Turntables - a group test

I was wondering if there has ever been a Group Test of mid to high end turntables.

Whilst we see the occasional review of them I cannot recall a group test (somebody is going to prove me wrong here I know it).

With the current resurgent interest in vinyl, and the fact I'm thinking of upgrading myself, I feel it would make good copy. Could be done using the same arm / cartridge combo on similar mount turntables possibly.

I don't get the opportunity to audition amny back-to-back here in Wales.

How would recent Origin Live tables stack up against old-retainers like the Michell Orbe I wonder?

How about it Andrew??

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Mags can only test whats lobbed their way cant they. Mich dont need flippin group tests mate, gawd they have been going long enough,plus they dont bring out a new TT every five mins to glean your hard earned from you, because they dont have to resort to that either. Personaly i cant see the point in group tests of any kind to be honest, but i guess some peeps appreciate them.
emotion-2.gif

Edit. Although i seem to remember the technodec in a 'Choice' group test a couple of yrs ago, but maybe that was a personaly owned jobbie

Matey at Origin puts a lot of time and effort into his gear, i doubt very much if you will ever see one of his TTs being pitted against a P5 or whathave you, but you never know.

Edit 2. Ok, so lets say that half a dozen oil rig type decks are used with the same arm and cart, as the op suggests. What do you glean from deck A coming bottom of the pile ( when the arm and cart used are well known for not being a great match with that deck). Do you cross it off your list ?. Get my drift here ?.

Hi Floyd

Might have to disagree with you a tad in this instance.

Mich do not bring out turntables every month I agree but they are quick enough to add upgrade kits for most of the turntables they do produce.

I note your point on group tests but personally think they are very useful. For newbies or people like me that live in the sticks and do not have they ability to audition kit in the way more fortunates are Group Tests are an ideal way of cutting down your shortlists of what exactly to audition. Just listening to one or two items or reading a one-off review is not enough to establish a piece of equipments benefits over anothers.

Mark Butler at Origin Live certainly does put in a lot of time and effort which is why it is so good, hence my upcoming 'all change' on the turntable front. Refurb Origin Live deck on its way very shortly.

But that's my point, if had access to a group test years ago i might not have splashed the cash on my Roksan Radius if somebody had done the legwork and brought to my attention how good deck Origin Live equivalent is to the Roksan.

I understand your point about arm / deck suitability but my idea was in regards to decks that come fitted with manufacturers tonearms in the first place or those that come without but have a 'highly recommended to use with' arm associated to them.

I guess, ultimately, everyone has their own opinon on the value of group tests.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Mornin Mr Alears. We appear to have had a post deleted of which my reply had some of it relating to, heyho. Think i misunderstood your post a tad. I read it as 'a group of decks using the same arm and cart. Anyways, i wasnt being contentious or any thing like that, and have to say that i wasnt putting my thoughts across all that clearly. Yup if you cant get to audition, well its a minefield isnt it. Plus the reluctance of dealers to send dem units out makes it even more of a toughie ( hold fire dealers,i know it means you lashing out on this that and the other without getting a sale at the end of it).

In the mid to higher end department, well you are not going to get a puppy, just different sounding decks, in how they put the music across. But a deck poo poohed for being ' all slam and wallop' might be just what you are after !!.

What OL deck are you getting, and have you splashed out on one of his arms too ?. Just out of interest btw.

Footnote. When did Mark change his surname
emotion-5.gif

Afternoon Floyd Droid,

OK so I was half asleep when I replied ('tis but a hard life I lead 'ere at work).

Mr. Baker does indeed come up with some very nice cookies (I knew it began with a 'B')

FYI I have just purchased a very nice, refurbished by the man, Aurora Gold for not an unreasonable lot of dosh. (Had to have it as Bretty had the Michell Gyrodec I was looking at on the bay).

I intend to keep my Tabriz arm for a while until pennies in the coffer to go for something like an Origin Live Encounter in the future.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Ah but Bretty could end up bankrupt at the end of the day, only kidding Bretty. S'pose it makes sense to save up for one of Marks arms later on, you never know he may have a trade in for sale when you are ready. Enjoy your new baby mate.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:Ah but Bretty could end up bankrupt at the end of the day, only kidding Bretty. S'pose it makes sense to save up for one of Marks arms later on, you never know he may have a trade in for sale when you are ready. Enjoy your new baby mate.

Haha! Good Stuff. Do you reckon the Gyrodec will make a good pillow, when i'm destitute, out on the streets?

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Alears, that deck is a beauty! Well done. mate.

For anyone else unfamiliar with the Aurora Gold, like I was, check this out:

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Well , chaps , it seems that it was my post that got censored , I guess because I mentioned another publication . Well , whatever . However , before it was exterminated it managed to spark a bit of a discussion which has been quite helpful to me , as for the last week or two I have been in a bit of a quandary as to which turntable to set my sights on . Initially I thought that the Roksan Radius would be the one to go for , but then someone mentioned the Gyrodec and that looked like the way to go , now the Origin Live Calypso is also on the list . Which way to turn ? I don't have the money at the moment for any of them as I have to many bills to pay , but I would like to think that some time next year I'd be in a position to get one . The group test that has been discussed include both the Radius and the Gyrodec and they came out about equal , but out of the two I now favour the Gyrodec . So how does it compare with a Calypso ? I guess the only way to find out for sure is to find a dealer who stock both and be prepared to travel some distance to listen to them both , but it would be interesting to hear from anyone who does know both tables for some insight .

Well done , Brett for snaffling that Gyrodec . I look forward to seeing what you think of it when you have it set up and spinning your favourite discs .

Nick

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
shropshire lad:

Well done , Brett for snaffling that Gyrodec . I look forward to seeing what you think of it when you have it set up and spinning your favourite discs .

Nick

Thanks, Nick. I'll definitely post my findings, when it's up and running.

That's a great shortlist you've got. Whichever way you choose to go, you're gonna have a great deck. I hope the funds become available for you soon, mate!

bretty:

Alears, that deck is a beauty! Well done. mate.

For anyone else unfamiliar with the Aurora Gold, like I was, check this out:

Many thanks Bretty.

I have not yet figured out how to add images to postings. However that's the baby. Now to get a few more quid in the bank before seeking out an OL Illustrious.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I believe I'm going to enjoy mine!

By the way its another £54 for your new springs!!"

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Dont forget a few quid more for a cart. Ok your denon is the better version than the tinternet special, but you will be doing the arm and deck an injustice ( and your lugholes) if you dont.

Think zyx or maybe dynavector / lyra. Better still pick marks brains.

floyd droid:

Dont forget a few quid more for a cart. Ok your denon is the better version than the tinternet special, but you will be doing the arm and deck an injustice ( and your lugholes) if you dont.

Think zyx or maybe dynavector / lyra. Better still pick marks brains.

I'm alteady there Floydy. A good mate of mine had one of these back in 2005...what a sound. His set-up with the Illustrious was some type of Shelter cartridge cannot recall exactly which one and you do not see many of those around these days.

Agreed the DL103R might be a bit out of its depth here but as long as the Tabriz arm is on the turntable it will stay as they match each other very well, to my ears anyway. Will be shortlisting (utilising Mr. B's brains) something along the lines of Zyx R50, Lyra Dorian or Dynavector Karat 17D3.

Cheers!

TRENDING THREADS