3 x Marantz M-CR610 delevoped same fault in past 24 hours

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I've received a bit more feedback on this issue from our Marantz UK contact:

http://marantz-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3986
"For a little more background, I spoke to D&M Europe and UK Product Support. As I understand it, the problem related to the server handling the Last FM Audioscrobbler service. Even though the subscription service for Last FM was stopped on the relevant D&M products (Marantz Melody Media M-CR610, original Denon Ceol RCD-N8, Piccolo etc) around two years ago, the software to access Last FM is still installed on the products (there is a long-term plan to delete it model-by-model by firmware updates - details and dates are TBC). Whereas these models had Last FM built-in, the new models do not. Of course, users can still access Last FM services from their mobile devices. As you know, the same models also had Spotify built-in whereas the new models use Spotify Connect instead."

Highwayman

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
That is also interesting. having been in commercial IT for too many years to mention, I am continually confronted by issues around legacy systems. it seems that the world where firmware meets hardware in the domestic market is about to find out that moving on to new technology is a bit harder when you have old technology out in the field.

I expect we will see a lot more of this as organisations feel they no longer want to invest/support old platforms.

I for one will not be very happy if my hifi becomes technically and practically obsolete in 3 years because the firmware is no longer functioning.

Where is my valve amp ;)

Kevin25

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Without realising the response from Marantz, I have tried again to see if the 610 is playing music from my WDMyCloud correctly and, lo and behold, it seems to be functioning without a hitch (so far). Any and all tracks stored on the server are playing all the way through and it is ten progressing onto the next track. Now I just need to set up a decent aerial for the DAB.

It was obviously something about the 18th of August!

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
My turntable is still on its original firmware after all these years!

Strange that when you ask a Marantz streamer to play from within your network (like USB or NAS) that it still looks to the internet as evidenced by the workaround being to disconnect it from the internet. The experience has also shown me that my old 603 responds much better to commands and scrolls quickly and smoothly without an internet connection whereas it's clunky with one so even though it's fixed, I will probably leave it disconnected.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like that when these devices start up they go and look at a server to get themselves ready for whatever you want to do rather than wait for you to decide and then look. This may be a sensible approach, you'd need to understand all the options to decide.

It does make me wary of streamers and as I am still happy with CDs I won't be rushing to buy one.

Chris

Stu4rt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Good that things are working again and thanks for posting the inside line Andy. But, this still raises some questions, like what has me streaming music files from a locally attached NAS got to do with Last.FM? What is really going on when connecting to the internet when streaming from my NAS? But yes it's working for now and lets hope Marantz make good on the plan to revise the firmware which I would expect to be more robust should anything like this happen in the future.

On the bright side at an earlier posters suggestion I've tried the Marantz Hi-Fi app this morning and so far it is much better than the original Marantz Remote app. Between that and BubbleUPnP I think I can do all I need.

JZC

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I can confirm my Marantz NA7004 music server appears to be functioning again so thanks to Marantz for being able to fix it in a relatively short time. At least we were able to share the experience on this forum, many others will be unaware what the problem was and how and when it was resolved.

Nice to 'talk' to you all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts