3D Inevitability ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
grdunn123:This is kinda like the reception that Sky got when they first introduced their HD box4 years or so ago. It cost £300 + installation + sub and there was very little material worth watching. I guarantee that in 3-4 years max we'll all have 3D tv's......I guarantee we won't. My last TV lasted 7 years and was passed on via freecycle. The previous one, lasted 13 and was given away to friends. Unless my Kuro develops a terminal fault, I expect it to be on my wall for at least another 10 years. Like many millions of people I do not have full stereoscopic vision (lazy eye) and 3D TV (yes I have seen it) works badly for me. I am interested in HIfi/AV, none of my relatives and only one of my friends has any HD source at all. If I am not going to 3D in the near future, there is 0 chance any of them will, particularly if they have to wear ridiculous glasses. 3d is a damp squib.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
albriscoe:

Since we`ve had the jvc in the demo room on our 138" 2.40:1 scope screen everyone and I mean everyone who has seen it so far has had nothing but praise for the quality of the 3d imageing.

Yes, I'm sure that's the case. But that set up's not very representative of what people will have in their homes...

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
After viewing 3D on the Panasonic i'm left in no doubt that 3d will get established.

I got the same feeling as when i first heard dolby pro logic and then Dolby Digital (AC3), saw my first plasma TV (£12000 had to wait a while till the price came down mind) , laserdisc and then DVD. Which was more or less yea going to have to get this.

Didn't get this feeling with HD more of a miffed feeling that i would have to upgrade took me an age to go HD.

Up until i've seen it on the panasonic 3D has been a gimmik i'm not interested in.

Now i've gone from not interested to maybe which basically mean eventually.

Read a review of Resident Evil Afterlife 3D absolutely gagging about the 3D in a fight scene set in a shower.

My numpty mates (numpty in AV terms) are all talking about getting 3D TV's (well 3 of them anyway)

So that was why i posted of 3D's inevitability........ because it's inevitable.

A

Anonymous

I really do believe that 3D Telly is doomed in its current format. As above I won't be partaking. The numerous demos I have seen have mostly be atrocious. I do not wear glasses and do not wish to wear them to watch films. Only one caveat to this and that's going to the IMAX. but then that is an incredible experience! unlike 3D Telly.
Sure if the technology is developed to a point where a whole wall in your living room can immerse your in a wrap around 3D world( as seen in Total Recal) then I am in with bells on. Until then I feel the industry has invested heavily in the current format and needs to get it's money back! like any technology I guess.
But seriously they can sod off if they think they are getting one penny from me at the moment. My blu ray player with Samsung Plasma is the real deal! incredible detail and life like movement.

On one particular demo which I had with a gentleman I didn't know and a very over enthusiastic sales man.we both felt that the whole 3D effect was ruined by being able to see everything to the side of the screen in 2D and 3D in the middle. It was very weird and headache inducing. By the end of the demo even the salesman looked like he was trying to flog a dead horse. I love tec! but at the moment 3D is pap.

These are just my thoughts but I do believe that wearing glasses to watch 3D tv is not the future.
D

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
v1c:So that was why i posted of 3D's inevitability........ because it's inevitable.

I think it's inevitable that people will have the ability to play 3D in their homes, just because it's now difficult to actually buy kit which isn't 3D enabled, so when you upgrade, you get it by default.

What isn't inevitable is people buying the software. Look at HD as a case in point - many people have got HDTVs because they had no choice but to get one when they upgraded, but how many people have upgraded their DVD players to Blu-Ray players? How many people subscribe to HD services? And then how many people believe that just because they've got an HDTV, they're watching HD?

So yes, it's inevitable that people will have the hardware in their house, but is it inevitable that people will be buying lots of 3D Blu-Ray titles and subscribing to 3D TV services? Not in my mind.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I'm with "Yummy Mousse" on this one.

We almost have no choice but to buy the hardware if we are renewing current equipment - either upgrading or through breakdown - but the software support (at the moment) is not there.

Clever marketing gurus will use the purchases to their advantage touting the upturn in sales of 3D equipment but in reality we have little choice when buying a BD player or TV without it having the ability to play a 3D source.

I'd rather they left it out.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

I've only seen 2 "proper" 3D films in the Cinema, Avatar and Tron. I enjoyed Avatar not because it was 3D, not because of the storyline (what storyline?) but because it was entertaining. I didn't really link Tron, but this was mainly because I thought the entire concept was actually quote dull. The 3D in Tron seemed very average. I'm assuming that these new 3D sets aren't living up to the full cinema experience so I have no idea how I'd find them (laughable?).

At its current stage I can't see 3D living up to the vast hype surrounding it. Yes Avatar was good in 3D but I've also seen it in 2D and it was still just as enjoyable.

A

Anonymous

Well we are never going to either sit rigidly in a 3D sweet spot for directly viewable 3D TV's or don on the Brains specs regularly, but I would guess we all will be only too pleased to do so on occasions. I really liked some 3D stuff I have seen, and I don't think we have seen the best of what can be produced by a long way. My prediction is when the Hobbit comes out with a director who is up on this technology and shoots the film with the best 3D outcome in mind the tide will turn for all the naysayers. For sure if you are getting a new TV you would me a mug not to get one with 3D capabilities. Ok don't get the big Spectacles until you find there are enough good films to make it worth watching one a month, but that would be enough to tempt most I would think. And I say again, unless perhaps you only have a small TV, I think you will find the occasional 3D home viewing a real treat. So 3D TV inevitable? IMHO yes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts