4K or Blu-ray?

mannisrai

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Right. So I have the BDP-S370 Blu-ray player - quite old, but picture quality still to this day never fails to amaze me. But I think it's on it's way out or maybe I just want to upgrade lol. So my question is - should I upgrade to 4K Blu-ray, upgrade to a 4K upscaling player or keep with my current player?

I have a 46" 1080 TV and I've heard you won't really notice a difference between 1080 and 4K at that size but a youtube video I saw said that 4K compressed to 1080 looks better than 1080 on it's own? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIf9h2Gkm_U

So to break it down I have a 1080 setup and the only thing that will be 4K would be the 4K player - is it worth the upgrade or will a 4K upscaling do the same thing in terms of picture quality? Also realistically, I will have to wait for a 4K player to reduce in price as I won't be spending £429 on a player... However a 4K player will futureproof me when I do get a new disc player! UGH, so many things to consider! Can anyone help me out?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You have said you won't pay 429 so that answers you own question there don't be much of a discount on these until there are more on the market

Or if I suppose none sell but I bet quite a few will be sold been a long wait

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
A 1080p TV won't play 4k any more than an old black and white TV will do colour. Unless you upgrade your TV to 4k as well, there's no point. You don't need to upgrade your receiver if it can do 4k pass through and even if it can't you can work around the problems by connecting your BluRay to the TV and receiver. On the other hand many if not all 4k tvs and receivers upscale from 1080p to 4k anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts