7.1 setup with Monitor Audio GX range

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm about to upgrade from my RS set to the GX300 5.1 setup but am unsure over what to use for 7ch.

I have the 5.1 RS set but recently installed everything in my new media room and added a pair of old Denon bookshelves onto my floor-ceiling bookshelves which line the back wall for 6/7ch duties.

My question is - are the GX50's the best bet to replace these? Having read the above comment it would seem so.

The final setup would be:
GX300
GXC350
GXFX
GX50
GXW15

Due to the full-height bookshelves, two sets of GXFX arent practical (I dont think but am open to opinions).

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Ideally, in a 7.1 set up, the GX50's would be situated at the rear, and the GXFX would be at the sides - is this possible?
Yes, thats what I had in mind - replacing the RSFX/bookshelf speakers I have now. Would you have the GXFX in monopole or dipole in this configuration?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You have the choice of monopole or dipole. As they're situated at the side, dipole will diffuse the 'rear' effect, spreading it along the side walls, which emulates the banks of speakers that cinemas use down the side walls more so than a monopole speaker would.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
You have the choice of monopole or dipole. As they're situated at the side, dipole will diffuse the 'rear' effect, spreading it along the side walls, which emulates the banks of speakers that cinemas use down the side walls more so than a monopole speaker would.
I have my RSFX set to bipole, on the side walls and it works well. The GX confused me as the options are dipole/monopole.

Thanks for the advice

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Bipole will spread the sound, but dipole will 'diffuse' the sound as well, making it harder to hear where the speaker is. Dipole at the side is usually the choice of home cinema enthusiasts unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Bipole will spread the sound, but dipole will 'diffuse' the sound as well, making it harder to hear where the speaker is. Dipole at the side is usually the choice of home cinema enthusiasts unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

Thanks - you think this will work well (GXFX in dipole mode) with the GX50's at the rear?

A

Anonymous

Monitor Audio's technical services dept suggested that if I use GSFX on the sides in Dipole mode they will be out of phase with the GX50's and recommended I go for the RXFX instead…

So now I'm totally confused hence all the questions. If they're going to be out of phase with the rear surrounds wouldnt they be out of phase with the fronts too? Doesnt make sense & seems bizarre that MA would produce such incompatible high-end speakers.

Have you had these set up like this by any chance?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Chances are your amp will correct the phasing issue if their is one - assuming you are running a modern high end receiver

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts