5 star ratings or death by stereo........

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="PJPro"]Ihave the staff ever been engaged to act as consultants for a manufacturer? Would this consistitute a conflict of interest if they had? [/quote]

We've been asked many a time, and always declined - because we're in the business of testing products for consumers, not manufacturers. Other reviewers on other titles may have a different opinion on this matter...
emotion-14.gif

What we are happy to do is to explain to a manufacturer in detail what we did and didn't like about a product, in case there's any doubt as to why we came to that star-rating conclusion. As to making the product better next time around, we leave that up to them.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Like I mentioned earlier, in the 'premium' hifi world a bad review can make or break the product. Whereas people buying tellies read Which and shop in Comet, people buying decent hifi will read this mag and others (ie separates).

A bad review will make it all the harder for that product to make shortlists (esp Internet sales), only a company that has been consistently good can carry off a product with bad reviews successfully IMO.

What I like most is that different sounds can all 'work', a Naim has a completely different sound to an Arcam but they both have a following, a house sound if you like and on the whole the reviews are fair, and equipment suits different tastes. The world would be a poorer place if we all bought Beko tellies from Tesco and ate chicken at 2 for a fiver. I want better and hence why I read the mag and take an interest in other (experienced) people's opinions. I'd also like to think that I have a reasonable level of knowledge about equipment, and I know what I want from kit and that comes from listening, reading, talking etc etc - I don't like the Cambridge sound, I look for something more musical and relaxing than B&W, everyone has a preference.

A

Anonymous

On a slight tangent. I have had experience of supposed "expert" dealers "spinning me a line"

One of the dealers in the "best in the world" section of WHSAV was not a very pleasant trip for me recently. I like the look of and the reviews for Monitor Audio speakers. I visited this dealer, whom I shall not name. I asked the sales person for advice, told him my budget and mentioned MA. He "informed" me that I shouldnt bother with them, they were not great. I explained that I read WHSAV and they were regular receivers of awards. I was then informed that he did not put much stock in their awards since they started getting students to review their products and that if i put stock in them myself, I would be better off visiting Richer Sounds!

Needless to say I was not impressed and shopped with my feet (ie left) but this is indicitive of my experiences with "high end" dealers. People with more modest budgets like myself get short shrift (I was basically told investing less than 5 grand in my AV speakers wasnt really worthwhile!!!!!)

What else can we do, other than go for 4/5 star product and hope for the best. (Especially when the same dealer was supposedly one of the best).

That was why I emailed in for a reader rescue, cos i've got a couple of grand to upgrade my (monstrous) cinema room, and have no clue as to what to get......... help..........

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Some dealers really don't get it, they live in the dark ages and should realise that in this competitive marketplace they need to offer service, not least that a happy customer in this market will come back again in all probability. Tw&ts.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Get the Dali Ikon system from Audiologica, they will do you a deal and probably be able to source an ex dem setup for a grand less, in perfect nick.

A

Anonymous

Sounds good, but i wasnt specific lol, that couple of grant needs to buy me a 5.1 system and an amp!

I could tell you where i WONT be getting it!!!

Wheres Audiologica btw? I'm in Belfast.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="eddmac"]
since they started getting students to review their products

[/quote]

And those policemen, they get younger every day!
emotion-1.gif

Doing some rough maths, i'd put the average age of our reviewing team at almost exactly the same as average age of our readers - 34.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Other reviewers on other titles may have a different opinion on this matter...
emotion-14.gif
[/quote]

I find it odd when the same reviewer is testing exclusively for certain manufacturers ... KK ... (Musical Fidelity/Sonus Faber/Audio Research/Nagra amongst others). You kinda know what the outcome is even if the result is justified.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Doing some rough maths, i'd put the average age of our reviewing team at almost exactly the same as average age of our readers - 34. [/quote]

You dont look a day over 21 ...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]

You dont look a day over 21 ...[/quote]

I believe many reputable opticians are open on Saturdays - still time to book an appointment!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site

[/quote]

That is because the Avatar picture was took about 10 years ago...:) (back handed compliment!...btw)

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
It Has to be said clair must be the best looking hi-fi expert i have ever seen come to that regardless she is hot..............lol
keep up the good work

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Doing some rough maths, i'd put the average age of our reviewing team at almost exactly the same as average age of our readers - 34. [/quote]
[/quote]
Ah, but you see old gits like me and Cloughie kinda skew the average a bit.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"][quote user="eddmac"]

since they started getting students to review their products

[/quote]

And those policemen, they get younger every day!
emotion-1.gif

Doing some rough maths, i'd put the average age of our reviewing team at almost exactly the same as average age of our readers - 34.

[/quote]

Hence the reason I laughed at him and walked! But seriously, it is very difficult to get impartial opinions from anywhere here (Belfast) and I must rely on the judgement of your reviewing panel. Therefore 4/5 stars are a must for me. The dearth of good dealers with listening rooms here (that i can find anyway) is terrible and I am in a quandry as to what to do with my hard earned
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

eddmac,

It's best to visit as many dealers as possible and hear different set ups to get a better idea of what kind of sound your looking for. Now many people like Monitor Audio, personally like that salesman it's not the sound for me, I just don't like it, but that's me. Yesterday I heard a top line Cyrus system, again it is highly rated, 5 star product, I didn't like it at all, I didn't image, it was speaker bound, flat, unrefined, this was through a pair of Totem Forests which are classy speakers, but the sound left me totally unmoved, I just didn't feel in no way connected to the music,I heard sound, but I wasn't there, I wasn't involved, can you see the danger on just going on 5 star products?
Get to some good dealers that have products that are less well know, they have been around for along time, and don't change the model every year, have a listen, see what you think, you have a good sized budget and I believe you can buy something pretty decent for that money.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
silly said:
eddmac, It's best to visit as many dealers as possible and hear different set ups to get a better idea of what kind of sound your looking for. Now many people like Monitor Audio, personally like that salesman it's not the sound for me, I just don't like it, but that's me. Yesterday I heard a top line Cyrus system, again it is highly rated, 5 star product, I didn't like it at all, I didn't image, it was speaker bound, flat, unrefined, this was through a pair of Totem Forests which are classy speakers, but the sound left me totally unmoved, I just didn't feel in no way connected to the music,I heard sound, but I wasn't there, I wasn't involved, can you see the danger on just going on 5 star products?

Get to some good dealers that have products that are less well know, they have been around for along time, and don't change the model every year, have a listen, see what you think, you have a good sized budget and I believe you can buy something pretty decent for that money.

So the star rating is very subjective .

skipper

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Good thing I did my own audition when choosing between the Yamaha a1020 and Onkyo 818 and didn't blindly follow the WHF group test verdict...To my ears and in my system the Onkyo won hands down.The Yamaha was just too polite and laid back for my tastes requiring too much sound and DSP tweaking to get the balance right.The Onkyo has a punchy exciting sound and for me Audyssey worked wonders in my system,requiring NO further tweaking to get it sounding 'right'.I don't see how the Onkyos punchy balance can be a bad thing for movies.Didnt quite experience what the WHF reviewers saw in the Yamaha but Im sure there are many out there happy with it though.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
That's like my Denon AVR, though admittedly I bought it without even seeing a review and I find it outshines my old Onkyo '905 in almost every way. After owning it a few months, I saw the review pop up here offering 4 stars.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts