A query on connecting HD sources to Onkyo AV receiver.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I am very new to all of this but have been reading various threads over the last 2 or 3 weeks. I am in the market for a new TV and AV receiver.

I currently have an old 28" CRT TV, Sky digital (Not HD), an old Kenwood AV reciever and a Playstation 3. I also have 2 technic 1200 turntables and a Vestax pre-amp/mixer that i also run though my current AV receiver via the phono input.

I am looking at getting a Panasonic TH-42PX70 and an Onkyo receiver. I will be using the Playstation 3 as my CD/DVD/Bluray player and maybe upgrading the Sky to HD in the near future.

I have 2 questions. Both of which are probably extremely easy to answer, so here goes. Hopefully someone can answer these for me.

1. When connecting a PS3 or Sky HD or both to an AV receiver with HDMI inputs how many are you typically going to need? 1 input for the Playstation 3, 1 input for the Sky HD and 1 input for the TV or is the TV plugged into and HDMI output from the receiver? The Onkyo TX-SR605 has 2 inputs and 1 output. Do i need the TX-SR705 as this has 3 inputs and 1 output.

2. Do i need to use a phono input for my turntables via the pre-amp/mixer or can i use AUX or CD or Tape etc. The Onkyo TX-SR605 doesn't have a phono input but the TX-SR705 does.

Really looking forward to getting all the kit up and running just need some help choosing the correct AV receiver.

If the answer is TX-SR705, should i go for the 805, 875.........oops i am getting dizzy!!!

Thanks in advance

Scott

A

Anonymous

1 . I order to get audio from the tv you would need both an in and out connection, but if your using sky there isnt much point in that, so connecting it to just the output would be fine. so and in for sky and in for ps3 and the out for the tv.

2. if you have a phono preamp, you dont require a special phono connector on the AV amp, only a standard line level input. Tape, CD or Aux would all be fine.

I'm also purchasing that receiver, if you have the money, get the SR705 as it has more inputs and the auto setup features are better than those on the SR605.

just out of curiousity what speakers are you going to use with the Onkyo?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the answers.

Haven't decided which speakers to go for yet. You got yours yet?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gpherber"]1 . I order to get audio from the tv you would need both an in and out connection, but if your using sky there isnt much point in that, so connecting it to just the output would be fine. so and in for sky and in for ps3 and the out for the tv.

[/quote]

Just to add... The audio output from Sky HD on HDMI is stereo only, so to get surround sound from those programmes on which it's available, you'll also need an optical digital audio connection to the receiver. You'll also need such a cable to connect your current Sky box to a receiver.

Similarly, if you're using a receiver which has HDMI pass-through switching, but can't handle the audio on HDMI, such as the Sony STR-DA1200ES or the Onkyo TX-SR505, you'll need an optical connection from the PS3 to such a receiver. With the 605, however, it's no problem - the audio goes down the HDMI with the pictures.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew

Unfortunately i have an old 1st generation Pace 2200 digibox with 2 x Scart sockets, a pair of phono inputs, 2 x RF sockets and an aerial socket. No sign of a digital optical. What's the best way to connect this to the Onkyo 605?

A

Anonymous

Thanks again Andrew but what about scart to component video?

i.e Output the Sky TV via a Scart to RGB cable into the Onkyo 605 using one of the assignable component video channels.

Or Scart to S-Video?

Trying to put as little cables as possible into the back of the TV.

Is any of the above feasible?

A

Anonymous

Anyone got any thoughs on the above?

I am not sure how these cables work and which is going to give the best picture. Is it possible to go from Scart to component video and use the assignable inputs on the Onkyo 605?

Got the kit turning up on Friday and could do with having the correct cables ready for it.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Me and My Pal"]

Thanks again Andrew but what about scart to component video? i.e Output the Sky TV via a Scart to RGB cable into the Onkyo 605 using one of the assignable component video channels.
Or Scart to S-Video?[/quote]

Scart to component won't work, as the Sky box is outputting RGB, which the Onkyo can't handle - only component YPbPr video, And going down to S-video will give a markedly worse picture, even with the Onkyo upconverting it for HDMI output.

A

Anonymous

Looks like i'll have to use the Scart option then.

Thanks people. Over and out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts