7.1 or 5.1?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
is it worth investing in a surround sound system with 7.1 as opposed to 5.1? I will use mine for playing ps3, x360 and Wii. I'm wondering if there are any games out there that supports anything above dolby digital 5.1? What about movies?

A

Anonymous

you can used 7.1 amps to do both not sure about the games decodeing more than 5.1

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
You'd be hard pushed to find an AV receiver (even a budget one) that's worth its salt that doesn't offer 7.1 channels of amplification. I wouldn't worry about this. 7.1 channel receivers will work perfectly fine with a 5.1 speaker system as well (the auto set-up will detect how many speakers you are using). Even if you are only using a source that is 5.1, the receiver should be able to simulate a 7.1 soundtrack.

In short, concentrate more on other functionality that might be more relevant to your needs (how many HDMI inputs do you need?; do you need video up-conversion?). Check out reviews of receivers in your price-bracket, set up some auditions, and focus principally on which produces a sound you like the best!

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I'd also say it depends upon the size of your room. Whilst only a handful of DVDs are encoded with 'proper' DTS 6.1 and even fewer blu-rays are encoded in 7.1 (at the moment) a 7.1 amp can still simulate the surround back channels from 5.1 material whether you'e watching movies or playing games and if you have a big room that might improve the experience by filling in the space directly behind you. However I wouldn't do it based on the availability of material with 7.1 a soundtrack alone.

I've got a pretty small room and I went and bought and extra 2 speakers to make the 7.1 set-up and went to all the trouble of wiring them in etc when I got a blu-ray player and whilst it does give a slightly better spread of sound across the back, I am not sure it was worth the expense/effort in my room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts