7.1 or stay bi-amped with 5.1

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok so im faced with a dilemma.

Is it worth going 7.1 and sacrificing the bi-amping on front pair of CM8's and bi-wire on the center? I know i can keep the bi-amp etc if i get a stereo amp, but this is adding to the cost and is it really worth it?

What do you guys think? Thanks in advanced.

Paul.

I asked myself this same question a while back. In the end I decided my room was too small, and I would have been too close to the rears. How big is your room?

I received a pretty unanimous 'don't bother' from the forum.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Paul thanks for hte reponse.

Im pretty much expecting that too. It's just the Lord of the Rings and the upcoming Star Wars set being 6.1 really tempts me.

My room is 14x12 and I am against the back wall. Distance between me and the screen is 3 meters.

Similar to yours?

A

Anonymous

I think taking the bi-amp off the CM8's will leave you dissapointed. OK you will get a swoosh now and again from the sides from the extra speakers but you will miss the control from the front. If you listen to music through the system in stereo mode this will be most apparent.

I would try setting up your system in a standard 5.1 configuration (without the front bi-amp) and take a listen to give you an idea of what you mite loose!

A

Anonymous

duaplex said:
My room is 14x12 and I am against the back wall.
Don't bother. Surround back speakers should be at least 3ft behind you, or so I've been told.

Paul.

My plan was to pick up a cheap BR centre off of ebay and set up 6.1, no point buying double the speakers, stands and cable I thought considering the content available and size of my room. I also was too close to the back wall (about 1 foot) so I did not bother.

My room is pretty much the same setup, its wider by some margin, but all the AV stuff is down one end, and a dining table at the other. Im about 3 meters from the TV too.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I too wouldn't bother if you're butt up against the rear wall. I only went 7.1 because I've got a good couple of metres behind my setee to the back wall. That, and the fact the M1s can't be bi-amped, so I'd be letting 2 channels of power go to waste.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts