4k ultra hd v oled.which will win

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
theflyingwasp said:
If to get the best out of 4k the screen has to be 70-80 inch I doubt most people's partners will allow a tv of that size in the home ,those size of screens will NEVER become the norm .

Never say never. People in the past have said that 40-inch TV will NEVER become the norm, or 50-inch TV will NEVER become the norm. :)

if a 55 inch 4k led is £5000 ish I am going to have a heck of a long wait till a 80 inch 4k oled is at the 3-4 grand mark .

You never know, once they crack the technology (which could be in 1-2 years) & not produce as much wastage, OLED screens will fall rapidly in price. I can buy a larger TV for the price I paid for my Kuro 5 years ago. With Chinese manufacturers going global, this could happen earlier. We've already seen 60-inch 4K screens for £600 at the CES.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Certainly didn't do Pioneer any favours...

Exactly – FWIS it looks like Panasonic is slowly going down the Pioneer route, while at the same time dropping market-share with its more mass-market models in the face of increased competition, and now having to buy in almost all the technology it uses in its range. I'd go so far as to suggest it may only be a matter of time!

It's beginning to look more and more like the Japanese manufacturers are a spent force in the TV market, and that all the action will come from Korea and – increasingly – China.

Shouldn't come as much of a surprise – I think this site has been predicting that was going to happen for some time now.

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
gel said:
spiny norman said:
gel said:
I can't see it happening.

Yeah, they said that about pulling out of plasma. But the idea that whatever Panasonic backs will succeed is just nonsense: it used to have about 6% global TV market share, and I'm sure that number is now even smaller. Panasonic's now well on the wrong side of 5%, behind Sony, TCL, Toshiba and Hisense.

So when it comes to Panasonic's TV market influence, that ship sailed a long tome ago.

What Samsung (19%), or LG (14%), or the Chinese manufacturers (big six brands together accounting for over 20% of the market) decide to back – now we're talking!

And right now LG is looking increasingly like a lone OLED voice in a wilderness strewn with LED-lit LCD screens.

Interesting stats, Norman. I still reckon Panasonic will be the favourite amongst AV buffs though, if not TV owners in general.

i certainly wont be buying their kit again!

If you buy from John Lewis I don't think buying Panasonic is much hassle. To start with you have 28 days to decide if you like it or not - doesn't come much fairer than that! Anyone should be able to tell in this time whether the TV is faulty or not. If it is just send it back, if it developes a fault after this it John Lewis will repair it.

I still think buying Panasonic is the number one choice.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
rocketrazor said:
gel said:
spiny norman said:
gel said:
I can't see it happening.

Yeah, they said that about pulling out of plasma. But the idea that whatever Panasonic backs will succeed is just nonsense: it used to have about 6% global TV market share, and I'm sure that number is now even smaller. Panasonic's now well on the wrong side of 5%, behind Sony, TCL, Toshiba and Hisense.

So when it comes to Panasonic's TV market influence, that ship sailed a long tome ago.

What Samsung (19%), or LG (14%), or the Chinese manufacturers (big six brands together accounting for over 20% of the market) decide to back – now we're talking!

And right now LG is looking increasingly like a lone OLED voice in a wilderness strewn with LED-lit LCD screens.

Interesting stats, Norman. I still reckon Panasonic will be the favourite amongst AV buffs though, if not TV owners in general.

i certainly wont be buying their kit again!

If you buy from John Lewis I don't think buying Panasonic is much hassle. To start with you have 28 days to decide if you like it or not - doesn't come much fairer than that! Anyone should be able to tell in this time whether the TV is faulty or not. If it is just send it back, if it developes a fault after this it John Lewis will repair it.

I still think buying Panasonic is the number one choice.

i take your point gel about John Lewis, and I'll use them for any future tv purchases but I wouldn't even buy a panasonic from them. Look at strapped, he purchased from John Lewis and fair play to them they have sorted him out, but his on tv number 4! The idea is that John Lewis are there for piece of mind, but with panasonic it's almost a case of your going to need John Lewis, in which case personally I'd rather buy a sony or Samsung, have the John Lewis guarantee and never use it. Unfortunately to much damage has been done now to repair it.

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
There's MrW and Bbb as well let's not forget

Quite true. I do think some of these situations could have been avoided though.

D

Deleted member 2457

You do live and learn though and my past history with TVs is pretty abysmal too! :)

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Personally, I will never buy a Panasonic TV. If so many faults are "within spec" for them, their quality control is poor.

Never say never! :grin:

D

Deleted member 2457

cardboard dave said:
To be fair most of the problems have been with plasma screens,so the point is a bit moot now

Good point. No more buzzing, no more fan noise, no more image retention and no more various other issues.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
The_Lhc said:
Certainly didn't do Pioneer any favours...

Exactly – FWIS it looks like Panasonic is slowly going down the Pioneer route, while at the same time dropping market-share with its more mass-market models in the face of increased competition, and now having to buy in almost all the technology it uses in its range. I'd go so far as to suggest it may only be a matter of time!

It's beginning to look more and more like the Japanese manufacturers are a spent force in the TV market, and that all the action will come from Korea and – increasingly – China.

Shouldn't come as much of a surprise – I think this site has been predicting that was going to happen for some time now.

Terrible journalism, they probably just retweeted it.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Personally, I will never buy a Panasonic TV. If so many faults are "within spec" for them, their quality control is poor.

Has anyone ever challenged Panasonic what the specifications actually are when they quote "within spec". Because to my mind there should be a written set of specs and the set either falls within or not.

Or perhaps the goalposts keep getting moved.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Same here at times. :)

Probably my cousin Harry, we're always getting mistaken for each other.

This is him in a couple of old pictures at a party. Well, it was the 70's!

ee76a82927b4daf45c04f300dc72a9aa.jpg

T

theflyingwasp

Will it really matter what make of tv you buy when its 4k even the bad ones should look damn good.

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:
Same here at times. :)

Probably my cousin Harry, we're always getting mistaken for each other.

This is him in a couple of old pictures at a party. Well, it was the 70's!

ee76a82927b4daf45c04f300dc72a9aa.jpg

:grin:

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
theflyingwasp said:
Will it really matter what make of tv you buy when its 4k even the bad ones should look damn good.

Assuming this were true (which I doubt it will be), but if the better ones look better, why would you buy the bad ones?

A nonsenceible post really.

T

theflyingwasp

Yes eh........It doesn't make sense.maybe properly reading something before posting an opinion would be wise :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts