A good match? CA Azur 540C V2, Marantz PM6002, and which speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm something of a novice in the world of audio technology, and I come cap in hand asking for the help of the cognoscenti. I'm looking to buy my first separates system. I have around £100-150 to spend on speakers; up to £250 on a cd player; and up to £250 on an amplifier. Having trawled many, many forums and review sites, I have very tentatively settled on the following: Cambridge Audio Azur 540C V2 - cd player Marantz PM6002 - amplifier Mordaunt Short Avant 902i - bookshelf speakers Is there a problem with this combination that I haven't discovered? Most importantly, it seems that choosing the right speakers is a rather delicate business. Have I chosen wisely? Any help very much appreciated indeed.

A

Anonymous

I wonder why you've opted for the Marantz amp over the Cambridge 540A V2. The Cambridge surely would be the ideal compliment to the CD player.

http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=CAMB-540A-V2-SIL

Speakers sound like a good choice, alternatively you could get a set of Wharfdale 9.1 for the same price. Looking around at the reviews, these offer a good quality of sound for a very small price tag.

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/474

Generally though, you can't go far wrong with the set up, whichever way you choose. Best bet is to pop down to Richer Sounds or similar and get them to set both kits up, do a bit of a swap around and see which combo performs best for you.

A

Anonymous

or why not get the marantz cd6002 best buy up to 500 in whfi ultimate guide,its 200 from either richer or peter tyson. demo it at richer but be wary of their advice as they will undoubtably steer you to cambridge as theyre the authorised dealersand have a better profit margin on them. if you prefer the cambridge then go for it but give them all fair unbiased audition

A

Anonymous

Marantz PM6002 n CD6002 is a great perfect match (at this budget)...

A

Anonymous

Maybe match the 540C with the Cambridge amp. I have the 540 amp and have biwired a pair of MA BR2s on the end. Love them. Have a listen and then if possible try and stretch your budget. I am sure you find its worth the extra couple of quid.

Have a look in Richer sounds...they have a deal on for the 540 amp, 640 cd player and a free pair of s30 speakers. ay be worth a look.

John Duncan

6002 over the 540 any day - the 640c can stand toe-to-toe with the Marantz, but the 540 can't. The free speakers might sway you, but personally I'd pay the extra for the Diamonds............

matthewpiano

Excellent advice from JohnDuncan. Stick with the Marantz 6002 CD and amp - they are both much better than the Cambridge 540 components. I would also vote for the Diamonds over the S30s. The S30s are fine little speakers but they can sound a bit muddy and don't have the all-round talents of the Wharfedales. I had a pair of S30s briefly but wasn't satisfied with them for very long. You might also want to try the MS 902is with the Marantz kit, although I think the Diamonds offer a much more balanced sound.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Another vote here for the Marantz combination over the Cambridge Audio - i have demo'd them and would choose Marantz or NAD in this price bracket. I also had the Cambridge S30 speakers for a short while and agree they are generally good at the price with strong bass but i also found them muddy and unclear in detail. I sold them after a few months to buy Epos M5's, but would agree on the Diamonds as great speakers at the price you are looking at.

A

Anonymous

A vote for the Diamonds here also. In my experience they're pretty much the same as the Quad 11Ls without all the piano gloss bells and whistles (and obviously they're ported differently) They represent excellent value.

A

Anonymous

If you are UK based, some shopping around will get you the Marantz amp/CD combo and the Epos M5 speakers within your budget. Nothing better to be had for £650 IMHO.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I really appreciate all the advice. I'm going in to Richer Sounds tomorrow to audition the Marantz CD player and amplifier combo with the Wharfedale speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts