camcroft

I am looking for a 3m RCA cable that I want to run from my turntable to my powered speakers. I am using a 1m RCA but when we sit with our back to the speakers they are not giving out the right signal. the powered speaker which should be the left speaker is the right so I want to turn them around but then the left speaker will be around 2 to 3m away. I don't want to spend a fortune on so called audiophile cable. Could anyone please suggest a decent quality cable that they have possibly used themselves. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes

Fandango Andy

I am looking for a 3m RCA cable that I want to run from my turntable to my powered speakers. I am using a 1m RCA but when we sit with our back to the speakers they are out of phase as the powered speaker which should be the left speaker is the right so I want to turn them around but then the left speaker will be around 2 to 3m away. I don't want to spend a fortune on so called audiophile cable. Could anyone please suggest a decent quality cable that they have possibly used themselves. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure that's how hearing works!

If you do need an affordable longer cable, Amazon Basics.

Vincent Kars

is feeding powered speakers
A powered speaker today is often a master (the one with the build-in stereo amp) and a slave, a passive one connected with speaker cable to the master. If the documentation says the master should be te left one, so you do to get the R and L signal right.
If you reverse the speakers (or sit with your back to them) you can get R & L right by swapping the inputs on the master.

Reactions: camcroft

camcroft

A powered speaker today is often a master (the one with the build-in stereo amp) and a slave, a passive one connected with speaker cable to the master. If the documentation says the master should be te left one, so you do to get the R and L signal right.
If you reverse the speakers (or sit with your back to them) you can get R & L right by swapping the inputs on the master.
Thank you Vincent. I have changed the connections at the speaker end but not at the back of the turntable is that correct.

Fandango Andy

When I stand up facing the speakers the sound is quite different as I have always been led to believe the left speaker is the main speaker for sound.

There are a few different things going on here so lets break it down to make sure I haven't misunderstood you.

Vincent is spot on, some powered speaker have the build-in stereo amp in one speaker and the other is passive, and connected by a wire. This doesn't make one a "main speaker for sound", they both should give out as much sound.

Vincent is also correct if you swap your RCA inputs you will make your left speaker the right and so on.

However, is that really what you really want to do? In the original post you said:

but when we sit with our back to the speakers they are not giving out the right signal. the powered speaker which should be the left speaker is the right so I want to turn them around

Are you suggesting that they sound OK when you face them, but not so good when you face away?

That is normal, our ears are shaped forward, and we normally face our loudspeakers so you have trained your brain to perceive a soundstage that way. Some people who listen to a lot of music on a system with a good sound stage experience a phenomenon when listening to headphones, that the music is coming from behind them.

Making left right, and right left isn't going to fix the issue, and it will make it even worse when you turn around. If you mainly listen to music with your back to the speakers, try playing with the positioning of the speakers. If you have the toe in, maybe reduce that a little, if they are not to in, try and introduce a little of that maybe with a crossover point in front of you when your back is to the system.

Reactions: Gray and camcroft

camcroft

What about the times when you face the speakers (like normal people do 😆) - or don't you?
Would you want them permanently suiting your backwards listening?
Yes because of the room layout which is a conservatory can only be used with them behind me no other choice given the shape of the conservatory. My backwards listening has nothin to do with the soundstage.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts