A morning of speaker hunting to pair with CA 840s

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi all. I've been out hunting for speakers to suit my cambridge audio 840a/c combo this morning and I thought I'd share my findings with you. I've been banging on about how this new kit (on a thirty day trial) hasn't really blown me away as much as it might of given the £££ and had rather assumed the speakers (Kef iq5se) were letting the side down. My main complaint is it all seems a bit bright and toppy and maybe loses it way a bit when music gets complicated. I have on and off days with the sound, but I'm not enjoying listening as much as I could.

I took my kit over to hi fi gear in gloucester (really helpful chaps) and listened to ATC scm 11s, Monitor Audio RS8s, some totems and a make I've not heard of before - art - from Scotland.

The Atcs didn't help matters, keeping the sound very top end and a bit harsh. The totems were nice enough but the Monitor audios definitely put the most bottom end in to these ears. I know some have you have mentioned CA kit being a bit bass shy so this may be the way forward. The arts were LOVELY - as they should be for 2k!

It still didn't sound right to me though. I'm not sure the system says enough in the mid band for me. I'm pretty new to this price level of kit but I listened to a quad pre/power (909) and a sugden amp today with the atcs and I think like the warmer sound more. Its not the cdp - that sounded great with the sugden - but I think the amps got to go.

Hope someone finds that interesting ...or better still useful!

T

the record spot

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
I would second The Record Spot's Keilidh/KuStone recommendation - I've been one of those careful owners for the last 15 years, and I love them with my Cyrus/Naim combination, particularly in the classical repertoire I listen to most. Keep thinking of changing them for a more modern design, but resisting so far - if it ain't broke...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ear:It's the amp.CA doesn't work for me

I seem to remember you saying this recently, "the only amps from CA that I've heard were the 340 and 640, but with either of them I found bass lacking.especially when compared to nad amps".

Now the 840 amps from CA are completely different to the 340, 540, 640 and 740. They are in a different league. As for bass, there is no way that it is lacking in the 840A. Anyone who says so must either have a bass weak speaker or some kind of problem with the cabling.

A

Anonymous

I own that CA combo (v2), and find it absolutely fantastic. Bought it around 3 months ago for my living room after auditioning NAD, Cyrus, Naim and much more expensive stuff in the same room. Combined it with Dynaudio Excite X32, and have since been constantly thrilled. The outfit shines all across the range, with (for me) perfect midrange, precise and pleasant treble and deep, detailed bass.

I have never felt any part of this was "too bright" or confused when "music gets complicated". To me, in my room, the stuff is just mind blowing, especially when you pump up the volume a little (but perfectly pleasant at low volume as well).

I often spend time in local hifi shops, parasiting audition sessions, and, truly, very seldom hear anything, at any price range, that makes me think there is any way to "upgrade" what I have. OK, well, maybe, a bigger/meaner set of floorstanders....but my room is not big enough to even remotely justify that....

A

Anonymous

Also be mindfull that the 840 takes an age to run in, i thought there was somthing wrong mine when i first bought it funnily enough it was lack of bass..but im listening to it now and if the truth be told if there is a weekness its too much bass.

Youve got to some mezzo' a chance there the best ive try'd so far although much to my dismay the wife is determind their not staying

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lordmortlock:If I can ask Gareth how long is an age? I've been running mine for 8-10 hours a day for 10 days. Thats got to be long enough surely?

I have to say that if you are not getting enough bass, there could be something wrong with the unit. As has been said, bass is aplenty with the 840A.

T

the record spot

lordmortlock:Weird you should say that - Ive got a mate coming round at 4.30 with the linns. How odd!

I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the Keilidhs lordmortlock. As Naxos says, they can be pretty impressive with the right gear. You should be able to hear a good, deep and well defined bass from those boxes!

A

Anonymous

Mine took around 2-3 weeks of use at around 5-6 hours a day! .....Ive got some MA rs6 to play with today, Pretty good but not as good as the mezzo's there not as articualte in the bass as the mezzo's but looks like my hunt is over as the wife wont let me keep the mezzo's :( and the MA's are the next best thing imo

A

Anonymous

You could always try the NAD C355 amp or indeed the Creek Evo amps, or one of the better Marantz amps.

Did you listen to the MA RS6 with any other amps?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
garethwd:Mine took around 2-3 weeks of use at around 5-6 hours a day! .....Ive got some MA rs6 to play with today, Pretty good but not as good as the mezzo's there not as articualte in the bass as the mezzo's but looks like my hunt is over as the wife wont let me keep the mezzo's :( and the MA's are the next best thing imo

Are the RS6s new Gareth?

A

Anonymous

Yep brand shiney! I know their not run in so its not really a fair comparison...just commenting on my findings so far. I hope they limber up becouse im leaning towards buying the MA's

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I did some auditioning at sevenoaks two weeks ago and everything I heard there was through RS6. Sounded good with cyrus, roksan (although roksan wasn't for me). I prefer the 6 to the 8. The 8s boomier imo

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
garethwd:Yep brand shiney! I know their not run in so its not really a fair comparison...just commenting on my findings so far. I hope they limber up becouse im leaning towards buying the MA's

You will not be disappointed. I ran mine in (Sky HD running Radio One all day) for about a week before I started listening properly and loved them straightaway. Others have said they need as long as 200 hours - the manual says that they need a certain amount of run in. I would say they are a great match for your amp - but then again, I would! Let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

LOL yeah shame their isnt a mezzo 4, a slightly smaller floor stander as the 6 is a BIG speaker and in fairness looked a bit daft in the living room

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Lol a mezzo 4 sounds ideal!

Err right sorry we've been a bit rubbish with the Linns. A combination of lateness, some work phone calls, a couple of pints and an active/passive issue has left us thinking we'll do it next week. It'll be an interesting set up.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
lordmortlock, I am not sure if you have been following my posts today but have you heard Rega Rs3's?

Beautiful speakers both aesthetically and sonically.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
the CA 840 a didn't seem to have that much power specs say it does...that half moon level gauge was almost 80% and it wasï't as loud as other amps I heard wich were at 11 o'clock volume.But it sounded good the CA 840 and had good bass.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
ear:the CA 840 a didn't seem to have that much power specs say it does...that half moon level gauge was almost 80% and it wasï't as loud as other amps I heard wich were at 11 o'clock volume.But it sounded good the CA 840 and had good bass.

I could move furniture with mine if I could stand the loudness at 3 o'clock!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts