I own an old Goodmans turntable that has served me well in the last 25+ years, although is now starting to sound rather thin.

So I am now looking for a replacement, but, having come into possesion of some 78's (from my parents) I'm now looking for a 3 speed turntable that sounds good with all types of record.

My old Goodmans turntable was a basic 'plug and play' model and I don't fully understand the intricacies of setting up a turntable.

I'm throwing this open to you forum users for some advice.

Can anyone help?

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
And don't forget that you'll need to be able to replace the cartridge, or in some cases just the stylus, to play 78s. This may have a bearing on which TT you choose.

D

Deleted member 108165

Darren Jones said:
I own an old Goodmans turntable that has served me well in the last 25+ years, although is now starting to sound rather thin.

So I am now looking for a replacement, but, having come into possesion of some 78's (from my parents) I'm now looking for a 3 speed turntable that sounds good with all types of record.

My old Goodmans turntable was a basic 'plug and play' model and I don't fully understand the intricacies of setting up a turntable.

I'm throwing this open to you forum users for some advice.

Can anyone help?

See this thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/turntable-cyrus

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would (and did) buy an antique acoustic gramophone player - listen to those 78s as god intended! I don't think it's worth playing 78s on a hi-fi system - the audio quality of the discs is unlikely to be that amazing, particularly earlier shellacs, and they sound fanstatic blasted through an acoustic horn with no electric amplification. Plus those old gramophones can look lovely.

alchemist 1 said:
Clearaudio Concept, plug in and play 45, 33 and 78

It might play at all speeds but not optimally when it comes to 78's unfortunately. There vis no way you can get the best out of mono 78's without a dedicated cartridge vat the very least. Yes the setup will play them but that's about all.

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The pathway I took when I inherited my dad's 78 is the kendo Gl75. You get the 3 speeds plus the option of changeable headshellls and the stock cartridge shure that came with many of the 75's you can still get replaceable stylus on eBay that are for 78's for a few quid and they sound fine. I also bought the rek o cut reequaliser to alter the equalisation settings but this is not crucial. I think the lenco is a good value mid price option for 78's plus it is a cracking turntable for vinyl too.

entrails said:
The pathway I took when I inherited my dad's 78 is the kendo Gl75. You get the 3 speeds plus the option of changeable headshellls and the stock cartridge shure that came with many of the 75's you can still get replaceable stylus on eBay that are for 78's for a few quid and they sound fine. I also bought the rek o cut reequaliser to alter the equalisation settings but this is not crucial. I think the lenco is a good value mid price option for 78's plus it is a cracking turntable for vinyl too.

I am not aware of this turntable but it appears to cover all bases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts