A Neat chin-wag...

A number of you guys rate highly the Neat Motive 2 and 3. TBH I've only had the privilage of the Motve 3 at a dealers, on one occasion. Let's ramp up the anti (oh Matron) a little and extend it to the Momentum 3is. Are they any good? do they have a tendancy, according to the review, to sound shrill in the treble?

Over to you chaps...

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
The Momentum 3is are very very good. They paint a very vivid picture right the way through the frequency range, and they are just great where it comes to punching out big dynamics. They are also very clear and intelligible at low levels.

The only words of caution I would give are a) you need to have a big enough room if the bass isn't to dominate - mine is 3.7*3.7m and i have them about 45cm from the rear walls and 65cm from the sides and it's pretty borderline. On most tracks they sound just great, but on a few where the bass has been recorded deliberately on the heavy side, it can sound a bit overbearing. b) the treble can sound a bit harsh if you push the volume up when listening to a poor quality recording.

Neither of these provisos is the speaker's fault in my opinion, but depending on your room and the sort of music you listen to they will may not be the best choice. Either way definintely worth a (home) demo.

What is the rest of your system?

A

Anonymous

I have the Neat Motive 2's with my Arcam Alpha 10 amp and they sound absolutely superb to me. The best speakers I've owned by far (they replaced some B&W CM5's)!

Our room is about 16ft by 10ft with the speakers firing across the room; they've got about 1m of space behind them and they're well away from the side walls etc...

Their bass depth & kick is superb; deep but taut and well paced. I did demo the Motive 1's as well but found that their bass became sluggish and muddy at times; something the Motive 2's never did!

I haven't heard the Momentum range but I can highly recommend the Motive 2's

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I may as well join in on the Neat appreciation - i have heard quite a number of speakers now both at the demo and since i purchased my Motive 3's.

I am extremely delighted with them and have seen no reason to upgrade even after hearing speakers costing twice as much. I suspect i would also like the Motive 2's and the SE version was something i considered and may still do so once i have moved house if i feel the larger room warrants it.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I brought the Motive 3s not having heard the other models but from other comments they seem to share a lot of the same traits.

The Neat Motive 3 do not have an obvious shortcoming in producing the fullness of sound and frequency range I liked. Something just sounded right, they really have a zest and engage you.

I don't have a problem with treble and can listen to most of my cd collection without wincing, even my dodgy old rock / metal.

They do sound amazing still at low volumes but can still handle high volume given more space and on stands and my mate (who has B&W cdm 7nt floorstanders) was quite surprised how composed and punching they are at high volume. passed gladiator soundtrack with ease :).

Would love to hear what the Momentum's can do!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Let's ramp up the anti

In this context "anti" is a gambling term and would more correctly be spelled "ante", being a forced bet made by all players before a hand is dealt (generally poker), as opposed to a "blind", which is usually only made by two players (but sometimes three).

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have the Neat Petit SX standmounts and auditioned them against the Motive 3's Motive 2 and Motive 2SE. The Petit's were easily the best, for clarity and presentation.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
plastic penguin said:
Let's ramp up the anti

In this context "anti" is a gambling term and would more correctly be spelled "ante", being a forced bet made by all players before a hand is dealt (generally poker), as opposed to a "blind", which is usually only made by two players (but sometimes three).

I was going to point out PP's slight typo . But I wasn't brave enough . It's too early in the week to be dealing with the ante-spelling police protestors !

The_Lhc said:
plastic penguin said:
Let's ramp up the anti

Oh man... don't hit me with these negative waves, especially when I've been laid horizontal with the flu. (I opened the window and in-flu-enza). :)

Dan Turner said:
The Momentum 3is are very very good. They paint a very vivid picture right the way through the frequency range, and they are just great where it comes to punching out big dynamics. They are also very clear and intelligible at low levels.

The only words of caution I would give are a) you need to have a big enough room if the bass isn't to dominate - mine is 3.7*3.7m and i have them about 45cm from the rear walls and 65cm from the sides and it's pretty borderline. On most tracks they sound just great, but on a few where the bass has been recorded deliberately on the heavy side, it can sound a bit overbearing. b) the treble can sound a bit harsh if you push the volume up when listening to a poor quality recording.

Neither of these provisos is the speaker's fault in my opinion, but depending on your room and the sort of music you listen to they will may not be the best choice. Either way definintely worth a (home) demo.

What is the rest of your system?

Interesting - read a lot about the strong bass, so wonder how they compare with the RS6s?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Interesting - read a lot about the strong bass, so wonder how they compare with the RS6s?

Can't help you there I'm afraid. The bass of the 3is is great of you've got the room for them and if you've been using big speakers like RS6s then you probably do. Definitely recommend a home demo though.

Dan Turner said:
plastic penguin said:

Can't help you there I'm afraid. The bass of the 3is is great of you've got the room for them and if you've been using big speakers like RS6s then you probably do. Definitely recommend a home demo though.

Yup, and the RS6s are planted just 12" from the back wall. The Leema certainly mitigates the heavy-handed nature of the MAs.

A

Anonymous

With being a house music fan (Masters at Work; Danny Tenaglia, Eric Morillo etc...) I like bass to be deep, taut & punchy.

The Neats thoroughly amazed me when I first heard them; they can go low and they handle it superbly. With their bass port being downward firing through the bass, makes them a bit easier to place.

Having owned the RS6's quite a while ago and loved them; I'd rather have the Motive 2's any day. They're just that more musical :)

Think a home dem is essential. However, I'd like to compare a couple of speakers, at home, which is really tricky, for obvious reasons. I've only done that the once (compared two at home) but had to use all my powers of imagination (and cunning persuasion) to cadge one speaker and go to a different shop and borrow another.

That was a one-off and I wouldn't recommend it...:oops: :shhh:

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Pp - the momentums do need a bit of space as they are rear ported. You might get away with 12" from the rear wall if they are no where near sides and the room isn't too square. You can get free foam bungs from neat, which I've tried, but don't recommend as they seem to reign in the 'energy' of the sound a little.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I own the B&W CM1's for AV and dance music and the Neat Motive 3 for more acoustic stuff. The neats will go in my bedroom system when its finished (need a cdp player/dac) but cant help feeling they need a bit more bass - even for classical. Theyre a great speaker though, especially the tweeter. The neats produce the most lifelike voices ive heard from a speaker . I might need to try a different amp/dac combo to get the most out of them though. So far ive only tried my marantz and roksan amps.

I own the B&W CM1's for AV and dance music and the Neat Motive 3 for more acoustic stuff. The neats will go in my bedroom system when its finished (need a cdp player/dac) but cant help feeling they need a bit more bass - even for classical.

Theyre a great speaker though, especially the tweeter. The neats produce the most lifelike voices ive heard from a speaker . I might need to try a different amp/dac combo to get the most out of them though. So far ive only tried my marantz and roksan amps.

My hifi friends share my opinion that a sub would make them sound great but dont know if i really want to go down that route.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
All you guys with the Motive 3s can you give me some advice!

I have Auditioned them at my local hi if shop and they blew me away, just worry bit cautious about buying them to fit in my room at home as its only 3.6 x 4.5 m, speakers will go on longer wall, how much space do they really need?

Is my room big enough?.

They will be going on atacama se24 stands and will be partnered with a Rega Brio R amp.

I have emailed neat acoustics the same but any input from you guys would be good!

stevebrock said:

I have Auditioned them at my local hi if shop and they blew me away, just worry bit cautious about buying them to fit in my room at home as its only 3.6 x 4.5 m, speakers will go on longer wall, how much space do they really need?

Is my room big enough?.

They will be going on atacama se24 stands and will be partnered with a Rega Brio R amp.

I have emailed neat acoustics the same but any input from you guys would be good!

Yes, no probs. My room is 13' x 18' and my RS6s fire across the narrow side. The Motive 3 shouldn't have a problem.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:

Is my room big enough?.

Yes, no probs. My room is 13' x 18' and my RS6s fire across the narrow side. The Motive 3 shouldn't have a problem.
Yes I wouldn't worry about the size issue, my front room is about the same size as yours and the Motive 2s fit in quite nicely. :)

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:

Is my room big enough?.

Not sure I need to reply after responses but my lounge is about 17ft square reduced by stairs going up a bit. A little bit bigger but as long as you can place them on speakers stands around 35cm away from wall should be fine.

Ambrose

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Diamond joe, what distance between your speakers? How far are you from them and how far from the back wall are they!

Much appreciated

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Ambrose your bang on the money!

I emailed Bob@Neat and he said 30-40cm from the back wall!

My local hifi dealer has some demo ones which I can demo that he will let me have for £685, I'm getting tempted now.

Ps was your Rega DAC a good upgrade

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Diamond joe, what distance between your speakers? How far are you from them and how far from the back wall are they!

Much appreciated
Hi stevebrock, I think they're about 40cm from the back wall and I sit just under 3m from them. I think others with the 2s try to put them further from the back wall, and I think I would too if I had a bigger room, but they sound great where they are. 8)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts