6ohms speakers monitor audio RX6

matt78

May 27, 2012
Visit site
P1000800.JPG
can i bi wire 6ohms speakers with my amp please im a little confused by this.

matt78

May 27, 2012
Visit site
i tried to put a photo of my amp on but it hasnt worked. basically on the back of my amp it says speaker A or B 4-16 ohms each speaker, and A and B 8-16 ohms each speaker. now im looking at buying Monitor Audior RX6's these are 6 ohms. i want to bi wire them, but by doing this im using A and B. obviously A been tweeters on the left and right and B been bottom end on left and right. does this mean i cant bi wire RX6's with my amp?? please help????

A

Anonymous

You can biwire with your amp and those speakers but there isn't really any point, you won't gain anything.

matt78 said:
i tried to put a photo of my amp on but it hasnt worked. basically on the back of my amp it says speaker A or B 4-16 ohms each speaker, and A and B 8-16 ohms each speaker. now im looking at buying Monitor Audior RX6's these are 6 ohms. i want to bi wire them, but by doing this im using A and B. obviously A been tweeters on the left and right and B been bottom end on left and right. does this mean i cant bi wire RX6's with my amp?? please help????

What's the make and model of your amp?

Basically if it has two sets of speaker connections like this http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,fmj,integrated-amplifiers,a18.htm then you can.

A

Anonymous

Well, theoretically your amp isn't spec'd to biwire speakers that are under 8 ohms but the reason is that it has a limited current supply. That suggests the amp isn't really designed to run two sets of speakers (or bi-wire) very well so that's another reason not to bother.

matt78

May 27, 2012
Visit site
right, ok. its bi wired my B&W 602 s2's with no probs for 10 years. ive used it for numerious house party's where its been played at 3/4 volume for at least 7 to 10 hours with out getting hot or cutting out. if my amp wasnt designed to run 2 sets of speakers why does it have left and right channels speaker A and B? thats 8 bannana plugs.

A

Anonymous

It is designed to run 2 sets of speakers but just... not that well...

Think of it as it splits it's power between 2 speakers, handy if you have 2 sets of speakers to power but not so good if you are going to power 2 speaker as it makes no difference.

That said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it ran fine biwiring the RX6's :)

A

Anonymous

You can't put 8 ohms into a 6ohm speaker, impedence is a property of the speaker and no switch you can flip can change that. On the other hand, asking an amp to drive speakers with too low an impedence can kill the amp, this is unlikely though as most have some kind of limiter in them (at the least a fuse!)

Either the amp can drive a 6ohm load using both it's speaker outputs or it can't, the spec's say it can't but you never know - you'll soon find out.

However, why not just single wire the speakers, it won't make any difference and you can be sure your amp will be happy.

matt78

May 27, 2012
Visit site
so i wont harm anything putting 8 ohms into a 6 ohms speaker then? this is my amp. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-SU-A808-EX-DISPLAY-HI-FI-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-/140800191591?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_A

matt78

May 27, 2012
Visit site
right got ya, i think i will use single wires from channel A and use jumpers. ive just moved house and need longer runs of cable anyhow. i need one run of 6 mtrs (well unfortunately 2 runs, a waste of money 1 side as only need 2 mtre but hey ho) im thinking or try chord company silver carnival.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
matt78 said:
right got ya, i think i will use single wires from channel A and use jumpers. ive just moved house and need longer runs of cable anyhow. i need one run of 6 mtrs (well unfortunately 2 runs, a waste of money 1 side as only need 2 mtre but hey ho) im thinking or try chord company silver carnival.

speaker cable doesnt have to be equal lengths, one 6m and one 2m will be fine, save some money.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've moved from speaker cable costing £12.50/m to about £1.50/m and prefer the cheaper cable.

I also had some speaker cable that cost about £175.00 for 2×2.5m lengths, that was discounted! Should have cost a lot more. Still prefer my cheaper cable.

If you need 2×6m lengths try some 2.5mm pure copper. Cheap but effective.

On the other hand, you may prefer the more expensive cable for your system.

Try both. No harm in trying. £20.00 vs £200.00. If YOU can tell the difference then worth the extra.

If you can’t, then £180.00 towards more music!

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
matt78 said:
ive always been led to believe that speaker cable shouls always be identical lengths, cheers

over long runs maybe, short runs no. one cable 100m the other 2m could cause some small issues , but over such short distances it makes no difference to the sound and has no potential to damage anything.

however, i do always have equal lengths, but only for the reason that i may move my system around in the room and may require the extra lengh at some point :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts