5 star ratings or death by stereo........

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Quality will always shine through. I bought the Creek Evo amp from Superfi before Christmas for £350 (the silver one was £299!). It received four stars from WHF but it's absolutely superb and listed as £495 in the mag. After Christmas Superfi increased it's price to £425 and now it's back to £495. If the four stars affected it's ability to sell (especially in the current climate), surely they would not have brought the price back up?

John Duncan

Maybe ratings need to be split up into quality and value. The Creek mentioned above - "fantastic sound, bit dear - listen to it, see if it's worth the money to you". All the mags in the other consumer areas I know anything about do that......

And another thing, isn't it a b-gger when your five star product becomes a four star one (640c v2)?
emotion-1.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Every single issue - in both our Best Buys spread, and test openers - we take this kind of approach to four-star products:

"Four star products may not have the all-round ability of the best, but they're still superior products and could be better for your system".

You'll also noticed highly positive comments for four-star rated kit in the Buyer's Guide - for example that Creek, which reads: "Smart with precise, detailed delivery with teamed with the EVO amplifier". There you have it - review and system-matching advice in one line....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare has explained before the reason for not doing that. I have to agree that if WHF reviewed products an awarded budget components 1 or 2 stars, there would be a slump in would be Hifi enthusiasts. Many would look and see that they couldn't afford any more than a 3 star product and think, I will not bother then.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]

And another thing, isn't it a b-gger when your five star product becomes a four star one (640c v2)?
emotion-1.gif
[/quote]

Yep, but all our reviews are done on a performance-per-pound basis - if there's something better for the money, we'll tell you.

The fact that Cambridge Audio already has V3 kit in the pipeline means they know they can do better compared to the competition, too
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]

emotion-1.gif
[/quote]

Yep, but all our reviews are done on a performance-per-pound basis - if there's something better for the money, we'll tell you.

The fact that Cambridge Audio already has V3 kit in the pipeline means they know they can do better compared to the competition, too
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

And if they go down the 740c/840c route and add a digital in, we can stop all the "best DAC for my squeezebox?" threads! Maybe you could stick a word in............

A

Anonymous

Hiya Clare,how are you?Why not tell us about your system,most of us do?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bot bot"]Hiya Clare,how are you?Why not tell us about your system,most of us do?[/quote]

It's all been available on this thread for some time - though i've since upgraded the turntable to a Roksan Radiius 5...

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
hi guys i knew when i started this post it would bring up all sorts of opinions. i must first start off by saying...this post was not a dig at what hi-fi i for one value their opinions and love the mag...I also would not but a piece of kit without a test first i merely use the rating as a guide....But i do believe a bad review can an does affect sales of o product so manufacturers must worry about what ratings they might recieve before they go out and order that new car...lol

A

Anonymous

It's quite amazing how many people buy purely on reviews so in that case your quite right in that it can make or break a product which is quite sad really as there is a wealth of products out there that don't get massive exposure or reviews that really should get a listen to.

If I was a manufacture and I was sending my product in for a review I would want a honest opinion, why? because I would like to know in which area my product could be improved, nothing is perfect in all areas so it is good to get others opinions on which aspects of the product could be improved, sometimes it's not only the sound but the small details that are important.

If I sent a product in for a review and it came back within a week, I would send it back again and ask for it to be reviewed properly, you can't judge a product in less that 1 month minimum, I know they don't have the time for 1 month, but you need to live with a product to see if you can live with it long term, what aspects of the product bothers you, sometimes you hear a product and think, yep that's quite good, but later certain aspects of the product bother you, you can't find these things out with a brief listen.

What about reliability, company back up? is it good? all things should be considered when a review is done.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Good topic, it's no secret that WHF mag is powerful enough to made or break hifi company. if the reviewed products has only 3 stars or even 4 (which is good btw) dealers find it harder to push the particular equipment! Just look at the 2nd hand market, every thing that rated 5 stars or super trest winner does hold value a lot better than 3 or 4 stars products.

I, for one, only use the reviews as a guideline as what is out there at the present time to demo.....some like black coffee with no sugar I like my milky with 2 spoons full!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Welcome back, Thai!

[quote user="Thaiman"]if the reviewed products has only 3 stars or even 4 (which is good btw) dealers find it harder to push the particular equipment![/quote]

If they're good retailers, and believe in the product, they should find that no problem at all.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Welcome back, Thai!
[/quote]

Thanks mr E. By the way (off topic, sorry) Japan took over Thailand! O'ashi restaurant everywhere, I had more raw fish than a cooked one :-(

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
What I find incredible are the occasions when a product has something wrong with it ie the remote doesn't work, it's brand new and hasn't been run in, the case is a slight misfit, the wood panels are miscoloured or scratched, it's had milkshake spilled through the vents etc etc

You would think on something as make or break as a review in the best selling mag, then they would pick the very best example, run it in beautifully, and deliver it wrapped in goldleafed bubblewrap, and driven down personally rather than trusting a courier.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
If manufacturers were truely concerned with the ratings and the ratings were truely influential in what people bought at the shop, you would expect to see the slow and steady evolution of kit to produce the kind of sound (or vision) rewarded by the mag. Is this the case? I'd guess not. The vast majority of people are unaware of the mags existence and just pop down to Currys to buy their TV based on their own eyes (true, uninfluenced purists?)......though I have started to notice that even Currys have started mentioning star ratings on products now.

I wonder......have the staff ever been engaged to act as consultants for a manufacturer? Would this consistitute a conflict of interest if they had?

I will happily admit to being influenced by the ratings, particularly the Product of the Year awards and the recommended products page for budget, mid and high . It's sad but true. I haven't necessarily got the time to audition kit.

A

Anonymous

Blimey, I go away for a few years and come back to find the same old, same old being worked over again.

Let's have a reality check here:

1) If you are a manufacturer and your business relies on a review star rating, then you aren't running your business properly. (and btw, there may be some short term demand increase for your product, but nothing spectacular)

2) If you are a retailer and base your stocking policy on short term review ratings rather than long term business objectives with brands who will be around to support your business in years to come, then you aren't running your business properly.

3) If you are advertising because you want to reach an audience that matches your target, then you are doing the right thing. If you believe it will 'buy' you stars, then you're barking up the wrong tree buddy.

4) If you are buying equipment only on a review rating, then you're going to be kissing a lot of expensive frogs until you find your prince. So go see a good retailer.

5) If you are using a review rating to abdicate responsibility of choice of purchase rather than your own opinion, then see 4).

How do I know this? Well a bloke down the pub/ geezer working in a shop/ poster on a forum...told me (delete as applicable)

Some things never change.

Gary

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts