A Group Test with a difference?

I love reading WHFI one make group tests, they are popular for obvious reasons, aesthetics, sound etc.

What I would like to see in future editions is a mix 'n' match test. I like to juggle with different makes, so I would like to read and see the end results of the synergy of this example system:

Cyrus 8VS2

Exposure 2010s

Monitor Audio RS6 speakers.

These are just the first makes that sprung to mind, whatever combo's WHFI can conjure from their vast stocks, across all price brackets, would be brilliant.

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:I can imagine that to be a terribly fatiguing system.

You had me at Cyrus.ÿ

Eddie Pound:I can imagine that to be a terribly fatiguing system.

They were just brands that popped into my head, as an example.

It seems we all advise others [me included] on what we think are good matches, thought it would be a brilliant idea to see how a mix 'n' match would stand up to an all-same-make system.

A

Anonymous

I think there's some mileage in this and it reminds me of, dare I say it, a feature in Hifi News every month. The problem is, different people prefer and need different things. What works in a small, heavily damped room might suffer a lot in a reflective one. Etc, etc.

What Hifi have indeed done this type of group test in the past and, if I remember correctly, it was split over price bracket.

A

Anonymous

PP I was only joking earlier of course. I think your suggestion is a good one. The only problem I have with it is that I sometimes momentarily largely go against WHF ratings and suggestions. Though I agree it would be helpful to a newcomer looking for direction.

Octopo:PP I was only joking earlier of course. I think your suggestion is a good one. The only problem I have with it is that I sometimes momentarily largely go against WHF ratings and suggestions. Though I agree it would be helpful to a newcomer looking for direction.

Joke? What's that?. . . .[pp taps his fingers]. . .
emotion-5.gif

Course not every one agrees with WHFI conclusions, but in all fairness they do mention this, others may prefer [or suited better] with other brands away from the five stars. I'm a perfect example of that.

It will be a success because the audiophile will have, especially the less experienced one's, an alternative to the one make set-up. Moreover, it'll be a damn good read to boot.

TRENDING THREADS