4k is it worthy

alancrane

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Will 4k realy take off or just flop. Will it be for younger generation who majority strugglin with employment and income and while the generation up allready forked out on hd tv's going to purchase a 4k tv. May be in five years or so when all tv's be manufactered with 4k? I personly would have thought oled be the way to go not 4k exspecally you can get a very good tv for well under £1000-£500 4k tv manufactors saving grace i cant see it happining. Disscuss.

It will certainly take off, but will take at least 2-3 years. Manufacturers are being aggressive, and this year, there won't be much difference in price between a 4K TV and a flagship 1080p TV.

I don't understand your comment of "OLED is the way to go and not 4K". Both are completely different and not competing with each other. You can have a 4K OLED TV; LG is bringing out a few this year.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I don't understand your comment of "OLED is the way to go and not 4K". Both are completely different and not competing with each other. You can have a 4K OLED TV; LG is bringing out a few this year.

You are correct, Doctor. I do hope that this isn't about to become a tiresome trend. This is now the second thread (after http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/4k-ultra-hd-v-oledwhich-will-win) to begin with a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between OLED (a technology) and 4K (the resolution of a screen, usually 3840 by 2160 picture elements). You can have one or other, or both, or neither, on a particular television.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
4K isn't another 3D.

Like all technology, it is slowly currently coming down in price. Eventually, you'll probably find that 4K TVs are the norm just as 1080p ones are nowadays. If for any reason prices don't come down to 'unemployment level', there's no one forcing 4K TVs on anyone - 1080p will still be around for a very long time - you'd think by now that 'HD Ready' TVs would be a thing of the past...

T

theflyingwasp

I feel we've been talking about this 4k ,UHD , OLED etc forever and we are still waiting and waiting for players and content,yeah ok the tvs are coming out but buying a 4k of any kind just now seems very frustrating and pointless.

as to if "4k is it worthy" yeah I think it will be great but for a movie buff such as myself are many of my reference quality Blu rays going to look any better when the 4k version comes out .it will be the same as half the clowns out there re-buying their entire DVD collection on Blu-ray not realising the copy of the Blu ray is no better than their original DVD .it will be the same of the 4k Blu rays when they come out some point this century!

people don't buy TVs just for movies but 4k for the news and eastenders is just daft.it us only going to be the sport and movie fans shelling out for 4k and as for this Netflix 4k streaming it just makes me laugh .the quality of these streaming services at 1080p are horrific never mind 4k.

to all manufacturers GET YOUR FINGERS OUT

T

theflyingwasp

As for big bosses remark on the 4k LG OLED I think it's 77inchs that size for me would be the perfect for me upgrade going from 60 - 77inch .that size would take full advantage of 4k but no pricing was available which to me screams only for people with very deep pockets.4k in 55inch I just don't get it stick with 1080p

T

theflyingwasp

bigboss said:
theflyingwasp said:
it will be the same as half the clowns out there re-buying their entire DVD collection on Blu-ray not realising the copy of the Blu ray is no better than their original DVD .

Depends on which DVDs. For most films, blu rays are a significant step up in quality over DVDs.

yes many are but many are not .a lot of older catalogue titles just simply aren't worth the upgrade.im sure when Blu ray first hit the market a lot of titles were 1080i tears of the sun springs to mind.

on my 60inch screen will the 4k version of Prometheus ,skyfall or the avengers look any better? I doubt it.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Like all technology, it is slowly currently coming down in price. Eventually, you'll probably find that 4K TVs are the norm just as 1080p ones are nowadays. If for any reason prices don't come down to 'unemployment level', there's no one forcing 4K TVs on anyone - 1080p will still be around for a very long time - you'd think by now that 'HD Ready' TVs would be a thing of the past...

Indeed, David, I was surprised a few months ago to realise that "HD Ready" TVs were still being made and still selling well enough!

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Although manufacturers are rushing to embrace 4k, content will ultimately decide the success of the format. I saw the demo of 8K during the 2012 Olympics and they were already talking about 8K broadcasts by 2020. Are the major broadcasters going to spend considerable sums of money investing in 4k facilities only to then start all over again for 8K a couple of years later, or are they going to hold fire and go straight to 8K. If they do decide to wait then 4K will become primarily a way of watching films and specifically created content, which probably will not be enough to persuade the majority of consumers to embrace and support the format.

daveh75

My biggest issue at the moment is the dishonest way in which '4K' being marketed.

Up until '4K' arrived on the scene when discussing video, it was refered to as 'SD', ''HD' or by the vertical resolution.

It should be refered to as UHD or 2160p,..

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
When its affordable i will not be able to hold off buying a new 4K TV but what gets me its the content, not so much broadcasted stuff but its things like all the hundreds of blu rays i have purchased and upgraded from dvd, i think i will go with a streaming service that provides 4K for all future films if that happens

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
When I demoed 4K vs 1080p, there is a significant step up in resolution to my eyes.

Check this:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/4k-tv-10-reasons-why-you-should-care

Its funny life already looks sharper on our TVs in HD than actually looking across the room at a picture on our walls, does anyone find this strange at times?

landzw said:
Its funny life already looks sharper on our TVs in HD than actually looking across the room at a picture on our walls, does anyone find this strange at times?

You need glasses. :)

A full HD 1080p TV has 2,073,600 pixels (1920x1080) no matter how big it is. The tiny human eye has the equivalent of 74,000,000 pixels, so it is much, much sharper.

http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/eye-resolution.html

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
as to if "4k is it worthy" yeah I think it will be great but for a movie buff such as myself are many of my reference quality Blu rays going to look any better when the 4k version comes out .it will be the same as half the clowns out there re-buying their entire DVD collection on Blu-ray not realising the copy of the Blu ray is no better than their original DVD .
I don't know how many Blurays I have, but I have less than 10 that are no improvement on the DVD version. A few of those are using substandard masters (Escape From New York for example), and some are just down to the style of film (Them and Pi spring to mind). As for the rest, which is nearing 1000, they're clearly better than the DVD versions. If someone doesn't realise there's clear differences between heavily compressed DVD and far less compressed Bluray....

people don't buy TVs just for movies but 4k for the news and eastenders is just daft.it us only going to be the sport and movie fans shelling out for 4k and as for this Netflix 4k streaming it just makes me laugh .the quality of these streaming services at 1080p are horrific never mind 4k.
I have to disagree there. The majority of the 1080 stuff I've watched on Netflix has been very good, as is the audio. I hope you're not expecting Bluray levels of quality. If it was as bad as you say, I wouldn't be paying them £5.99 every month.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts