play blu-rays of different regions without a hardware mod. You cannot make a region B player play region A blu-ray discs just by a firmware update.

It's possible with DVD playback, not blu-ray.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I've not heard of this before either, but there's a thread on the subject on another forum. Region 1 owners can do the reverse, apparently.

I assume it's only possible with the DVD-2005. Anyway, if there's even a remote chance It'll damage the player, I'll not take the risk.

EDIT: just had another look at the thread and this is true of three early Denon Blu-ray models. It's caused problems for some users, though, so I'll play it safe and not bother.

A

Anonymous

I had a 2500 which I bought from TLC broadcast (don't think they are around any more) it was region free for both DVD & Blu ray and came with a CD Rom in case it ever lost it's ability to be region free.

I got a very good offer for it so I sold it, can't remember why, I should have kept it really!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
That's interesting! Can anyone confirm this? I thought blu-ray mod was purposefully made difficult to prevent piracy.

Have you no faith in my abilities as a researcher, bb!
smiley-laughing.gif

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I own a 2500BT. Initially I got given a multi region disc that "sits on top of" your current firmware by Sevenoaks that makes it multi region for DVD. This has worked perfectly and I obviously have never needed to change it back as it's good for all regions.

Slightly less advisably, I got a serial number for a Region A machine and downloaded the firmware from Denon US. I can confirm that this made me able to play Region A blu rays. I was a bit nervous about this though and wouldn't try it again. Instead I bought the hardware-modded Oppo so don't have to worry about it.

In summary - Yes, you can legitimately play all region DVD. Yes, it's possible to pklay Region A blu ray without a hardware mod but it's strictly an "At Your Own Risk" scenario!

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I own a 2500BT. Initially I got given a multi region disc that "sits on top of" your current firmware by Sevenoaks that makes it multi region for DVD. This has worked perfectly and I obviously have never needed to change it back as it's good for all regions.

Slightly less advisably, I got a serial number for a Region A machine and downloaded the firmware from Denon US. I can confirm that this made me able to play Region A blu rays. I was a bit nervous about this though and wouldn't try it again. Instead I bought the hardware-modded Oppo so don't have to worry about it.

In summary - Yes, you can legitimately play all region DVD. Yes, it's possible to pklay Region A blu ray without a hardware mod but it's strictly an "At Your Own Risk" scenario!

The reason I'm doubtful is because, most of the "region A" discs are actually region-free. The manufacturers never tell you that. There are some websites who test these blu-ray discs to check if they're region locked or not. My friend has the Denon 2500BT, & he never knew this! Even he bought it from TLC Broadcast, but the disc they provided made his player region-free for DVDs only (this was told to him by TLC Broadcast). They even said that it was not possible to make it zone free for blu-ray discs.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Films from Criterion is what i'd be most interested in from Region A.. they are pretty much all locked to Region A as far as i'm aware. Does anyone know of a mode for the Panasonic BDT300 that would make it region free for blu-ray? hardware or software?

Thanks,
Michael

A

Anonymous

bigboss said:
The reason I'm doubtful is because, most of the "region A" discs are actually region-free. The manufacturers never tell you that. There are some websites who test these blu-ray discs to check if they're region locked or not. My friend has the Denon 2500BT, & he never knew this! Even he bought it from TLC Broadcast, but the disc they provided made his player region-free for DVDs only (this was told to him by TLC Broadcast). They even said that it was not possible to make it zone free for blu-ray discs.

Yeh BB TLC told me it was multi-region for DVD only also, but I tested it with a couple of my friends Region A locked blu rays just to check and it worked fine. I also checked these where confirmed region A on www.movietyme.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts