A lost 30 year old TT board . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
On the point of giving up 'internet hifi' . . . unfortunately one cant post a view without it being vehemently disagreed with, to the point of offensiveness?? My mental state not being helped by the re admission of Hazel into hospital last Friday . . . I miss here so much.

I have been thinking along the lines of giving up internet hifi for a while now. Its a poor do when you can’t have a view on a subject without being shouted down? Plus I've reached the point to which I wish to go on the upgrade trail and I have other interests I wish to pursue in my retirement. An old hobby I enjoyed as a younger man is becoming . . .

I have not turned the hifi on for over a week now . . . it not the same without Hazel and the Horlicks hour?

However, I have been clearing out my shed (for new activities) and came across all sorts of stuff I did not know I still had. In particular a TT isolation board we used to make back in the 80's. As I say, lost the hifi enthusiasm recently, so it has been propped up against the wall all week. Feeing fed-up over my plate of 'cheese on toast' this evening . . . I decided to give the old Foundation board a try. It was made from a particular type of particle board and machined to my specifications. As I remember it worked very well, this is the last one I know of in existence?

So, wash up the dinner plate, turn the amp on to warm up and remove the MDF asymmetric board I made for the new system. How would a 30 year old isolation board shape up?

It sounded very good although the system needed further time to warm up, I'm not going anywhere . . . after an hour or so I started to be drawn to a midrange that I did not know existed. Where had the warm sound gone? Yes, I had not realised the warm sound was a colouration, in its place was a mid and upper mid-range that was natural but beguiling? presenting information I had not heard before, leading edges were sharper, the more I listened, the more I became aware of the sort of sound that is so relaxing, and easy to listen to. It sees less volume is required to appreciate the dynamics, highs and lows of the performance, the image is pin sharp.

There is a distinct sound change . . . for the good, a colouration has gone leaving clear and crisp musicality. I like it, its not clinical, simply revealing, I’m enjoying the music . . . sitting here at 1.45am, listening Nat King Cole, beautiful, I normally listen to Spotify when at the computer!

Ho-hum, more Horlicks hours when Hazel comes home . . . not many post from CJSF in the future? I wonder if this post will be ripped apart by those members (when they find it?). They seem to have more interest in causing distress, than in hifi?

CJSF

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi cjsf, sorry to hear about Hazel's latest - let's hope the Horlicks is back on the menu very soon !!!!

There's lots of us out here enjoying our music and appreciating your input (and personal advice on moving coil cartridges etc that's really improved my listening pleasure).

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hey CJ , easy for me to say but try not to worry too much. Hazel needs you strong not falling apart at the seams. Best wishes to her and for a speedy recovery.

Yip, cheese on toast can get a tad boring after a few days ;).

Anyway, if you can put your heart into it, now is as good a time as ever to have a bash at your wall mount. It may help to take your mind off things a little.

Ignore the ankle snapping terriers if poss mate.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Try a thin scraping of Marmite on the toast before you put the cheese on top, adds some umami flavour, makes a big difference, even if you don't like Marmite. Worcestershire sauce is a good alternative. Those bagged salads form the supermarket are quite good now, bit of that with some coleslaw on the side to go with it, makes it a little bit healthier at least.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Try a thin scraping of Marmite on the toast before you put the cheese on top, adds some umami flavour, makes a big difference, even if you don't like Marmite. Worcestershire sauce is a good alternative.
Or put a layer of 'Spam' underneath

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Try a thin scraping of Marmite on the toast before you put the cheese on top, adds some umami flavour, makes a big difference, even if you don't like Marmite. Worcestershire sauce is a good alternative. Those bagged salads form the supermarket are quite good now, bit of that with some coleslaw on the side to go with it, makes it a little bit healthier at least.

Funny you should say that The_Lhc, run out of bag salad, I like the one with all the 'tender tips', out of coleslaw too, I make my own, with all sorts of extra flavours, a favourite is cheese, celery and sweet corn . . . just aint got the heart at the moment, so cheese on toast, like Marmite and forgot about adding Worstershire sauce . . . thanks, that will do for tonights offering?

I will have to go shopping soon . . . running out of cornflakes!

Yes Floyd, clearing of the shed will facilitate the making of wall bracket and associated items . . . although when Hazel comes home I doubt I'll have time and my enthusiasm for things hifi apart from a bit of a listen is not high at present? Hazel has broken her hip joint, so I'm going to be very busy looking after her needs???? Plenty of time as the 'summer???' progresses.

First things first . . . dont fall apart . . . The way I feel, a tough call but I have come back from a very long lasting and dark place over the past 12 months. I can feel the signs, dont give in, it would be a waste wouldn’t it? Hazel is so chirpy when I go and visit, she has got the bit between her teeth to get back to normal, it will keep me going? She says how much she misses the music . . .

CJSF:?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:

I started with Worcester sauce and now, after years of tweaking, favour a few splashes of Worcester sauce, tomato sauce and Tabasco sauce. On thick cut homemade bread, of course.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
On thick cut homemade bread, of course.

Of course. I also churn my own butter (I'm an Android user after all Mr Hobbs...) and spread it with a butter knife forged in my own smithy. I'm a proper country gent me. I think I spelt that right...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
BenLaw said:

Of course. I also churn my own butter (I'm an Android user after all Mr Hobbs...) and spread it with a butter knife forged in my own smithy. I'm a proper country gent me. I think I spelt that right...

I suspect you'd find bread making machines have rather simplified things from the butter churning / metal forging levels of difficulty, but this may be another symptom of the apple / android distinction.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Its visiting time . . . so by all. I'll be around 'on the side' as we used to say on the CB . . . O'boy, I'm glad I grew out of that one.

I dont think I will risk to much in the way of posting in the future, dont want to get involved, the signes are still there . . . we want a quiet life, do me and Hazel . . . :?

CJSF :wave:

Paul.

Best cheese ever...

simply-gorgeous-recloseable.jpg

Got some in the fridge, I have a hankering for toasted cheese now :)

Paul.

The_Lhc said:
BenLaw said:

If I had an Android I would command it to churn butter for me, that sounds like work :p

Dear CJ, I haven't been around here much for a while, but I have enjoyed your posts and remember when you first arrived!

Please don't feel down if it's because of a few posts here. It can be unpleasant if you feel at the end of some comments. People can be strange when anonymous, though that's very much the exception here, IMO. You always have the music!

Take care, and hope Hazel is soon better.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi CJ I have just read your post I do hope that Hazel makes a speedy recovery and If you dont post any more I for one will miss your input all the best

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts