4K Upgrade advice needed - Sony or Denon?

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

It's my first post in a while and need some advice. I'm reluctantly thinking about upgrading my AV receiver (a circa 7 year old Denon 2309) to something which supports 4K. Reluctant because it still sounds good paired with my old KEF 3005SE and B&W PV1. Anyway I've managing with one 4K source for the past year (Sky Q) but with an Xbox One X pre-ordered and an apple TV 4K soon to be I think I need to upgrade.

I've been away from the forums for a while and not really up to speed with what the best to get this year around the £500-£600. The denon 2400 seems to get positive reviews as does the the Sony 1080 but has anyone got any of these amps or has any advice? I want to make sure they fit with my current speakers and sub which I want to avoid upgrading for now.

Also, are there any recommendations on some ceiling firing atmos speakers to go with this?

Many thanks,

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget Marantz. Same stable as Denon, but assembled by robots in Vietnam instead of Japan. Only the knobs, remote, AVR display and facia are likely to be different.

I'd look at the 6012 which can decode 11 channels and amplify o internally. If you want all 11 you need a separate power amp as well. The newer 6012 adds HEOS wireless speaker connectivity but not much more.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi bigboss,

I mean speakers that bounce sound off the ceiling. I currently have 5 speakers plus the sub. Atmos is something i'm considering but unsure if its worth it as I have a small living room (4mx3m). Curious to know what the phantom surround mode is like on the Sony.

Thanks.

Hems

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
It was my first thought to go with the Denon but the review of the Sony is making me think twice even though both are rated 5 stars. I do listent to a lot of music in addition to watching movies and xbox one.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Atmos speakers that bounce sound off the ceiling, especially add-on ones that sit on top existing speakers, can be very hit or miss.
Consider fitting front heights or speakers with angled front baffles that can be hung high up where walls meet ceiling like the Klipsch RP140SA units.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Not to put you off the Sony. But I would suggest to try it with option of returning it back if you don't like it in your room.

My gripe is not with the sony's sound quality. I have one of their older models , the str-dn850 at home. And it sounds clear and punchy with music. But its room correction for home theatre was a lot of hit and miss. So I changed for the marantz, which nails the room correction part and sounds absolutely wonderful in my room.

Sony could have improved on their room correction software. And I do want you to give it a chance to prove itself, instead of going solely based on my experience.

Audition the Sony and the denon in your room and choose for yourself. Both have different sound signatures, the denon being warm, and the Sony being Pacey and punchy. If it's just 2 channel music, the Sony will win. That is why I urge you to give it a spin. All the best...

My experience with Sony is similar. I would prefer Denon or Marantz over the Sony any day.

I would suggest you first get 5.1 system right and then look at Atmos speakers. Elac Debut A4 speakers are very good. Another option is SVS Prime Elevation. As mentioned, speakers that bounce sound off the ceiling can be hit and miss. You should demo in your house before purchase.

I would've advised David @ Little Audio Company but I don't think he stocks those brands yet. Check out Sevenoaks and Richer Sounds and ask them. If you assure them that it's one of the 2 you would want, I'm sure they'll oblige happily.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Sony a chance hems. You might end up liking it more than the denon.

Please go with a open mind. My str-dn850 is a 2013 model. And Sony must have improved their room correction in all these years. So iam fondly hoping you like it :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts