Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge

Speakers: Monitor Audio BR5's

EDss4JI48Sconmwq52WdGlVg0_Qs7LaSLNnd_b2G63s6=w899-h599-no

johnmc

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
R2x3Oz7JrxRT8m1ANvL6w2UAaqI4IIssSODBtmB_tBBO=w899-h599-no
T9Q64BX56uYsrCE0hB6Al7pUAFObpL11m8mWDtxPkMtM=w899-h599-no
Just in case any of you have spotted the unusual ornaments, they are presents my brother in law buys me whenever he travels abroad.

Comments or advice is more than welcome.

John

johnmc

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
but cant help feel that your speakers are to close to the wall and corner

Ya, I have been moving them around a little as wasn't happy where they were. I guess the photos make it look worse that they really are. Thanks.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
if he's happy, leave him be :D

What I read didn't read well, "more suitable" would have sounded better. I agree 100%, if someone's happy with what they have all is well and good. Having said that it does surprise me how often we see speakers, often biggish floorstanders, placed tight in corners. My placement is far from ideal; I can't get them far enough apart, but I'm pleased they are at least 1.5 metres from the corners of the room.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree that BX5 needs a bit of space.

And right next to the wooden stand that your turntable rest on?

But if the sounds good. Fair play to you.

johnmc

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
I understand what you all mean about the speakers positioning. I have been moving them around to try and find a better balance with the room layout and sound. But the pictures and the narrow angles make it look a little worse than it is. But, yes I admit the far off speaker next to the bookshelf is a little boxed in. I'll look at it again, if only to appease you guys. *smile*

johnmc

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
And right next to the wooden stand that your turntable rest on?

I had it this way but found that that speaker was right in my seating position, so it meant I couldn't hear the other speaker properly. It's why I moved it wider to the other side of the book shelf.

IMG_3107.JPG

There is plenty of room by the left speaker for it to 'sing' I suppose.

IMG_3108.JPG

But while the right hand one is a little cramped and narrow there is a bit of room behind it. Not ideal I know, but better than having right in my line of where I sit.

IMG_3109.JPG

The rest of the room.

IMG_3110.JPG

IMG_3111.JPG

Father Ted (Father Hernandez present) themed presents from around the world. Ahem!

IMG_3112.JPG

And finally, a Legend from Brazil.

IMG_3113.JPG

johnmc

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
paulselwood said:
I just, took a couples of photos, of my set up. I will post tomorrow, so everyone can, tell me how bad my room decor looks. :(

Funilly enough, I know what you mean. But I take their criticism as only meaning they care about taking time to help me achieve the max from my equipment. I look forward to savaging you're set up. :)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol......

One suggestion is move your speakers forward for those long listening sessions.

Isolate your tt. A couple of squash balls cut in half under the feet - you may hear the difference.

A ceramic tile under the speakers too to isolate them from the wooden floor on rubber pads.

The proximity of the boxes to a wooden stand suggest it may be affected by resonance from the bass. Something that a quality stylus will pick up.

I'm not a decorating guru or anything like that but a dedicated stand plus better units for storage may be a consideration.....lol.

How would you describe the sound you currently get from your set?

johnmc

Apr 25, 2015
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol......

Isolate your tt. A couple of squash balls cut in half under the feet - you may hear the difference.

A ceramic tile under the speakers too to isolate them from the wooden floor on rubber pads.

The proximity of the boxes to a wooden stand suggest it may be affected by resonance from the bass. Something that a quality stylus will pick up.

I'm not a decorating guru or anything like that but a dedicated stand plus better units for storage may be a consideration.....lol.

Thanks. I would describe the sound as better. The Phono Box DS has made a massive difference to the turntable. But playing Radioead's In Rainbows yesterday had me wondering again if all was adequate again. I will try your suggestions with the tiles tomorrow. I have some left over in the garage after moving house lasy year.

I'd love to be able to buy proper dedicated stands and storage units but I've many more things to spend my wages on other than those things at the moment. So the current unit will have to suffice.

John

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
johnmc said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Lol......

Thanks. I would describe the sound as better. The Phono Box DS has made a massive difference to the turntable. But playing Radioead's In Rainbows yesterday had me wondering again if all was adequate again. I will try your suggestions with the tiles tomorrow. I have some left over in the garage after moving house lasy year.

I'd love to be able to buy proper dedicated stands and storage units but I've many more things to spend my wages on other than those things at the moment. So the current unit will have to suffice.

John

That bit was just teasing.

But see how you get on with the other suggestions..... ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts