A move into new territory for me . . . ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
CJSF said:
Quote from: ordic_naubhoff's signature:

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgement. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I've thought that one of the more bizarre quotes for many a long day in audio. I think Nelson should pass and take a chill pill. Without measurement, the music will suck on a grand scale.

I'm only guessing now but I think that what he meant saying that is that the road to listening pleasure leads through listening to gear rather than reading oscilloscopes' graphs. it's not uncommon that poorly measuring piece of kit will sound more enjoyable than many other ones which tech measurements tick all the necessary performance boxes. best example here is Audio Note. AN's SET no feedback amps measure really badly but who cares about that (probably those who don't care about music but performance measurements) since they sound so good.

don't get me wrong. good testbench marks are welcome but not if they go before musicality.

P.S. thanks CJSF for your insight on your new cart. looks like you've found what you've been looking for. purely by accident but obviously that's how it was supposed to happen... :cheer:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
the record spot said:
CJSF said:
Quote from: ordic_naubhoff's signature:

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgement. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

I've thought that one of the more bizarre quotes for many a long day in audio. I think Nelson should pass and take a chill pill. Without measurement, the music will suck on a grand scale.

I'm only guessing now but I think that what he meant saying that is that the road to listening pleasure leads through listening to gear rather than reading oscilloscopes' graphs. it's not uncommon that poorly measuring piece of kit will sound more enjoyable than many other ones which tech measurements tick all the necessary performance boxes. best example here is Audio Note. AN's SET no feedback amps measure really badly but who cares about that (probably those who don't care about music but performance measurements) since they sound so good.

don't get me wrong. good testbench marks are welcome but not if they go before musicality.

P.S. thanks CJSF for your insight on your new cart. looks like you've found what you've been looking for. purely by accident but obviously that's how it was supposed to happen... :cheer:

oldric_naubhoff . . . right place, right time, as you say, an accident that I took advantage off, there was no way I was going to look at £1500 cartridges under normal circumstances . . . Even then, it took some time to get to grips with a cartridge with, on the face of it, no character? . . . This was not actually true, its strength is being unobtrusive, letting the music come through taking on the character of what is on the record, unusual and very beguiling as one begins to appreciate this quality.

Impressive measurements and expensive components in hifi equipment impress the geek, but the results can often be flat and uninteresting, we asked why? . . . What we did was to start with ideal figures, best components and work backwards using only our ears, the results were interesting. It was invariably the component brand or tolerance that affected the sound and presentation, measurements were maintained within tolerance. The surprising thing, it was not always the most expensive component that sounded the best . . .

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts