admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I've been drooling over the 40-42" supertest in the latest issue, but I have a problem: Girlfriend thinks 42" is too big, I think 32" is too small. At the very outside I might(!) get away with 40", but given that this appears to be the exclusive territory of Sony/Samsung LCDs, I'm wondering whether 37" might offer a better choice. I notice Panasonic do a highly-reviewed 37" version of the PX70, although the native resolution is rather low. I appreciate that it's the picture not the pixels that matter, but I don't want to reduce the value of purchasing SkyHD etc. Anyone any recommendations? I'm not in a rush, so any suggestions of eagerly-awaited unreleased models are also welcome... thanks all.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We'll say it before and we'll say it again: performance, not pixels, is what matters - plus with a 37in set, the difference between Full HD and HD Ready is pretty much indistinguishable. The Pana 37LXD70 is the best 37in set out there, whatever you feed it - and yes, we have compared it with Full HD 37inchers....

A

Anonymous

Right, that's me told then!

I can't seem to find the 37LXD70 on Pana's website though - is that the group designation for the 37P X/Z 70/700's?

And where can I find a copy of your review of it?

Thanks muchly!

A

Anonymous

Sorry, my bad. I see now - the LXD is the LCD range, and the PX is the Plasma range. Although, I don't see a Panasonic 37" LCD anywhere? Even a Google search only turns up 2 hits - one of which is on this forum, and the other is not in English. Could you point me in the right direction please?

Update: Never mind, your reply in the "LCD vs Plasma - Panasonic adds a new slant" thread has answered my question. Thanks.

SouthaK

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
DJ, it is an interesting quandry you have, and I had exactly the same one.

We had initially decided on a 32" LCD but after seeing them in the shops we thought they were two small for our 4m living room so went for the TH37PX70. However after getting it back home and seeing it in situ we found it was too big! Doh! Luckily John Lewis agreed to take it back and we have the 32" LCD on order.

In terms of performance the TH37 was an excellent TV, and I dont think that you would under-value SKY HD by using it with this particular TV. I dont think the performance would let you down and your girlfriend would be happy with the size (as it were).

A

Anonymous

Well we have a 32" CRT currently, and I would like something bigger. I'm going to measure up and check the sizing guide on this site, and will look to audition both TVs in due course. Thanks for the advice.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Take the size guide with a pinch of salt as I have a 50"" Plasma and going by the chart the biggest I should hve for my size room is upto 37"" which would look to small, especially for movies.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
...... The Pana 37LXD70 is the best 37in set out there, whatever you feed it - and yes, we have compared it with Full HD 37inchers....

[/quote]

Is the Pana the 'best' 37" out there or just the 'best' that you've been able to test?

Have you compared it against the Loewe Spheros R37 Full HD?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We're talking to Loewe at the moment re featuring the brand-new Spheros in our "Temptations" section - at £3000+ for a 37in set, it sits happier in this aspirational/luxury section of the mag than in a Supertest of real-world sets.

We will, of course, compare it to the Pana and other rivals when we test it, but it's going to need to be by far the best screen we've ever seen - better than the Pioneer Kuros, let alone the Panasonic Vieras - to justify that price tag.

If you can afford it, you may want to wait for the test - as far as I know, no-one else has had a detailed look at the new, Full HD model, either.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Clare.

Do you have any idea as to when you're likely to do the "Temptations" Supertest? I'm under no illusion that the Loewe is an expensive set and frankly I cannot see any TV beating a Pioneer at the moment no matter the cost.

However I'm keen for someone to give it the once over to see if those twin digital tuners and twin HD satellite tuners combined with the 160Gb HDD all running on the full 1080p image+ screen is worth a sniff.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts