howardashmore

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Whilst I enjoy how technology changes and generally improves, I am slightly sceptical about 8k. I have a 4K Atmos set up at home and despite access to Netflix, Apple and Prime, there are very few films that are in 4K and Atmos. Even buying UHD Blu-ray provides a limited choice. 4K whilst prevalent in televisions has not been adopted by broadcasters in the same manner as HD.
I do wonder whether with 8k we will face the same limitations.

From a TV/projector point of view, 4K is nigh on 10 years old now. Early 4K TVs may well have been 4K in resolution, but they soon found themselves incompatible with the streaming services later on when they started to stream 4K, as the parameters and tech had developed and changed over the years. While 4K has now settled down, it is still not a widespread standard. 8K really is pointless at the moment. It may not have the teething issues that 4K initially had, mainly due to the fact that HEVC coding used on UHD Bluray can handle 8K, although I’m guessing the streaming services will have to upgrade the coding they use.

Think of 8K this way, whatever size 4K screen you currently have, you could have an 8K one that’s twice the width and twice the height, and with 8K material the picture will look just as good.

I can see the difference between 1080p and 4K on a 55” screen, so I have no doubt that the difference between 4K and 8K could be seen on something like an 85” screen, but really, I would say 8K is more suited to home projection, probably using screens upward of 100”. And for those already watching 4K on a 100” projection screen, you could have a screen twice the width using 8K and have the same quality - now that really would be something.

howardashmore

May 4, 2012
Visit site
It’s not that I think it doesn’t work. I have a 4K projector and screen. I can clearly see the difference. It is the lack of native 4K content that is frustrating. HD was relatively quickly adopted by almost all broadcasters. The adoption of 4K is much slower.
The number of films available in UHD reminds me of the early days of DVD, unlike then there’s little signs of a large increase in content.

D

Deleted member 2457

Gel seems happy with his 8K Samsung TV, not much 8K content about, but there is upscaling of course, So a 4K disc should look good on an 8K screen.
Yes, I am. I paid less than a 4k flagship model to buy it too. I wasn’t particularly bothered by 8K I wanted to upgrade to a flagship QLED at the time and I thought the 8K picture was better than the 4k one.

TRENDING THREADS