2nd hand 640A vs Rotel RA-04

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Bearing in mind this will be my first separates setup and both will be a massive improvement from my current PC audio (logitech z560), does it really matter if i go for a 640A or a ra-04 second hand?

Im looking to get either 2nd hand to go with some tannoy custom f1's, and while i have found several 640A's floating around second hand, ive only seen 2 rotel ra-04's and they've sold for not much less than retail, it seems i could get the 640a a bit cheaper.

So, is the 640A significantly worse than the ra-04? Will it pair ok with the tannoys? And does it matter too much if its V1 or V2?

I thought abotu the 540A but im really put off by its "fussyness" as this will make a speaker upgrade in the future more difficult.

Thanks

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Personally if you're going for a 2nd hand amp id check out Ebay and go for one of the Arcam Alpha 8 or 9 amps that seem to be selling around the £130 to £180 mark.

I've auditioned the Rotel with my system and i didnt like it compared to my Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp. The Arcam is smoother, more refined but gives great clarity in the midrange and great bass.

It also depends on what music you listen too and what source you'll be using for music (PC or CD player). Also, what speakers do you have?

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion, im looking for some bookshelf speakers probably tannoy custom f1's. I'll be listening to music from my pc and x-fi xtreme music (which i'll swap from a squeezebox at some point in the future). My music is generally 256k mp3's but im about 20% into my project of converting the music to FLAC lossless.

I listen to all kinds of music, the majority is rock tho.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
In your case i'd be going for some decent 2nd hand B&W's

I listen to quite a lot of Rock & Metal music too as well as Pink Floyd to Underworld and believe me, theyre better then MA BR2s and Tannoy F1's - Auditioned both against my B&W's and neither could keep up with the B&W's. But that is my opinion.

Let us know how you get on

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
The B&W 602 S2's or B&W 602 S3's would be my first choice. The 601 S3's could be a good choice too but won't have the same depth as the first 2 sets a the 601's are smaller.

All very good sounding speakers. Look the business too on good stands.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I am going to disagree here. I personally think the Tannoy F1 are definately suitable for metal. I sold my Rotel system to my parents and they acquired some Tannoy F1's and I must say the sound is amazing. For such a small speaker the sound is huge and most imprtantly imaging and detail is there too. To be honest there is not much difference between them and my B&W 705 speakers coupled with my Linn setup.

I would buy the Tannoys without a shadow of a doubt. And I would buy a Rotel amp. I have heard this combination and it is awesome for such little spend.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I am going to disagree here. I personally think the Tannoy F1 are definately suitable for metal. I sold my Rotel system to my parents and they acquired some Tannoy F1's and I must say the sound is amazing. For such a small speaker the sound is huge and most imprtantly imaging and detail is there too. To be honest there is not much difference between them and my B&W 705 speakers coupled with my Linn setup.

I would buy the Tannoys without a shadow of a doubt. And I would buy a Rotel amp. I have heard this combination and it is awesome for such little spend.
Plus

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts