46G20 motion and banding issues

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:

ok , one step at a time ..

blurry when watching what source , blu-ray ? dvds ? hd tv broadcasts ? sd tv ?

what settings are you using ? dynamic ?

Yep i have been using dynamic at the moment but not all the time, i have used normal, on all sources to be honest it can happen.

Also do you know what that firmware update does?

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

no idea what the firmware update does but you should get it ..

do you have ifc turned off gel ? you should have ..

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:

no idea what the firmware update does but you should get it ..

do you have ifc turned off gel ? you should have ..

Don't think so, but on blu ray i don't think you can turn it off.i have on blu ray smooth film on and resolution enhancer on mid.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

ifc is smooth film when a blu-ray is playing , it should be off really gel , although it wont cause blurring , it looks awful..

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:ifc is smooth film when a blu-ray is playing , it should be off really gel , although it wont cause blurring , it looks awful..

It what way does it look awful?, i can't tell.

Max i don't know if you have got this blu ray but iron maiden flight 666 looks brilliant on this tv, if you have not got it you should try a rent or borrow a copy just to see what it is like
emotion-21.gif

Cheers.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
NSYGrinner,

Great to hear that the replacement is up to standard...but also very worrying that tv's of such vastly different quality could be sold as exactly the same tv. Is it a case of QC slipping amongst the big hitters of late i wonder?

All your comments about the tv ring true for me too but i must say that i see no colour banding in both the scenes you mention on the Dark Knight bd, i can't help but think that this may be down to the smaller screen size i have. Not in terms of one being better than the other, just the physical size of the screens making a difference to the image as obviously any banding will be more evident on a larger screen??

Don't worry about the soft image as Max said your eyes will soon adjust to the image and you won't want to go back to lcd!

Wishing you many happy hours/years of viewing
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Oldboy: This tv is vastly different to the previous. I played a bit of Dirt 2 last night and the movement was so much better. I watched the opening scene to Star Trek as well. There was some banding on the lens flares from all the spotlights but nothing like before. Until/if the screen settles down some more I wouldn't use it as a test disc to show off to friends.

As you mentioned about the screen size. That does make sense as the bigger the screen the less the dpi.

I'll play around with the settings over the coming weekend and take it from there. If for whatever reason this set fails us I don't what we would do with regards an alternative anyway. There's no way I would spend more on a V20 now.

PINK MOON

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
I have a 42G20 an im getting both the issues in question, its really annoying, Sky HD is my source and its reds that do the most damage,, almost like a strobe effect on screen.

It was my first lcd/plasma purchase and i just put it down to characteristics,, ill be gutted if there is an issue, i have had it for around 2 months or so. Bought from Richer Sounds.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
PINK MOON:

I have a 42G20 an im getting both the issues in question, its really annoying, Sky HD is my source and its reds that do the most damage,, almost like a strobe effect on screen.

It was my first lcd/plasma purchase and i just put it down to characteristics,, ill be gutted if there is an issue, i have had it for around 2 months or so. Bought from Richer Sounds.

Sounds faulty to me. But you could be one of those people that are susceptible to seeing 'phosphor trails' on plasmas?

PINK MOON

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
Would you not say its the case that its either there or isnt? I dont think it subtle,, but from what i have seen from many TV's not uncommon.

A

Anonymous

Well I've had this second tv since last Tuesday. I've spent all weekend playing with various settings and trawling the net for advice. I did a firmaware update on Thursday night (2.408). The motion problem is not really there but I'm seeing slight phosphor trailing. Mainly on high contrast scenes with speedy movement or pans. I get it in some racing games when swerving left or right and The Hurt Locker bd. The colour banding has come back, not as bad as before but still unacceptable. The opening scenes of Star Trek are very noticable. There is also a lot of posterisation (I think that is the phrase) on faces. This occurs in on all sd sources and the hd channels of Freeview to some extent. Apart from slashing 5 seconds offf my time at Hotel Lisboa on PGR4 I have had no real enjoyment from this tv.

I'm off to Leeds today and will have a word in the Panasonic shop to see what they can advise and look at the 42D25. I'm going to call in at the Sony Centre as well to have another look at the HX703.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
NSYGrinner:

Well I've had this second tv since last Tuesday. I've spent all weekend playing with various settings and trawling the net for advice. I did a firmaware update on Thursday night (2.408). The motion problem is not really there but I'm seeing slight phosphor trailing. Mainly on high contrast scenes with speedy movement or pans. I get it in some racing games when swerving left or right and The Hurt Locker bd. The colour banding has come back, not as bad as before but still unacceptable. The opening scenes of Star Trek are very noticable. There is also a lot of posterisation (I think that is the phrase) on faces. This occurs in on all sd sources and the hd channels of Freeview to some extent. Apart from slashing 5 seconds offf my time at Hotel Lisboa on PGR4 I have had no real enjoyment from this tv.

I'm off to Leeds today and will have a word in the Panasonic shop to see what they can advise and look at the 42D25. I'm going to call in at the Sony Centre as well to have another look at the HX703.

Nooooooo!! I'm gutted for you NSYGrinner, a 2nd tv going back, i really know your pain! This is so puzzling to me as from what Pink Moon was saying these problems may not be limited to just the 46 inch as i beleive his/her problems are with a 42 inch but mine has been great. As for the phosphor trailing on that set, it's exactly what is happening and i still get some very slight trailing on SD low quality channels (Dave etc) and some slight instances with DVD but with games i've only ever had one game with trailing and that was Dirt2 when driving in Morocco, i had one section with trailing right in front of the car where the bonnet met the ground but tried it again straight afterwards and it was gone which was weird.

I know plasma tv's need on average 200hrs run in but these problems are not acceptable and i too would be taking the tv back, i too have the Star Trek BD and get none of those effects on my tv. The fact that it is happening across multiple sources points to something being wrong for sure but then i do remember being underwhelmed when i first got my g20, there was alot of trailing at first and a washed out feel to the picture (perhaps due to just replacing for an lcd?) but i never felt that it was faulty as i expected alot of run in time untill it hit it's peak and it has got better and better as time has gone by.

I'm convinced these and many issues across tv manufacturers are just down to quality control or the lack of it perhaps lol because i can find no other answer as to why tv's that are supposed to be 'exactly' the same are performing in such vastly different ways?? I wonder also IF manufacturers change internal components during the lifetime of a tv from the original components and how this may effect the performance, be that positive or negative!?

I look forward to hearing how you got on in Leeds and hopefully with some good news for a change lol
emotion-21.gif

Best regards

Oldboy

A

Anonymous

Leeds was a disaster. the Panasonic shop were no help what so ever. I told them of my problems. Which they said they haven't sold may 46G20s but had not of any issues with them or the 42G20. I said well I may be lokking at a 42V20 or a 42D25. Their response was basically "there they are have. have a look at them for yourself". No indication that they were going to offer assistance.

The Sony Centre is shut down for a refurb. It doesn't reopen till the 18th Sept. Just my luck.

I gave the tv one last chance last night. I played around with some settings and use a THX disc (Star Wars: Episode III). The image for the most part was spot on. Non of the issues with 50hz. The banding and posterisation were still there on sd. I thought maybe I can get used to it. I will be upgrading to Sky HD when things are sorted. I have the 360 set to 1080i through component whch seems better. GTAIV doesn't seem as clear as I thought it would be when flying a helicopter but again nothing I couldn't get used to. I put 'Up' bd on. The first scene of Carl as a kiddie in the cinema with the projector behind him had really bad banding on the bulb flare. with it being a static camera shot and on screen for a second or so, it was really obvious. This was the deal breaker. It's now back in the box waiting to go back this evening.

Now do I go with a 42G20, 42V20 or a Sony 46HX703? I can just imagine problems with backlight bleeding and clouding, knowing my luck.

A

Anonymous

NSYGrinner:
Leeds was a disaster. the Panasonic shop were no help what so ever. I told them of my problems. Which they said they haven't sold may 46G20s but had not of any issues with them or the 42G20. I said well I may be lokking at a 42V20 or a 42D25. Their response was basically "there they are have. have a look at them for yourself". No indication that they were going to offer assistance.

The Sony Centre is shut down for a refurb. It doesn't reopen till the 18th Sept. Just my luck.

I gave the tv one last chance last night. I played around with some settings and use a THX disc (Star Wars: Episode III). The image for the most part was spot on. Non of the issues with 50hz. The banding and posterisation were still there on sd. I thought maybe I can get used to it. I will be upgrading to Sky HD when things are sorted. I have the 360 set to 1080i through component whch seems better. GTAIV doesn't seem as clear as I thought it would be when flying a helicopter but again nothing I couldn't get used to. I put 'Up' bd on. The first scene of Carl as a kiddie in the cinema with the projector behind him had really bad banding on the bulb flare. with it being a static camera shot and on screen for a second or so, it was really obvious. This was the deal breaker. It's now back in the box waiting to go back this evening.

Now do I go with a 42G20, 42V20 or a Sony 46HX703? I can just imagine problems with backlight bleeding and clouding, knowing my luck.

Have you tried setting you blu ray player to 60hz instead of 24p, some people have said that helps a lot with colour banding and motion,

A

Anonymous

NSY

You can take it from me that Sony centre are just as bad maybe worse they just fobbed me off regarding backlight bleed saying they have never had any complaints:) We all know better though!!!

A

Anonymous

I can't switch the BD player to 60hz. If I turn 24 frame mosdde off it switches to 50hz. I had no motion problems but the banding was still there. I feel I shouldn't have to use a processing mode on the BD player to get an acceptable picture. If the disc is 1080p 24 then if the player is set to that I should get an acceptable picture.

I'm not really up on this backlight bleed/clouding thing. I know what it is, but is it something that appears within a few hours of getting the tv or does it take a few days/weeks to appear and then get worse. If it appears and it is minor will it stay that way. The Samsung 46C750 I originally got, had some backlight bleed in the bottom right hand corner. I only noticed it after a day or so. It could have been there all along though. I measured it and it came into the screen by around 22-25mm. It never got any worse. In normal viewing during the day or with the wall lights on in the evening it was not noticable. Nothing to worry about.

As for the Panasonic G20 I'm not going to recommend 46" to anyone. It's just to risky. I know from experience that they can be really bad.

TRENDING THREADS