3005Se vs Kef iQ5se vs MA BR5 vs B&W 685

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im looking for a new surround sound package for roughly 1k

Looks arent an issue and sound quality for both music and films is the most important.

Ive been looking at 4 packages to pair with an Onkyo 705 and im hoping someone could recommend the best speakers to do the job

The packages ive looked at are:

Kef 3005Se
Kef IQ5Se based package
MA BR5 based package
B&W 685 based package

Suggestions very much appreciated

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Have auditioned the KEF vs the B&W packages and my thoughts were the B&Ws gave a much better performance for movies. This was the most crucial for me and led me to get them. Musically, I think they're excellent too, but I didn't compare music at the auditions so can't say which is better there.

A

Anonymous

hi,

which Kef package did you audition was it the 3005 or the iq5?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Traditional-style speakers - unless they're truly woeful - will beat style designs every time for performance-per-pound. Bigger boxes = bigger sound and better value (and typically much better for music). It's why we have two separate categories in our Awards and Buyer's Guide.

If you need smaller, more stylish speakers (which you don't, it seems), the KEF 3005SEs are superb, but either the Monitor Audio or B&W packages would offer more for your money.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Makes sense.

In Regards to a B&W package im thinking

686 fronts, 685 rears and torn between the m62 and m61. is there much difference between these?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Assume you mean 685 fronts and 686 rears? If so, this is a great combination. I would have gone for this, but I was limited in space on my rears, hence had to go with the M1s (which is why I looked at the 3005SEs in the first place). On the centre, I had to go for the HTM62, again because of space limitations. However, if you can, I would go for the HTM61.

A

Anonymous

What stands would you recommend for the fronts? and what height? about 20"?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]Soundstyle Z2s are perfect. Height depends - needs to be round about ear level.[/quote]

I'd disagree re stands - yes, the Soundstyles are excellent, but thes B&W 685s thrive on heftier stands. We'd strongly suggest the likes of Partington Dreadnought or well-weighted Atacama Aurora 6 stands.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts