3d confusion

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
im sure i recently read that all existing bluray players had to be able to play the new 3d discs,witch made me belive that it would be the new tvs that would do the 3d magic.

but today i read a company was bringing out a 3d bluray player with an add on adapter that would make an excisting tv 3d ready

so now im a bit confused what we will need to buy to get 3d up and running.im gussing our 1.3 hdmi leads will be ok as sky are updating there sky hd boxes to run 3d and i doubt there outputs are capable of more than 1.3

As far as I'm aware, the existing blu-ray players WILL NOT be compatible with 3D discs, except the PS3 which will probably be able to play 3D discs by means of a firmware upgrade.

There is some confusion regarding PS3 3D compatibility because they have not specified blu-ray films..........they said that the PS3 will be able to play 3D games after the firmware update.............so the speculation is rife that if it can play 3D games, it can play 3D blu ray discs as well.

I think that's why 3D technology will fail, because in order to watch a gimmicky 3D film or programme, you will have to buy a 3D compatible blu-ray player & TV. No one will see the requirement in smaller TVs (where the biggest market is).

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
cheers bb

ok so new 3d tv

new bluray player(posibly use my ps3)

1.3 hdmis should be ok and onkyo amp should be able to pass through the 3d signal

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

You may have read that 3D discs will be backwards compatible with current BD players. This means that a 2D version of the film will be on the disc so current players will play that - newer 3D enabled players will play the 3D version of the film?

Just a guess though.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:
As far as I'm aware, the existing blu-ray players WILL NOT be compatible with 3D discs, except the PS3 which will probably be able to play 3D discs by means of a firmware upgrade.

There is some confusion regarding PS3 3D compatibility because they have not specified blu-ray films..........they said that the PS3 will be able to play 3D games after the firmware update.............so the speculation is rife that if it can play 3D games, it can play 3D blu ray discs as well.

I think that's why 3D technology will fail, because in order to watch a gimmicky 3D film or programme, you will have to buy a 3D compatible blu-ray player & TV. No one will see the requirement in smaller TVs (where the biggest market is).

Hello mate,

If they can make the ps3 compatible with 3d blu ray via firmware update then why cant the do it to my Sony bdp s550 player, it's also connected to network via ethernet.

Cheers.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Cofnchtr:Hi, You may have read that 3D discs will be backwards compatible with current BD players. This means that a 2D version of the film will be on the disc so current players will play that - newer 3D enabled players will play the 3D version of the film? Just a guess though. Cheers, Cofnchtr.

yeah that was probably it.im sure i read it when the standerd was anounced.i took it as all blu ray players would have to play 3d but it probably ment the discs and like you said a 2d version

Neil Howells:

Hello mate,

If they can make the ps3 compatible with 3d blu ray via firmware update then why cant the do it to my Sony bdp s550 player, it's also connected to network via ethernet.

Cheers.

The PS3 is a different beast altogether. It's unlike any other BD player out there. It has a very powerful processor to play games, which is an overkill for standalone BD players, so they don't use them (perhaps that's why the PS3 can be noisy).

I'm assuming that 3D discs will require a more powerful processor to play, which only the PS3 has currently.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:
Neil Howells:

Hello mate,

Cheers.

The PS3 is a different beast altogether. It's unlike any other BD player out there. It has a very powerful processor to play games, which is an overkill for standalone BD players, so they don't use them (perhaps that's why the PS3 can be noisy).

I'm assuming that 3D discs will require a more powerful processor to play, which only the PS3 has currently.

Hello bigboss,

that sounds logical mate, thanks for the reply.

2cool

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
ok so what we think is that the ps3 is the only bd player to be a 3d player thats on the market now but most of us home cinema lovers will have upgraded our bd players for better pic/sound quality already, so it will be another 2k for a hd 3d tv and if you want a dedicated 3d bd player thats about £500, not good if you have got bought a new setup recently that you assumed is "future proof"

2cool:

ok so what we think is that the ps3 is the only bd player to be a 3d player thats on the market now but most of us home cinema lovers will have upgraded our bd players for better pic/sound quality already, so it will be another 2k for a hd 3d tv and if you want a dedicated 3d bd player thats about £500, not good if you have got bought a new setup recently that you assumed is "future proof"

Exactly the reason why I think the 3D technology will fail, atleast initially (the first 5 years or so). PS3's 3D capabilities for blu-ray films is only an assumption until we hear something positive from the manufacturer.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
you could be right bb.but im still waiting to see what happens before i buy any more kit .i really would like to get that new sony 760 and i want to get a new tv for the world cup but i want to no i cant aford the new 3d stuff first

TRENDING THREADS