3D TV who provides the best 3D?

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a Panasonic GT30 TV at present and to be honest only really see 3D as a gimmick.But as I had 20 mins to kill while waiting for my wife to shop headed into curry's and looked at the TV's etc. They had a Samsung 55" playing a demo and it produced the most depth from a 3D set I have seen. The planes and gliders were literally bursting into the room, far superior to my panasonic set.

Could this be the quality of the demo using all the tricks to make it look good or are the latest samsungs now taking the lead. I viewed all the other 3d sets in the shop and none matched the depth on the samsung - especially the lg passive technology.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
what size is your gt30 versus the screen in the shop? also consider that LCDs will typically be much brighter than plasma's so it will appear to be more colourful etc.. on a like for like calibrated basis in the same environment the panny plasma's are generally regarded as hard to beat.. especially when it comes to crosstalk

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It also depends on your priorities. There are advantages and drawbacks to both current 3DTV technologies. In principle, the so-called "passive" glasses systems are designed to be less fatiguing and eliminate problems with crosstalk (at least that's how they're marketed). Furthermore, passive glasses are certainly more cost effective than "active shutter" systems. The trade-off, of course, is a loss of resolution.

I'd agree with micks_address that LCDs will seem punchier under shop lighting conditions, probably using the dynamic picture preset or its equivalent, but this experience doesn't necessarily translate to home viewing. Doesn't the GT30 also allow you tweak the depth of the 3D picture (to be honest I'm not sure with that model)? If so, it's worth experimenting to find a setting you like.

Sounds to me like you're suffering a common symptom of AV enthusiasm after purchasing new equipment, namely an obsessive need to validate your choice by endlessly comparing it with other options. The GT30 is an excellent TV, with 2D and 3D content. I'd rest easy that you made the right decision and simply enjoy your new toy!

A

Anonymous

I bought My 46GT30 recently. In the shop the kids were in awe of the LG demo. I explained to my 10year old that the picture is optimized to draw your attention to it. It did look impressive. After having my Pana for a couple of weeks, adjusting the picture and setting on the PS3 ( I know, I know but its my boys domain!) they are more impressed now than they were with the LG. As for post purchase syndrome, I have none of it. This set is the dogs. The picture whether 2D or 3D is fabulous. I always use What HiFi for advice and on this especially they were spot on! I was an early adopter of Plasma. my 42 inch standard def pana ( £3000 back then!!) has never after years of use given any trouble. Its now in my boys bedroom. If the new one performs in the same flawless manner for as many years I will be a happy bunny!

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Sounds to me like you're suffering a common symptom of AV enthusiasm after purchasing new equipment.....

Can you get tablets for that!

Nope, that and the continuous need to improve my system is something that I have never suffered from. I have had my TV for a year now and I am not interested in replacing it. I was just suprised at how much more depth the 3D effect of the samsung had over the other models in the shop - even comparing similar sized and priced screens.

The passive system did not seem to be set up correctly as crosstalk could be seen. The panasonic which I would argue has the best quality picture still did not make the images 'pop out' the screen as much as the samsung. I would like to have tried the samsung demo disc in the other manufacturers TV's.

I was interested from peoples experience from what they have viewed which they preferred.

strapped for cash said:
Doesn't the GT30 also allow you tweak the depth of the 3D picture (to be honest I'm not sure with that model)? If so, it's worth experimenting to find a setting you like.

Not for native 3D content, you can tweak the depth when converting from 2D to 3D.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts