"a CD transport doesn't affect sound quality"

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 116933

Sorry to hear about your dyslexia millennia - please don't take my ramblings personally. There is not one person on here that is free of mistakes - and why should there be?
I said I'd like a quid for every mistake....TrevC then kindly pointed out one I made above :unsure:
It's more about what you say, than how you write it and you talk a lot of sense (y)

Much appreciated fella

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 116933

Word.
Cannot say I have noticed spelling problems or that it should be a commentable problem anyway.
Makes my blood boil when I remember how dyslexia was the cause of misery to so many years ago when a little understanding was all that was needed.

It just takes me a little longer is all and a slightly different way of learning. as you say its very misunderstood and still is. It's the frustration more than anything I can get really angry with it sometimes not at others myself

abacus

I get what you mean Bill but your answer and logic is a little confusing.
If there is a new format that's how it goes isn't it?
I use cd 90% records 10% to listen to music.
I stream to hear new bands or on the move.
The actual idea that people will revert to physical media given the use of tablets and phones is absurd.
People love Ford Capris but they are for a dwindling bunch of enthusiasts.
Hi-fi as we know it Bill is over. Carrying streamable high quality music that requires one device for home, car , walking or by the pool on holiday . Come on man , for us the physical format this is true. Everything , everything points to the fact you couldn't be more wrong.

I have a lot of original Vinyl and CDs (Not the remastered rubbish that you get on streaming services) so streaming these is not an option, however I never play them (Which is great for vinyl as every time you play them they wear a little bit more) but listen to them a lot, and the way I do this is because I have them recorded or ripped to my NAS which I can access anywhere in the world if I wish. (They also don’t take up much room as they are stored in boxes in the loft)

Streaming services have their place and I use them a lot, but they fall well short when it comes to the older original stuff.

For Hi-Fi to work you need to sit down and relax so that you can immerse yourself, which is why that in spite being able to stream music anywhere, it is not the same. (Hi-Fi has always been a very small niche market which will continue into the future, the only difference being Alexa (And others) will select the albums via your voice)

You don’t need to ignore the old to embrace the new.

Bill

Jimboo

No , I agree. However it isn't what I meant or wrote.
A niche market it maybe but that is the very market that is developing streaming boxes , DAC /Bluetooth/Spotify connect friendly amplifiers and active speakers. The industry knows that the times they are a changin. Linn, naim , Kef etc , etc. are riding the new source.
Record players in a box and digital c.ds presented in black platters suggest the vinyl revival is not about how it sounds.
I think the literally billions of pads and phones owned around the world means to hear music for most streaming is the best and most obvious choice. Try explaining to people that you can stream from your phone but it's better to rip your originals to another drive and use that instead of an app where you can hear it , share it and download it. No roon , boxes , or racks. Point your phone at your speakers and bang. The sound that you immerse in is just that,sound.
I am old school like you. However , downloads now rule. Room or eq correction , every recorded sound under the sun and a promise of the best sound from ever advancing speaker technology all from one multi use tool that does everything.
So the difference is much more than using Alexa . It's a horrible prospect for many. It's happening right now.

D

Deleted member 188516

There's a review of a £15k Audio Research CDP in this month's WHF. Interestingly, towards the end the piece states that the CD drive sounds better than even hi res files from laptop through the player's DAC - a comparison which should give an advantage to the laptop.

I'm sure that some will think that's the magazine hawking product, but realistically that's not where its advertising revenue comes from. Having never heard a player in that league, I can't comment.

+1.

D

Deleted member 188516

Just as the rippers fail to understand the futility of the whole process of ripping thanks to hi res - streaming which will be the number one source for nearly everyone.
Rippers are VHS / cassette fans reinvented for the noughties.
Nuances of sound improvement obtained by buying more stuff to hear it/create it while - right in front of their noses there is finally the option to have more for less.
20 years from now ? Active speakers and a streaming device will be the majority choice. Fact.

active speakers...with dsp yes !

Jimboo

The future ( hopefully) will kill off the sheer toe curling boredom of the anorak system listeners who feed the pseudo science claims of hifi gurus.
I drink whisky , malt whisky. There is the description of how the distiller says it tastes , hint of almonds and caramel on the tongue....... And yet , everyone else tastes it differently who bothers to write a review.

TRENDING THREADS