3910 freezes when linked to 4308?

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

Finally got my new av kit, Denon 4308 amp, monitor audio silver 7.1 and PDPLX508D.

My sky HD is HDMI 1.3 to the amp and opticalled too - all good

My HD-DVD is HDMI 1.3 to the amp - all good

My Denon 3910 DVD is HDMI 1.3 to the amp and is not good, if I turn the DVD on without turning on the amp all works fine (obviously no picture or sound output cos the amps off but at least it will play, stop, rewind, eject etc). Then if I turn on the 4308 the 3910 then just freezes, the counter stops, I can't stop, eject, ffwd etc, nothing. This is not just through the remote even pressing the buttons on the fascia produces nothing. If I then turn off the 4308, turn off the 3910, turn the 3910 back on, then all functions are restored?

Can't quite understand how the sky and Toshiba kit work fine with no problems yet the Denon DVD won't work with the Denon Amp. The 3910 was previously linked to a Denon 3805 amp via digital coax, has this something to do with it? I'm a bit at a loss as it seems the Denon 3910 manual went "missing" during the divorce!

HELP!

Thanks

Camdxr

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Just downloaded 82 pages of 3910 manual hopefully the answer lies deep within that huge book!

Notice from your sig you have walnut MA Silver kit too and a "Bespoke" kit rack, any chance of a picture of your av rack as this is a route I would like to go down. Unfortunately all of my kit is currently sat on two curry's specials and the 4308 has only 2-3cm of clearance above it and my HD-DVD sits on the shelf above it. I'm sure I'm experiencing a decrease in picture quality after about 30 mins of use, would this be down to overheating? It affects the SKy HD too which is sat 18 inches above the amp. As all the kit is routed through the amp via HDMI do you think that it is overheating and if so would a by product of that be the depreciation of picture quality I'm seeing?

Many thanks

Camdxr

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'll take a couple of snaps tonight and post them for you. The rack is slightly lighter in colour than than the MA walnut but it's 100% solid walnut and made to measure with lots of air around the boxes. I don't imagine your equipment is deteriorating after half an hour due to heat but it is good to let them breath a bit. The shelves on my rack look like they are only 1cm tall enough to fit some of the equipment but when you look from the side you can see there is plenty of room and it's open at the back and sides so overheating should never be a problem. Back to your dvd player - have you thought about linking it to the receiver using Denon Link? I don't know anything about it just that both your boxes are compatible.

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that, I look forward to seeing those pics.

I think the Denon link is just for audio, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. If anyone on here knows please post away.

Cheers

Camdxr

camdxr

Mar 7, 2008
Visit site
Looking good! Nice set up you've got there.

Was the av rack to your own spec? I see what you mean about the colour, it could just be the photo but it looks considerably lighter than my walnut RS8's.

How much did the rack set you back and if it was built to order did you have to wait long? Do these racks offer the same sort of performance improvements of other racks?

Sorry loads of questions!

When I've got mine all rigged up I'll post a picture or two.

Cheers

Camdxr

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I gave all the information that I could think of to the guy and he emailed me a 3D version of my description. I suppose the colour is that this is real solid walnut and the RS6s are not. It doesn't look bad though as all my boxes are black and it sort of blends. The alternative is to choose a different wood or ask them to stain it a darker colour. The price was £430 and it includes spiked feet and pads for all your boxes. It took about 4 weeks but this was over the Christmas period so I would say 3 weeks normally. The performance improvement is obviously hard to equate. The rack is solid, very heavy, and level with lots of breathing space for my equipment - therefore, I guess it's going to give you the best performance your kit has to offer.

A

Anonymous

I'd like to help, but I am suffering a similar problem. My 3910 was fine on CD, DVD-A, SACD, but then I tried a DVD video using HDMI to my Epson TW2000 and it froze just as you describe. Further more even after unplugging the cable the Epson carried on flashing intermittent pictures until I exited HDMI and went to S-Video. It is as if the HDMI software is corrupted and was sending wrong signals both internally and externally. All very odd. Have you got anywhere?

djbcag

A

Anonymous

It sounds like a common problem throughout the electronics industry at the moment,their is a problem known as the digital handshake between the dvd player and whatever you have it connected to.If i was you i would contact Denon or a local Denon dealer, to see if their is an update for your dvd player,this problem is very common with home cinema installers, but you never seem to hear much about it in magazines which surprises me. Ron1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts