A CDP for £350... Rega Apollo or Arcam FMJ CD17 ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a choice of a new boxed Rega Apollo or a new "display" Arcam CD17.

Both slver, both £350.

What would you pick and why, please?
To go with Audiolab 8000A and Kef Ref 2.2's.

Might use Black Box 3 DAC, but don't have to.
Cheers

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Both players are a little more laid back than the average CD player, so should work well. You'll probably find the Rega is a little warmer and sweeter, and the Arcam a little more neutral in comparison.

One thing I would say, is that although the Audiolab will drive the 2.2's to a point, but it'll be far from ideal. It just won't have the control or dynamics the 2.2's demand. I'd look for a used 8000P to add (or even some 8000M's if you can find them), which will make your 2.2's sound like you never realised they could :)

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Can't comment on the Rega but I have the Arcam and am very pleased with it. Digs up a lot more detail than my previous CDP which was the Nad 545BEE. It's a very neutral sounding player that doesn't emphasise any part of the audio spectrum. You will hear what's on the disc, nothing more, nothing less. A great player that will be an easy match for most systems.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sabby said:
Can't comment on the Rega but I have the Arcam and am very pleased with it. Digs up a lot more detail than my previous CDP which was the Nad 545BEE. It's a very neutral sounding player that doesn't emphasise any part of the audio spectrum. You will hear what's on the disc, nothing more, nothing less. A great player that will be an easy match for most systems.

Sabby, why did you change your amp and how are you getting on with the CA?

Sorry to OP for diversion.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi CnoEvil

The reason I changed amps was that the Unico was struggling to drive the MG12's to any realistic levels. The bass was also almost non existant, again due to a lack of sufficient power, although I must say the midrange did sound absolutely superb which TBH is the Unico's greatest strength. The CA has quite a lot more power than the Unico and drives the MG12's quite well. The bass is the area that has improved the most. The bass notes that went missing are now all there and I can now appreciate how good these speakers are especially in revealing subtle details and nuances that are simply overlooked by lesser speakers. Not the ideal speaker for rock or loud music, but ideal for the type of music that I listen to.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting, Sabby. My Nait 5i doesn't seem to have much trouble with the bass, though I have wondered whether a more powerful amp - was thinking Electrocompaniet or Abrahamsen - might improve matters further, but then I start listening and think "what the ****" , pour out a glass of Brown Bros best and don't worry about it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sabby said:
Hi CnoEvil

The reason I changed amps was that the Unico was struggling to drive the MG12's to any realistic levels. The bass was also almost non existant, again due to a lack of sufficient power, although I must say the midrange did sound absolutely superb which TBH is the Unico's greatest strength. The CA has quite a lot more power than the Unico and drives the MG12's quite well. The bass is the area that has improved the most. The bass notes that went missing are now all there and I can now appreciate how good these speakers are especially in revealing subtle details and nuances that are simply overlooked by lesser speakers. Not the ideal speaker for rock or loud music, but ideal for the type of music that I listen to.

Thx Sabby.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon if you are happy with the Nait 5i then just enjoy and don't give it another thought. For me personally the CA has made a big difference and I am hearing things that I had missed with the Unico, especially in the bass. You can always get by with a less powerful amp, but until you've heard what a bigger amp can do you will always have that nagging doubt :?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Sabby said:
You can always get by with a less powerful amp, but until you've heard what a bigger amp can do you will always have that nagging doubt :?

Sowing the seeds I see......just come out and say it, that for total contentment to break out, AL needs an Electrocompaniet. :shifty:

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Sabby said:
You can always get by with a less powerful amp, but until you've heard what a bigger amp can do you will always have that nagging doubt :?

Sowing the seeds I see......just come out and say it, that for total contentment to break out, AL needs an Electrocompaniet. :shifty:

OK I'll say it. AL you DEFINITELY need the Electrocompaniet :poke:

I'm sure AL already knows that, just needs to be reminded occasionally ;)

Sabby said:
altruistic.lemon if you are happy with the Nait 5i then just enjoy and don't give it another thought. For me personally the CA has made a big difference and I am hearing things that I had missed with the Unico, especially in the bass. You can always get by with a less powerful amp, but until you've heard what a bigger amp can do you will always have that nagging doubt :?

TBH, when I've heard the Nait 5i it's astonishing the amount of oomph that thing gives out. In fact if the Nait 5i is only 50 watts per channel, call me Squirrel Nutkins.

A

Anonymous

You can pick up an Arcam CD17 for £300 second hand with warranty

A

Anonymous

it's a big world out there, a link would help :)

...but for £50 extra a new unused one, with warranty, might tempt me more than used.

Do I like the lift top Rega or drawer cd loading Arcam, hmm, lift top seems so Alan Partridge... "Yep, nice action!"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts