4K picture modes

manicm

I've just purchased my first 4k TV and I've noticed that the Cinema picture mode is a touch more realistic, but not as sharp as the Standard mode, even with picture sharpness turned off. And I find myself still switching between modes.

What are other's experiencences? Samsung would have Standard and Movie modes I think.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
think better to to use standard mode and if possible check the TV you want to buy . reading reports on websites like this which give unbias opinions not a manufactures spill . Off course have to decide size of screen and how much want to pay . decisions, decisions . 4k UHD and 60 hz at least are the minimum . For any decision i would make 2year warranty or better still 3 years

Tinman1952

I think it depends on the content you are watching... 'Cinema' mode is usually the most accurate in terms of colour... particularly the white balance which is notably warmer than 'standard'. Of course it is meant for watching movies in a darkened room....
Standard is a good compromise for general TV and sport I find.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
the only other thing to consider is game mode does one play a lot of computer games on that big screen? But me i tend to watch Netflix Amazon and Sky so the latest TV does not bother me .. personally Films well i have a lot of DVDs and a few Blu rays . on my two PLASMA s. I not ready to change TVs why ? they both work well good picture and sounds ( small room ) I doubt i ay more than £400 for any new TV myself . Why others do is up to them but does help to look at the specs and advice from here too

Cinema mode is for a lights out, curtains drawn scenario, where the room is dark. It reduces the overall brightness to be comfortable in a darkened room. Watching in other modes can be too bright, but use cinema mode during a sunny day and you’ll hardly see anything.

I set the equivalent to cinema mode on my TV to my preference for that mode, then use standard as a slightly brighter mode, and vivid for those films that have been produced too darkly - so it’s a three step choice which are slightly brighter than the previous one. I usually end up using standard mode.

I can’t remember getting a telly where I didn’t immediately reduce both Contrast and Colour saturation, and usually increase Brightness. And that goes back to CRT days.

Now there are so many smoothing, sharpening, de-noising and heavens knows what, it take ages to get anywhere. Which? Magazine helpfully suggest settings for every telly they review.

With our most recent 2021 LG tv I think the presets are a bit more usable from the off, so maybe we are getting there.

Last edited:

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Here’s some tips on picture mode from Cnet.com:

See below the Pioneer plasma review. They recommend cinema mode and isf bright mode.

Last edited:
Here’s some tips on picture mode from Cnet.com:

See below the Pioneer plasma review. They recommend cinema mode and isf bright mode.
Isn’t that about seven years old though? The OP was regarding 4K screens, though I realise that maybe isn’t the key point.

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Isn’t that about seven years old though? The OP was regarding 4K screens, though I realise that maybe isn’t the key point.
Below the Pioneer review is the LG C1 OLED review the TV the OP has. I thinking it’s speaking about 4K and non 4k picture modes in general. With regards to 4K picture mode I would just leave it in cinema mode for example always and then whatever 4K selects as it’s preferred option.

Below the Pioneer review is the LG C1 OLED review the TV the OP has. I thinking it’s speaking about 4K and non 4k picture modes in general. With regards to 4K picture mode I would just leave it in cinema mode for example always and then whatever 4K selects as it’s preferred option.
Ah, I see now. Sorry I was too keen to see the opening date and never imagined there would be newer later!

Our LG switches to Cinema for Netflix and similar, and yes it’s easy on the eye, if a bit warm for my taste.

Reactions: Freddy

Freddy

BANNED
May 18, 2022
Visit site
Ah, I see now. Sorry I was too keen to see the opening date and never imagined there would be newer later!

Our LG switches to Cinema for Netflix and similar, and yes it’s easy on the eye, if a bit warm for my taste.
No probs. I mainly use standard for 4K and Filmmaker mode for everything else. It takes a while to get used to Filmmaker mode and it can look dull at first and for a while.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts