4K /Reciever / Do I HAVE to Upgrade?

phrying

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
So, heres the deal. I have my setup running an HDMI via ARC to the reciever. I'm waiting on the SAMSUNG UBD-K8500 4K Bluray player and I was wondering if its compatable.

I've heard conflicting things but theres no real answer that I've found.

Will my reciever run into problems transmitting the sound or the 4K not transmitting as it cant send a 4K sound signal to the reciever?

I'm not really sure what else to say... Please someone answer? :)

Thanks

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
phrying said:
I'm waiting on the SAMSUNG UBD-K8500 4K Bluray player and I was wondering if its compatable.

Not a problem: the Samsung has two HDMI outputs: a 'MAIN' one for video/audio (also compatible with the company's Anynet+ automation) to go straight to your TV, and one marked 'SUB (Audio Only)' which you connect to your receiver in the usual way.

Job done.

x305BDK8500-o_backdetail.jpg

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Without knowing your TV and your receiver it's hard to offer advice, but I presume you've got a 4K TV otherwise you're wasting your time.

However....

If your receiver is 4K pass-through capable, and you have a 4K TV, and if you only watch Blu-Rays with the receiver and surround sound speakers on, connect the HDMI cable from the 4K Blu-Ray player directly to the receiver, and a second HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

Despite what anyone else says around here, use an HDMI 2.0 cable and spend a couple of extra Pounds / Euros / whatever on half-decent ones - no need to go crazy, just don't expect a really cheap one to work well.

If you like to watch Blu-Rays with or without the receiver, connect the main HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray player directly to the TV, then connect the secondary HDMI output to the receiver with another HDMI cable from as Norman suggested. This also gets around the problem of your receiver not "doing" 4K pass-through, if that's the problem.

For watching TV and other sources (satellite / cable, terrestrial TV, etc) and listening to them using the receiver, use the ARC input on your TV to connect between the receiver and the TV, OR use fibre-optic interconnects from your source(s) to the receiver's fiber optic inputs. If your source(s) don't have fibre-optic outputs, use digital co-axial cables or analogue RCA interconnects the same as you would on a hi-fi.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification and exposition: I'd kind of assumed from the original question that the TV was 4K capable, but the receiver wasn't.

TRENDING THREADS