3 x Marantz M-CR610 delevoped same fault in past 24 hours

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Highwayman

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
The fact that it works beyong 10 seconds if the internet is disconnected suggests that the player is doing some sort of validation handshake with a server. It would be reasonable for the player to default to successful if no connection to the internet was possible (so the media player wasn't hobbled) but if the handshake was established with this mysterious server it seems that the validation is now failing. I do hope the suggestion that Marantz is collecting information about our music tastes doesn't turn out to be true!

It is an interesting development though. i wonder if Marantz will ever tell us what is actually happening.

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
splasher said:
I can't vouch for the Android app simply because I haven't used it, but the Technics App (designed for the new Technics kit) for iOS worked brilliantly with my Marantz streamers allowing queues to be built etc. Well worth a try.

I just tried the technics app on my android tablet and as expected it could not find my Marantz player as presumably it is designed only to work for Technics devices. It did find the music on my NAS though and it certainly looks better designed and more intuitive than the Marantz version.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
JZC said:
It did find the music on my NAS though and it certainly looks better designed and more intuitive than the Marantz version.

It has some bespoke Technics features but at heart it is a generic uPnP control app.

It may be different from the the iOS version, but if it's the same, you don't look for your player down the left hand side, but rather at the top. On the ios app, there is a button on the top left that looks like faders and next to it is one that looks like speakers with a triangle below. Start up your player and let it connect to the network, select your NAS from the left hand side so you can see your music, press the speaker with triangle button and your device should be there. Add stuff to the playlist and you're away.

Trust me, it does work and it's worth persevering. I've used it with NA7004, MCR-603 and Denon AVR-1713.

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Highwayman said:
The Denon app might work though as it is basically the same company as Marantz

Downloaded the Denon app and it does provide some functionality and looks promising but I found the following problems.

It asks me to enter the IP address of my device but when I enter it it says the device is unsupported but then goes on to display it anyway.

It defaults to 'Select Music Server' and I cannot find any option to select any other function.

I disconnected the router from the internet, selected 'Diskstation' under Music Server and it found folders etc on my NAS and I could select and play a track. I then reconnected the internet but but once the track had finished it re-initialised the server and it then of course only plays the first 10 seconds again! during re-initialisation of the server the app reverts to the home screen and asks me to select a device again.

The listing of files on the server is quite good except it usually displays the album and artist on the second line (sometimes also the folder) but does not display the title in the first line for most of the tracks.

The problems with the proper Marantz app have been known for a long time and Marantz should have been able to provide a functional app by now.

s4tch

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
i use bubbleupnp. it does everything i need: handles local dlna servers, connects the player to tidal, or with an xposed module, it streams everything to my mcr610, including web radios, youtube sound streams, you name it.

as for the 10-second issue: i also contacted marantz's tech support, and they assured me they are working on a solution. that said, they provided no eta for the solution, no information about the nature of the issue. it's frustrating having my music collection at my fingertips and not being able to play it.

btw i'm pretty sure that's not a firmware related issue, as the problem only persists when the player is online. so i will try to capture the packets going towards the internet with wireshark in order to find out what ip's to filter in my firewall.

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
splasher said:
JZC said:
It did find the music on my NAS though and it certainly looks better designed and more intuitive than the Marantz version.

It has some bespoke Technics features but at heart it is a generic uPnP control app.

It may be different from the the iOS version, but if it's the same, you don't look for your player down the left hand side, but rather at the top. On the ios app, there is a button on the top left that looks like faders and next to it is one that looks like speakers with a triangle below. Start up your player and let it connect to the network, select your NAS from the left hand side so you can see your music, press the speaker with triangle button and your device should be there. Add stuff to the playlist and you're away.

Trust me, it does work and it's worth persevering. I've used it with NA7004, MCR-603 and Denon AVR-1713.

Thanks for that its able to select tracks from my NAS quite well now. I can't find any option to select other functions of course like internet radio or other inputs but it's still worthwhile just for the music server function.

Perhaps I spoke too soon as it played two tracks that I selected but as I was writing this the music server re-initialised, this may not have been caused by the app but may be related to the current issues with the Marantz firmware. I'll try it again if and when Marantz fix it.

I'm getting quite a bit of exercise though getting up to disconnect the internet, re-initalise the music server and the re-connect the internet again, listening to music has never been so exhausting!

junkt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I've always been bitterly dissapointed with the marantz remote app but have tried the denon, technics, AVr & various others. None are brilliant.

The Technics one above works but I've just discovered the Marantz Hifi remote app (different to the Marantz remote app) & its much much better. No idea if its new or if its just me thats discovered it but its much sleeker, easier to navigate & feels like its fit for purpose.

Its this one - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.MarantzHiFiRemote&hl=en_GB

Worht giving it a go

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I tried installing the 'Marantz Hi-Fi Remote app and the first screen asked me to change models but does not list any compatible models (or incompatible ones either). I can add an IP address but when I enter this it says the device is not supported and then the NA7004 re-initialises the music server again. I'm not sure if the IP address I entered is a DHCP or a static one, only the latter appears to be valid.

Going back to disconnect the internet again now :-(

Edit: I don't think the re-initialisation of the music server is anything to do with me trying the various remote apps as it's been playing okay for a few minutes and then decided to re-initialise without me doing anything.

s4tch

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
i created an easily switchable rule in my router which will deny my 610 to access the internet. still waiting for a more elegant solution from marantz though.

s4tch

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
unfortunately it does. i wasn't able to identify the server(s) the player tries to connect to when playing from a dlna source, so i opted for total denial of internet access. it's not elegant by any means, but it works. i'll just disable the rule in 20 sec when i'm about to listen to an internet radio.

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Please let us know if your connection is stable, I got mine working by temporarily disconnecting the internet but the Music Server spontaneously re-initialised on my NA7004 after a few minutes so I was back to square one.

I've now decided it's best to access my NAS from my smart TV and play it through my HiFi until Marantz can resolve the problem.

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've also stopped my MCR603 connecting to the Internet using a firewall rule and not only has it sorted the 10 second issue, it's also transformed the operation. It connects to the network in a fraction of the time and browsing the album or track list is quick and fluid with no hesitation.

Of course the downside is no internet radios but I usually listen to radios 1, 2, 4 and 6 which as a result of the BBCs changes are all 128kbps streams now so listening on DAB instead isn't the end of the world.

Assuming Marantz fix the problem, I might reconnect just to get the firmware, and then disconnect again as it seems a better machine and it will prevent any future firmware from breaking it again.

s4tch

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
it was all perfectly fine last night. i listened to some albums from the nas without an issue.

btw did you guys check your players today? i re-enabled internet connection this morning, listened to a local web radio for an hour, then switched to the nas, and now it's playing the 6th song without being interrupted. how about you? did marantz do their homework?

RogerJP

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I had just set up the router to deny the MCR610 internet access when I read s4tch's post above. Put the settings back to normal and am now half way through the second track wthout any of the problems experienced over the last couple of days. Looks like the problem is fixed. However the responsiveness of the unit seems slower when changing sources.

Anyone any idea what has been changed ?

Jon78

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I will check when I get in from work later.

Assuming Marantz do get this sorted what are the implications of switching off the firmware updates moving forward (once this is corrected)? I'm always a bit cynical about software updates anyway so if I stop updates or disconnect it from the internet* completely what am I going to miss out on?

*Until this week I used internet radio for podcasts (can't do this now) and have now found that Test Match Special isn't available either(!).

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Same here. Listened to a whole album this morning on the NAS without interuption. Will check again later tonight when I get in. I would really like to know what this is (maybe was) about. Not really happy just to have it 'fixed' without any explanation. I have a feeling it may perhaps be related to borked streaming services and IP multicast. Don't know how though.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
http://marantz-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3986/kw/10%20seconds

In the time from the 18th to the 20th of August, selected Denon units stopped playback during USB, favorite and media server playback after 10 seconds. This occurred due to an erroneous response to a standardised server request. We fixed this issue in the morning of the 21st August and you should once again be able to fully enjoy music from all network sources. We apologise for any inconvenience this caused to you

Not exactlty verbose is it? I'd like to know a little more myself. Could this happen again. Are the units at the mercy of an external server functioning correctly? Etc.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Well at least they've fixed it!
regular_smile.gif

Highwayman

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
That is excellent news. I am looking forward to trying tonight.

I'm still curious what it is going to a server for but we may never find out.

Thanks everyone, I enjoyed the chat.

An interesting thread, and this hardly makes reassuring reading. Delighted for users that it is now fixed.

Also explains why CDs are far from dead, not to mention the resurgence of the LP. Mechanical media are not always superseded. Now, where are those cassettes?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts