a fresh start

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Good morning all. This is my first visit to this forum, having just disposed of a full 2 channel Naim system. I am now looking for a home cinema / 2 channel combination. I didn't get on with Naim as at usual listening levels the sound lacked bass and was too dry for me. I now want to source a dvd player, amp and speaker combo, for up to £2k. I am sold on the idea of a sub to give me the depth and warmth I need for music and the slam for tv, even at moderate levels. Having looked at offers around, I am taken by Arcam kit, maybe end of line such as DV88/AVR250 combo. I want to go seperate to give flexibility for future upgrades. I like the look of conventional speaker packages from the likes of Mission, M6 5.1 v2 I think, or the Quad lite package. I have a 32" Hitachi lcd with one HDMI input so I want upscaling capability and possibly HDMI switching. The savings on some of this discontinued kit seem huge. Would this be a wise move or has latest kit moved on to mitigate the savings.

Recommendations gratefully received

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Can you let me know what you're looking at paying for the DVD player and receiver? Then I can come up with a better idea of value for money and any alternatives...

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew

Note sure to be honest. Research suggests about £500 for the DVD, £700 for the receiver and £700 for speakers. I am not sure if I need to buy cables or if I would get them included with the hardware. And I need a phono stage for my trusty lp12, which I am budgetting £100 for. Is this split ok, or does source first apply here and I should be allocating more to the player. There is flexibility in the budget. 2 channel music is quite important but I am not an audiophile by any stretch.

Dave

A

Anonymous

I spoke to a local dealer today who suggested an OnkyoTX-RS705, Denon DVD-2930 and Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom speaker package. Any comments? I understand this would give me the best stereo performance for the money. Am I correct in believing the Onkyo has a phono stage built in? Also, I wonder if the upgrade option to the F1 Custom floorstanders is worthwhil, at about £250?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts