3.1 Hi-Fi Sound; How do I achieve it?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Thompsonuxb said:
or using 2.1 systems plugged into their t.v.'s and using the tv speakers as a 'centre' speaker.

really ?

Yep, done it myself the tv was connected to a set top box with audio out 3mm Jack connected by scart to the tv.

Then a 2.1 system - like the ones you get for your pc Dell, Logitech etc is plugged in.

The satellite speakers are spread the sub placed out of site and hey presto superior sound to the standard weedy sound you'll get from a modern flat screen tv.

If you have a tv with audio out and use an amp you may need to tinker with the delay.

But it works very effectively.

Stereo integrity intact.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Oh man....

People use various methods to enhance their listening....

From having your stereo speakers on whilst listening through earphones or using 2.1 systems plugged into their t.v.'s and using the tv speakers as a 'centre' speaker.

Popular with portable tv bedroom set ups using a DVD player to play 'stereo' disks.

You have such modes as virtual surround a popular technic when using sound bars or only have a pair of speakers- the list goes on

Many are happy with the results of these bodgies.....it's music they're listening to.

You're right to give up, you have no point to make and you know it..... :ROFL:

Do tell me which of those 7 lines has any bearing on this discussion. Must admit they are funny but I guess you (like me) have heard a friends system set up with an AV amp runs with the TV sound on. I could go on but you clearly have no grasp of the problem. All your ideas will give sound - I'll give you that - but any fidelity is out of the window.

Now stop pulling our legs :)

Loving the banter tho.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Thompsonuxb said:
Oh man....

People use various methods to enhance their listening....

From having your stereo speakers on whilst listening through earphones or using 2.1 systems plugged into their t.v.'s and using the tv speakers as a 'centre' speaker.

Popular with portable tv bedroom set ups using a DVD player to play 'stereo' disks.

You have such modes as virtual surround a popular technic when using sound bars or only have a pair of speakers- the list goes on

Many are happy with the results of these bodgies.....it's music they're listening to.

You're right to give up, you have no point to make and you know it..... :ROFL:

Do tell me which of those 7 lines has any bearing on this discussion. Must admit they are funny but I guess you (like me) have heard a friends system set up with an AV amp runs with the TV sound on.  I could go on but you clearly have no grasp of the problem. All your ideas will give sound - I'll give you that - but any fidelity is out of the window.?

Now stop pulling our legs :)

Loving the banter tho.

Robin, step back from your losing position and look at this objectively...... :)

It's all about options.

The OP has a querie and outlines his way forward to improve his current set up.

Spiny Norman offered him some good advice and presents him with practical solutions.

You and Steve1979 come with your 'it'll never work, why when I was a lad.....' arguments.

If he adds a centre speaker and an AVamp the OP will simply be expanding his system which will give him the options to tinker - he may well find a solution that improves his listening experience.

He still has the option to revert back to his current set up.

Regards it's recorded in 2.0 so should only be played back in 2.0 .....prrrrft!

Some people prefer to listen to their music in 5.1 'downmixed' some will actually use their DSP modes too. Some in 3.1.

Bottom line there is no hard rule on what suits an individual when it comes to listening to music, your taste is your own.

Not sure what's been argued now , I really don't.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
A question for an audio electronics forumite please.

If I did use a splitter from left and right channels to another centre speaker would it not be electrically inadviseable? It would (surely) put both amplifiers in paralllel (bad idea?) and the impedance would be 'halved'. (In parallel). Not sure what signal the centre would receive but at best a mono 'combination' of L & R signals which at best would significantly reduce the width of the soundstage and probably ruin the frequency output with phase and interference.

Merely a request for clarification rather than opinion.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
richardw42 said:
Thompsonuxb said:
or using 2.1 systems plugged into their t.v.'s and using the tv speakers as a 'centre' speaker.

really ?

Yep, done it myself the tv was connected to a set top box with audio out 3mm Jack connected by scart to the tv.

Then a 2.1 system - like the ones you get for your pc Dell, Logitech etc is plugged in.

The satellite speakers are spread the sub placed out of site and hey presto superior sound to the standard weedy sound you'll get from a modern flat screen tv.

If you have a tv with audio out and use an amp you may need to tinker with the delay.

Stereo integrity intact.

i agree it can boost the sound and be pretty good. I've done similar in the past, but it does not make the TV a center

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
"Not sure what's been argued now , I really don't." - That must be one of the few of your comments that I agree with - it would explain many of your replies which have no relevance.

HINT - this is savour 2ch music - not TV, soundbars, earphones or DVD.

I match your "Prrrrft" and raise you a Prrrrrrrrrft. :)

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Thompsonuxb said:
richardw42 said:
Thompsonuxb said:

really ?

Stereo integrity intact.

i agree it can boost the sound and be pretty good. I've done similar in the past, but it does not make the TV a center

I use 'centre' ....

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
"Not sure what's been argued now , I really don't." - That must be one of the few of your comments that I agree with - it would explain many of your replies which have no relevance.

?

HINT - this is savour 2ch music - not TV, soundbars, earphones or DVD.

I match your "Prrrrft" and raise you a Prrrrrrrrrft. :)

Honestly?

Ok

Undesirable

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Well guys, I'm going to hold off buying a centre speaker, because it seems too tricky to implement and there are a lot of conflicting opinions. I would like to do something to add more to the sound with the limited room available to me, but I've only got a narrow strip of space (51cm width, 23cm depth) on the shelf between my main speakers, so even those Chane middle speakers that I was talking about are out of the equation. Can't say I'm too thrilled about the idea of purchasing an A/V amp only to find out that it not only destroys the audiophile sound quality, but also the stereo sound field. The Meridian sound processor seems a little out of my budget too.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
What do you want to improve in your setup? Not loud enough? Not crisp and detailed? Not imaging well? Stage colapsed? You need to know what you want to achieve, otherwise a pointless excercise that will cost you money. If we are just having a chat about 3.1, thats nice too.

Adding center speaker to reinforce stereo phantom image is a good idea when you are limited with options to move your sitting position or speakers forward and back + tilting them to form an even sided triangle.

20ha6w2.jpg

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Undesirable said:
Well guys, I'm going to hold off buying a centre speaker, because it seems too tricky to implement and there are a lot of conflicting opinions. I would like to do something to add more to the sound with the limited room available to me, but I've only got a narrow strip of space (51cm width, 23cm depth) on the shelf between my main speakers, so even those Chane middle speakers that I was talking about are out of the equation. Can't say I'm too thrilled about the idea of purchasing an A/V amp only to find out that it not only destroys the audiophile sound quality, but also the stereo sound field. The Meridian sound processor seems a little out of my budget too.

Lol.....After all this.

Googled your amp, it's a nice unit.

Only other suggestion I can think of given your limited space is play with the angle of your toe in.

(don't be afraid to invert your speakers - try them upsidedown or even on their sides in both directions ie tweeter in and tweeter out)

Also try the speakers isolated. Some jenga blocks under them to seperate them from the desk.

Just to add a 'decent' AVamp will more than match many a 'audiophile budget amp'.

But in your case may well be unnecessary.

Anyhoo, good luck.

Let us know if you find a solution..... :)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Also try the speakers isolated. Some jenga blocks under them to seperate them from the desk.

Just to add a 'decent' AVamp will more than match many a 'audiophile budget amp'.

If you had added blutac to your jenga then I'd be with you.

I do find the second statement misleading. 'Decent' and 'budget's are really subjective. Certainly at any particular price point I would suggest for a similar 'quality of sound' you would need to double your budget. Clearly ball-park and there will be good and bad value products but I imagine this would be a more useful yardstick for someone to work with.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Thompsonuxb said:

If you had added blutac to your jenga then I'd be with you.

I do find the second statement misleading. 'Decent' and 'budget's are really subjective. Certainly at any particular price point I would suggest for a similar 'quality of sound' you would need to double your budget. Clearly ball-park and there will be good and bad value products but I imagine this would be a more useful yardstick for someone to work with.

It depends how stable the shelf is and how loud he plays.

The jenga blocks will hold but using blutac is fine.

Subjective.....hmmm. I was going on the kit he owns and my own experience is all so fair enough.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts