A great upgrade.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
As the title suggests , I can safely say the cheapest and best upgrade you can do is leave your stereo turned off for 4-5 weeks.

I’ll explain, before this lockdown was imposed on us all, I used to get in from work and was able to listen to my system for approx 3 to 4 hours a day, as loud as I wanted as I’m not joined to any neighbours, heaven. Since lockdown my wife and daughter have both been at home, this presented a problem. I decided to buy myself a pair of headphones and I’ve been making do, as I’ve been listening in my own little world my thoughts have drifted to how I could motive my stereo, what could I upgrade etc.

Anyway, the other day they both had to go out and I was able to fire up the system and listen through my speakers again, I had generally forgotten how enjoyable it was, so much so that all thoughts of upgrading have been shelved. So, the next time you think of spending large sums of money, just switch everything off for a few weeks and do something else. It will make you appreciate your system when you turn it back on and save you a small fortune.

Just thought I’d share.

scene

It's a classic case of familiarity breeds contempt. You listen to your system every day, and all you hear are the faults. You've had to listen to lower quality sources for a while, and then you're reminded just how good you system really sounds...

Glad your happy :)

Reactions: Gonepostal

Gray

As the title suggests , I can safely say the cheapest and best upgrade you can do is leave your stereo turned off for 4-5 weeks.

I’ll explain, before this lockdown was imposed on us all, I used to get in from work and was able to listen to my system for approx 3 to 4 hours a day, as loud as I wanted as I’m not joined to any neighbours, heaven. Since lockdown my wife and daughter have both been at home, this presented a problem. I decided to buy myself a pair of headphones and I’ve been making do, as I’ve been listening in my own little world my thoughts have drifted to how I could motive my stereo, what could I upgrade etc.

Anyway, the other day they both had to go out and I was able to fire up the system and listen through my speakers again, I had generally forgotten how enjoyable it was, so much so that all thoughts of upgrading have been shelved. So, the next time you think of spending large sums of money, just switch everything off for a few weeks and do something else. It will make you appreciate your system when you turn it back on and save you a small fortune.

Just thought I’d share.
There's the saying that a change is as good as a rest.
I've always said that a rest is as good as a change.
I've certainly experienced renewed appreciation after a bit of a break.

Spent a few years working in clubs / live music venues....when listening to the same tracks next day, without the distortion, on my hi-fi is when I appreciated the quality, massively.

How good are the Kef Headphones you bought? Maybe you could do better.....though speakers will always be preferred by most I suspect.

Apart from your hearing, you've got the greatest gift of all - and you know it......the detached house. Glad that you make good use of it (y)

There's the saying that a change is as good as a rest.
I've always said that a rest is as good as a change.
I've certainly experienced renewed appreciation after a bit of a break.

Spent a few years working in clubs / live music venues....when listening to the same tracks next day, without the distortion, on my hi-fi is when I appreciated the quality, massively.

How good are the Kef Headphones you bought? Maybe you could do better.....though speakers will always be preferred by most I suspect.

Apart from your hearing, you've got the greatest gift of all - and you know it......the detached house. Glad that you make good use of it (y)
I can concur a detached house is the best upgrade I have ever made, somewhat more expensive than cables thought..... :)
Damn, I told my I wasn't going to mention cables......

D

Deleted member 188533

One of the things I like best about headphones is having multiple pairs each with its own distinct sound signature that can be used in rotation. It's a whole lot easier and cheaper than doing the same with speakers and it keeps things fresh.

Reactions: Gonepostal and Gray
Not quite Monkey old chap, I had use of the Hifi but I had my headphones plugged into the amp so I couldn’t hear my speakers. Once I could use it properly I was reminded how great it all was.
No headphone socket in sight. No headphones either, for that matter!

We extended a decade or so ago, so that not only are we detached, the extension was built with hifi and AV in mind. I can shut the doors and make as much noise as I like - at least during hours carefully negotiated!

Reactions: Gonepostal

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I'm no psychologist, but the OP seems to make an important point here about how we habituate to higher quality and fail to appreciate what we have. I've been listening to my system more since I've been working from home - not travelling away from the region I live, or working late at the office. I've made a couple of upgrades - one to my Tidal subscription and the other to my stylus - both made an immediate difference to my two main sources, but after a while they become the new normal, and I start thinking of other ways I can improve the system - perhaps with a new streamer / DAC, maybe a new amplifier.... I'm going to have to go back to the office and start travelling again soon or this is going to start getting expensive...

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts