5.1 vs 6.1 Setup...?!?

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Living Hall Size in feet.

Length = 20'
Width = 13'
Height = 9'

I'm Planning a new Home Theater setup for the above mentioned living hall size. I have a Yamaha RX V450 which is a 6.1 AV Receiver. Now i'm wondering whether to go for a 5.1 vs. 6.1 Setup.

Now i read and understand that a very few movies have Discrete 6.1 Soundtrack. My AVR's manual says that it can derive a 6th channel out of a 5.1 Channel Soundtrack. I understand that it would then become a 6.1 Matrix.

So i had a few questions...

1. How is the effect of a 6.1 matrixed soundtrack derived out of a 5.1 Soundtrack ?
2. In the above mentioned Living Hall size will a 5.1 be enough or will i benefit with a more enveloping sound from a 6.1 Setup ?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

all I can say is that since i`ve gone from 5.1 to 7.1 I wouldn`t want to go back, more 7.1 movies have been released and i`m sure that will only increase with time. If I were you and had to opportunity i`d go for it.

Al
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

7.1 here too and I agree it's a more complete soundfield more gelled and I wouldn't go back either as you have the room I would say go for it. I seem to get better 7.1 sound from 5.1 discs that my amp has ghosted the extra 2 channels for but I do have some 7.1 discs. Hellboy 2 is a good example in the subway with the water dripping its so spooky and more realistic with the 7 speakers

Simon Pinkney

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
I have 7.1 set up and wouldn't want to go back. I love how the sound fills the room even when a film which isn't broadcast in full 7.1 sound. My amp still uses the back speakers a little and it's great to listen too. I would definitely upgrade to 6.1.

A

Anonymous

5.1 is enough and you will get better "deals" on 5.1 set ups vs trying to source the extra speaker for 6.1.

Whether you prefer 6.1 is unfortunately only a question you can answer. If possible go to a shop and demo with your equipment.

Most Blu Rays/DVDs are still 5.1

A

Anonymous

one thing to note - I've found as others - that 7.1 - no matter your room size seems to work better than 6.1 ...

with 6.1 the centre speaker is opposite the rear centre and sometimes that can give some odd effects - like the rear centre sounds like its coming from the front etc

7.1 doesn't seem to suffer anywhere near as much

A

Anonymous

Buckshar:

one thing to note - I've found as others - that 7.1 - no matter your room size seems to work better than 6.1 ...

with 6.1 the centre speaker is opposite the rear centre and sometimes that can give some odd effects - like the rear centre sounds like its coming from the front etc

7.1 doesn't seem to suffer anywhere near as much

good call and I agree, having the front centre and rear centre facing each other can`t be a good thing at all

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts