A First for me . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Last night I watched a DVD on the computer, sound streamed via the hifi. A first as the computer replaces the old one that did not have DVD facility.

The film was 'Top Gun' which I know well, having seen it often on my old dedicated DVD player and at lots of demos.

My hifi is a standard 2 channel audiophile set up, the 24" monitor is on the desk between the speakers, so nothing spectacular on visual . . . however, audio was out of this world. The computer was set to 'Theatre mode'. I can only say that the sound was all enveloping, powerful, with a sound stage that dissolved the boundary walls of the room in all directions!

Set me thinking as I laid in bed, I have never played a CD on the computer? . . . That was my mission this morning. Up, wash, cornflakes and a cuppa, set to; . . . disappointing . . . I'm fortunate to have, Computer, CDp and Vinyl reply through an audiophile quality system.

. . . :? so why, I tried all options, CD via the computer, Spotify, CD via the Rega Apollo CDp and vinyl all through the same amp and speakers.

Sadly CD via computer was flat, Computer/Spotify was much better, the Apollo played the CD very nicely, with the vinyl giving the best rendition from Jennifer Warnes with depth and a tangible organic performance.

I find this strange, especially as the DVD film audio (theatre mode) was very exciting . . . all special effects of course.

Its been a long time since I heard any form of multichannel system, but my 2 channels seem to do a fair job of putting me on an aircraft carrier and being involved in an F14-Mig 28 dog fight . . . ?

I will be trying a few other DVDs see how they come over . . . ?

DVD aint hifi . . . but it sure is fun :bounce:

CJSF

SteveR750

Top Gun + HI Fi = huge grin, one of my faveourite films only because of the stunning aerial photography. Slightly OT, but I have got my Sont blu ray player conncted to the dacmagic via an optical cable, and all I get is silence...I think it is because the defailt audio output of the Sony is 5.1 and of course the DAC can only decode 2.0. Damned if i can find the way to change the output!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Top Gun + HI Fi = huge grin, one of my faveourite films only because of the stunning aerial photography. Slightly OT, but I have got my Sont blu ray player conncted to the dacmagic via an optical cable, and all I get is silence...I think it is because the defailt audio output of the Sony is 5.1 and of course the DAC can only decode 2.0. Damned if i can find the way to change the output!

Yep, aerial photography, superb special effects that are so good through the hifi and maybe Kelly McGillis . . . ? I have had a love of aircraft for 60 years. One has a preference for 2 wings and an egg whisk on the front, but 'wing and a tail' generally gets my attention. Tonight we will have another go, maybe 'Perfect Storm' . . . ? Boats and fishing another passion . . . depends on how the snooker pans out?

:)

:rockout:

CJSF

John Duncan

SteveR750 said:

Which player?

John Duncan

Whichever, it should be in Setup/Audio/Downmix settings. Can't quite work out whether you have to set it for each of DD/DTS, but that would appear to be the place to start. P21 of the manual :)

SteveR750

John Duncan said:
SteveR750 said:

Which player?

It's the sony bdp330 or 370?

£99 on offer from amazon a year or so ago, the one the WHF recommended. I'm not at home right now, so cannot check, but I thought I had fixed it once. The problem is I can't find the audio settings menu!

John Duncan

The 370. Mine is in a mate's house just now so I can't say definitively, but from memory I think you press 'Home' to get the crossbar menu, and the settings menu is right over on the left, and then you scroll down to Audio.

If you also have a Sony TV, make sure 'HDMI Control' is turned off, otherwise you can end up with the TV menu instead, if I recall :)

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
The 370. Mine is in a mate's house just now so I can't say definitively, but from memory I think you press 'Home' to get the crossbar menu, and the settings menu is right over on the left, and then you scroll down to Audio.

Correct, then choose between Coaxial/Optical, HDMI Or Stereo Analogue ........for Audio Output Priority.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
. . . Tonight we will have another go, maybe 'Perfect Storm' . . . ? Boats and fishing another passion . . . depends on how the snooker pans out?

:rockout:

CJSF

. . . 'Perfect Storm', none of the special sound effects of Top Gun . . . but a great movie, the hifi really adds to the experience and atmosphere, Hazel sat there, her comment . . . "its like being in the cinema" . . . back row, lights off . . . :)

CJSF

SteveR750

moon said:
John Duncan said:

Correct, then choose between Coaxial/Optical, HDMI Or Stereo Analogue ........for Audio Output Priority.

Thanks, I owe you two many beers. The trick is to adjust te settings before you start watching a film, not ten minutes into it....

TRENDING THREADS