5.1 and Hi-fi - can it be done?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Help

I currently enjoy blu rays through my hi-fi system, which I like, however I feel like I am missing out on all the 5.1 action.

What I want is 5.1 for films and xbox, but I do not want to compromise my hi-fi.

What is the best way, ideally not two seperate systems, as space and money would not allow that.

Is somehow using my hi-fi amp to run the front speakers, and the av amp for the rest an option?

Or would I be best to sell the 8000s and simply buy a good av amp?

I am working to tight budget here, i.e. £300 for an amp, add some Mission bipoles (already have centre), and add a sub later (second hand fine).

I assume I need audio over HDMI?

Anyone who can offer their opinion?

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
If your hi-fi amp has a line-in then you can leave the front speakers on that, get an AV amp to run centre and surrounds and take the pre-out for the fronts from the AV amp and put them into the hi-fi amp.

It's quite a common configuration.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I used to do this, firstly with a Yamaha DSP-E800 and then an AV Receiver. It works a treat. Finding an AV Receiver with front pre-outs at £300 might be a challenge but the Yamaha RX-V765 is now around that price if you can save up a few more beer tokens.

A

Anonymous

If you are going to buy an av amp, make sure it has front pre out as most budget avr nowadays do not carry them.

A

Anonymous

Yamaha Rx-v765 I believe has pre outs.

You should be able to pick one up round about budget. If I was you though I would keep the 8000's

A

Anonymous

Ooooops,

Always read the whole thread eh? Nice one d4v3pum4

A

Anonymous

A few people on another forum have mentioned speaker switches, but I feel it could damage the sound, all that money on cables.

I could always just swap the amps over to watch a film, not ideal, but usually I wil settle down fo the night with a blu ray, this also opens up a lot more amps.

How do the STGR 810/910 or the Onkyo 607 sound?

A

Anonymous

Being relatively new to this, does this sound (no pun intended) ok?

Get an RXV765, and run the 8000S as a power amp, thus driving the front L+R chanels, the 765 would drive all the other chanels and deal with all the volume control. Will this be ok as there will be different amp driving different speakers, most notable the centre. If that works, thats blu ray and xbox sorted.

Music - with the above setup, will I be able to completely ignore the 765, and just rely on the Audiolab combo for serious listening?

Thanks

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
white91:Music - with the above setup, will I be able to completely ignore the 765, and just rely on the Audiolab combo for serious listening?

Yes, you just leave all your music sources plugged into the stereo amp, that way you don't need to turn the AV amp on to listen to music.

A

Anonymous

I think I will look for a second hand Yamaha DSP AX763, as this seems to do all what I need, just need to find one at the right price.

TRENDING THREADS