A new Naim product must deserve a thread...

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,253
26
19,220
Visit site
eggontoast said:
Does Naim manufacture all their products in the UK ?

As far as I know, yes.

I assume things like op-amps, tuner heads, DAC chips, CD mechs and other various components are bought in (either 'vanilla' or customised for Naim) but design, build/assembly, testing all takes place in Salisbury as it always has before.
 

Ajani

New member
Apr 9, 2008
42
0
0
Visit site
I wonder if this means that the next gen Uniti will ditch the CDP... As I'd love to see a NaitUniti (essentially either a cheaper Uniti - the CDP or a more expensive UnitiQute with the full 50 watts of Nait power)...

Anyway, the SuperUniti looks like another great product and one I'd definitely consider if I was shopping in that price range.
 
chebby said:

Really can't wait (yawns).

No doubt it'll get a glowing review when 'The Towers' do a "First Test". That will be closely followed by a million and one threads about the ideal speakers: we all know that PMC, Neat, Epos, MonoPulse etc are the best matches...

I'm going to place myself in a straight jacket for the duration.

Night night...:wave:
 

True Blue

New member
Oct 18, 2008
185
0
0
Visit site
Grrrrrrr no it does NOT need its own thread.

WE DONT NEED ANY MORE BLOOMING INTEGRATED AMPLIFIERS IN WHATEVER GUISE NAIM

Please give us a streamer and DAC in one which ISNT going to require a remortgage GRRRRRRRR

Rant over - night

PS PP spot on with the speaker choices
 

Andrew Everard

New member
May 30, 2007
1,878
2
0
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Really can't wait (yawns).

No doubt it'll get a glowing review when 'The Towers' do a "First Test". That will be closely followed by a million and one threads about the ideal speakers: we all know that PMC, Neat, Epos, MonoPulse etc are the best matches...

I'm going to place myself in a straight jacket for the duration.

Night night...:wave:

Do you think that's wise, sir?
 
Andrew Everard said:
plastic penguin said:
Really can't wait (yawns).

No doubt it'll get a glowing review when 'The Towers' do a "First Test". That will be closely followed by a million and one threads about the ideal speakers: we all know that PMC, Neat, Epos, MonoPulse etc are the best matches...

I'm going to place myself in a straight jacket for the duration.

Night night...:wave:

Do you think that's wise, sir?

You're right: If the jacket is too tight I'll end up spilling the humble pie down my top. Messy business...:?
smiley-smile.gif
 

Alec

Well-known member
Oct 8, 2007
478
0
18,890
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Andrew Everard said:
plastic penguin said:
Really can't wait (yawns).

No doubt it'll get a glowing review when 'The Towers' do a "First Test". That will be closely followed by a million and one threads about the ideal speakers: we all know that PMC, Neat, Epos, MonoPulse etc are the best matches...

I'm going to place myself in a straight jacket for the duration.

Night night...:wave:

Do you think that's wise, sir?

You're right: If the jacket is too tight I'll end up spilling the humble pie down my top. Messy business...:?
smiley-smile.gif

Why the pie?
 

BenLaw

Well-known member
Nov 21, 2010
475
7
18,895
Visit site
al7478 said:
plastic penguin said:
Andrew Everard said:
plastic penguin said:
Really can't wait (yawns).

No doubt it'll get a glowing review when 'The Towers' do a "First Test". That will be closely followed by a million and one threads about the ideal speakers: we all know that PMC, Neat, Epos, MonoPulse etc are the best matches...

I'm going to place myself in a straight jacket for the duration.

Night night...:wave:

Do you think that's wise, sir?

You're right: If the jacket is too tight I'll end up spilling the humble pie down my top. Messy business...:?
smiley-smile.gif

Why the pie?

I believe that's the Lancastrian version of existentialism.
 

Frank Harvey

Well-known member
Jun 27, 2008
567
1
18,890
Visit site
Ajani said:
I wonder if this means that the next gen Uniti will ditch the CDP... As I'd love to see a NaitUniti (essentially either a cheaper Uniti - the CDP or a more expensive UnitiQute with the full 50 watts of Nait power)...

Anyway, the SuperUniti looks like another great product and one I'd definitely consider if I was shopping in that price range.

I'm guessing when they replace the Uniti, they'll remove the CD player, unless they want a single box that does everything. I suppose they could run the two side by side for those that do want a CD player. Let's face it, Naim have many options now, and they can mix and match as much as they like. It'll all be down to whichever combo they feel is saleable on a mass Market basis.
 

Ajani

New member
Apr 9, 2008
42
0
0
Visit site
True Blue said:
Grrrrrrr no it does NOT need its own thread.

WE DONT NEED ANY MORE BLOOMING INTEGRATED AMPLIFIERS IN WHATEVER GUISE NAIM

Please give us a streamer and DAC in one which ISNT going to require a remortgage GRRRRRRRR

Rant over - night

PS PP spot on with the speaker choices

I get your point; It does seem strange that Naim has neglected most of its loyal customers so far... Anyone who already owns any of Naim's more affordable amplification is not likely to be interested in streamers with built in amplification...

However, for new customers Naim is adding some really tempting new solutions...
 

Ajani

New member
Apr 9, 2008
42
0
0
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Ajani said:
I wonder if this means that the next gen Uniti will ditch the CDP... As I'd love to see a NaitUniti (essentially either a cheaper Uniti - the CDP or a more expensive UnitiQute with the full 50 watts of Nait power)...

Anyway, the SuperUniti looks like another great product and one I'd definitely consider if I was shopping in that price range.

I'm guessing when they replace the Uniti, they'll remove the CD player, unless they want a single box that does everything. I suppose they could run the two side by side for those that do want a CD player. Let's face it, Naim have many options now, and they can mix and match as much as they like. It'll all be down to whichever combo they feel is saleable on a mass Market basis.

I suspect Naim was just being conservative by including a CDP in the original Uniti. So just in case the market wasn't quite ready for a Streamer/Integrated Amp then the built in CDP would sway some customers... It would appear that the market is (now) accepting of StreamAmps, considering the introduction of the UnitiQute and SuperUniti.

It will be interesting to see the other 3 products Naim is supposed to launch before the year end.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
NAS with 2 TB... £300

squeezebox touch £200

Your choice of great amp and great speakers, or great active speakers ... £1000-£2000

The smile on the dealers face when he sells a Gnome funkybox 8000 for more than 3x what it is really worth... priceless.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I can only imagine that this product is aimed at either the technically challenged, or the older, traditional buyer with plenty of cash, who is only interested in convenience.

I can buy 1Tb of storage for £60, and a SB Touch for £180 or less. I can go and buy active speakers with significantly higher wpc than the Naim offers for relatively little money. Only a small amount of research would reveal that £3250 is taking the proverbial.

BTW, who knew that Naim and Focal between them were such small companies?
 

True Blue

New member
Oct 18, 2008
185
0
0
Visit site
Windypopper said:
I can only imagine that this product is aimed at either the technically challenged, or the older, traditional buyer with plenty of cash, who is only interested in convenience.

I can buy 1Tb of storage for £60, and a SB Touch for £180 or less. I can go and buy active speakers with significantly higher wpc than the Naim offers for relatively little money. Only a small amount of research would reveal that £3250 is taking the proverbial.

BTW, who knew that Naim and Focal between them were such small companies?

Loyal fan base here.... No 1 have you visited NAIM in Salisbury? Didnt think so.

A lot of the money goes on R&D obviously. Then product selection. For every 100 capacitors they buy only 10 or so actually make the grade. All componants are individually selected and matched, this is not cheap. BUT it does sound good.

Yes you "could" get a cheapo mass produced NAS etc which may or may not work in five years.

Naim gear is as solid as a rock, built to last. What other company still services and repairs ALL their old equipment???

On the back of that of course there is the bouyant 2nd hand market so you wont generally lose a lot (if any) money on your purchases.

Yes at the outset it is expensive "for what it does", but when you look at how it does it and the attention to detail taken in ensuring it sounds the best it can, coupled with excellent build quality, reliabilty and resaleability it suddenly doesnt seem too bad.
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,253
26
19,220
Visit site
Windypopper said:
BTW, who knew that Naim and Focal between them were such small companies?

Naim has a turnover of £18 million. They are profitable and their sales/exports have risen in the last few years.

I'll grant you they are not Panasonic or Apple, but they are doing ok for a specialist/niche business in what is a already a specialist/niche market.

I am sure their 112 employees (2006 figures*) represent a valuable contribution to an economy/job market as small as Salisbury's. (As well as any work they outsource and the jobs their product sales help support through their dealer network.)

*125 employees as of May 2011 and sales up from £15.2 million to £18 million in one year. (Also a 72 percent increase in annual sales between 2004 - 2010).

If every manufacturing company in the UK could boast similar year-on-year percentage increases in sales and exports (and employment) for the same period then things would be pretty good, no?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
True Blue said:
Windypopper said:
I can only imagine that this product is aimed at either the technically challenged, or the older, traditional buyer with plenty of cash, who is only interested in convenience.

I can buy 1Tb of storage for £60, and a SB Touch for £180 or less. I can go and buy active speakers with significantly higher wpc than the Naim offers for relatively little money. Only a small amount of research would reveal that £3250 is taking the proverbial.

BTW, who knew that Naim and Focal between them were such small companies?

Loyal fan base here.... No 1 have you visited NAIM in Salisbury? Didnt think so.

A lot of the money goes on R&D obviously. Then product selection. For every 100 capacitors they buy only 10 or so actually make the grade. All componants are individually selected and matched, this is not cheap. BUT it does sound good.

Yes you "could" get a cheapo mass produced NAS etc which may or may not work in five years.

Naim gear is as solid as a rock, built to last. What other company still services and repairs ALL their old equipment???

On the back of that of course there is the bouyant 2nd hand market so you wont generally lose a lot (if any) money on your purchases.

Yes at the outset it is expensive "for what it does", but when you look at how it does it and the attention to detail taken in ensuring it sounds the best it can, coupled with excellent build quality, reliabilty and resaleability it suddenly doesnt seem too bad.

Some interesting assertions.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts