atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Hiya guys ,

I will be buying a new BluRay Player very soon . My Denon packed up , it does not play Blu-ray disks any longer , so I need a new member of the AV rack ...

Has anyone got one of the above 2 players ? It will be great to know what you think about them . The main thing for me is the BluRay picture quality . I am not bothered about DVD up-scaling or CD playback , as my Denon still handles those pretty good. The sound will be processed by my AVR , so pure picture quality is what I am interested in.

Also , not bothered at all about all those smart features .

However It would be great to know If somebody is using the Screen Mirroring Feature on the S5200 ?

Does it work with I-phones and I -pads ???

Many thanks for your thoughts on that subject ...

For pure blu ray picture quality, I haven't found any difference between players at different price points. AV forums reviews of every single blu ray player says the same thing. In the Sony , the same components are being used in S5200 as well as S6200.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
For pure blu ray picture quality, I haven't found any difference between players at different price points. AV forums reviews of every single blu ray player says the same thing. In the Sony , the same components are being used in S5200 as well as S6200.

Thanks for reply bb,

I am not looking at the S-6200 , purely because of the size of it. The 1200,4200 and 5200 are in the same small shell , whereas the 6200 is bigger..

This is why I am crossed between the 4200 and 5200. Do you think they share the same components ?

I know that the main difference between both players is Wi-Fi and screen mirroring via Miracast. I am not worried about the Wi-Fi , but if the mirroring works with I-pads , I will buy the 5200.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
It won't make any sense for Sony to use different components for such closely priced players. You've already answered your question about which player you want. :)

Yeah, I know ... but I asked Sonny Customer Support twice about it ( if screen mirroring works with I-devices ) , and they do not want to give an answer. " Please , ask Apple about it " .... I think that is supid . I ask them if their product works with I-phone , and they have suggested to ask Apple about it !?!?!?

On my question about the sound trough my AVR , that`s what I get :

" As for the audio output, all the mentioned 3 players output Dolby surround sound. In order to output the audio from the player through the receiver, you need to connect:

- HDMI from the amplifier to the Bluray player.

- Another HDMI from the Bluray player to the TV , in HDMI1 ( ARC/ Audio Return Channel) if applicable "

And where are talking about a player with only 1 HDMI output at the back !?!?!

Overall extremely poor pre-sales support from Sony , hence my question here in the forum : )

:grin:

There is very confusing information available online with regards to screen mirroring. It appears that that this stage, wireless screen mirroring is only supported by Sony Xperia phones.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43105/~/what-kind-of-devices-can-be-connected-to-use-the-mirroring-function%3F

Personally though, I would use AirPlay instead through Apple TV.

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
:grin:

There is very confusing information available online with regards to screen mirroring. It appears that that this stage, wireless screen mirroring is only supported by Sony Xperia phones. https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43105/~/what-kind-of-devices-can-be-connected-to-use-the-mirroring-function%3F Personally though, I would use AirPlay instead through Apple TV.

Oh , I know...Apple TV would be much better I believe, but it would be another device,another HDMI connection,another remote ( which is pretty cool in fact ) ....and another £100 . With few hobbies ( hi-fi , fishing , photography and now cycling too ) , and a baby on the way , every penny counts BB :)

I need a BluRay device anyway, so I thought for £15 extra ( yes, thats the difference in price between the 2 in Richer Sounds ) , it would save me all of the above if it does I -devices . And yes , you are right indeed , the info online is confusing . In your post it says Sony devices only ... Some web sites give different info :

" Miracast Technology: [/b]Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) through the Blu-ray player and to your TV. "

The source is :

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fc0F7KWvNdJ/p_158BDP5200/Sony-BDP-S5200.html#details-tab

And this guy ( the only customer review on the 5200 in Richer Sounds :

" Couldn't be happier with it so far. Very easy to set up and use. Wifi works perfectly. Tested with all different file types to be played trough USB and they all works!!! Miracast function works flawlessly in pair with my iPad makes youtube app so much fun and easy to use. "

It would be gr8 to know which one is actually true :)

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
There are many comments on Apple forums where it's not worked. Apple tends to use proprietary connections. You can risk the extra £15 for the 5200. Swap it to 4200 if it doesn't work.

That is why I look at Richer Sounds , as they are usually good with swapping units . This is what I`ll do , indeed .

In therms of sound , my AVR does not support 3D ... If I connect the HDMI to the TV directly , and then link the player to the AVR via the Digital Coax. ( no Optical unfortunately ) ...do you think that will be OK for the sound to be processed from the AVR as a Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master ???

It wouldn`t , would it .....It needs to be done via HDMI again in to the AVR ???

Thanks for your help BTW

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
You really need a blu ray player with twin HDMI outs. Looks at Sony S790 or one of the newer Panasonic or Pioneer players with twin HDMI outs.

I know BB, but as I mentioned above, I simply don`t have the room in the AV rack. The 5200 is very ,very compact and it will do . I am not to keen on the 3D anyway , but it would be stupid not to buy a player with a 3D capability as otherwise is step back I think. Soon or later , I will upgrade my nearly 5 year old Denon AVR- 1909 , and the next one will be 3D capable , so I will be fine :)

I don`t know exactly when I will buy the Sony , as I just bought a bike yesterday , and need new lens for my camera too , but as soon as I buy it , will let you know what I think of it , as I see you are really keen on BluRay players :)

nws56

Oct 4, 2008
Visit site
Been living with one of these for a few weeks now whilst Richer

Sounds repair my old S760. And it just doesn't have the magic of

the older player. Fine detail resolution seems diminished; old favourite

Prometheus used to inspire awe with those opening sequences , but now

it leaves me feeling underwhelmed. Sound is surprisingly punchy and

satisfying, but lacks the big , open , and delicate quality that I'm used to.

Machine makes a lot of noise with some discs, less with others . Loading

times are faster than usual.

Botom line ? I haven't gone 'wow' over a single film I've watched since using this thing ......

atanakata

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
nws56 said:
Been living with one of these for a few weeks now whilst Richer

Sounds repair my old S760. And it just doesn't have the magic of

the older player. Fine detail resolution seems diminished; old favourite

Prometheus used to inspire awe with those opening sequences , but now

it leaves me feeling underwhelmed. Sound is surprisingly punchy and

satisfying, but lacks the big , open , and delicate quality that I'm used to.

Machine makes a lot of noise with some discs, less with others . Loading

times are faster than usual.

Botom line ? I haven't gone 'wow' over a single film I've watched since using this thing ......

nws56 , thank you for sharing you thoughts on the subject ... After we had such a lovely summer ( basically been out and about nearly every night ) , and still paying for Sky Movies , I have not had the need of buying the Blu Ray player yet ...I`ll do it in the next few weeks as I have submitted cancellation of my Sky Movies ( bills are just getting higher and higher ) .... I will bear in mind what you said about the 4200 , and when I buy one I`ll speak to Richer Sounds about an option to return and swap with another model if unsatisfactory .... I am pretty sure that it will not beat my damaged Denon in the picture front , but with regards to the sound , I beleive the receiver will do its job as always :))) Will post a review as soon as I buy it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts