24fps ....un-natural.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
It just happens to be my all time fav too..... it really looks good?
Definitely. The same goes for the new Halloween release, and the US release of The Fog (region locked though).

This was the trap I was hoping not to fall into, re-buying my DVD collection.....
It is quite easy to get carried away. Just replace the movies you rewatch the most, or those that are more important to you.

Well, I'll definately not buy Blade Runner - John Carpenter and Ridgly Scott are like my movie Kryptonite.
?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
O.k a few weeks have passed by and I have invested in a few 'new' movies - Star Trek into darkness being my xmas present.

This film has a very very good picture, seriously impressive (the opening scene justifys the cost of the disc although the DVD I suspect will be not too far off the bd, the 1st film was pretty impressive ) but again the 24fps is unnatural looking and inconsistant in terms of smoothness of motion. it works better at 60hz/60fps (don't we see the real world at 60fps).

I really want to know if this 24fps thing is like the 'emperors new cloths' - I have tinkered till I no longer feel to tinker and have the picture just so, its just this one issue & yes I have turned it off.

While they are a different medium I do know games look alot smoother at 50/60fps against 25/30fps ( and why 24fps anyway?)

anybody else see this?

I think what you're noticing is what's described in AV forums review of your TV:

"One thing we were surprised at, and mentioned earlier, is that the ultra-fast panel response present in the IPS-Alpha panels wasn’t really shining through in terms of motion performance; with high speed action the WT50 did exhibit quite a bit of blur and it was only with IFC on its Mid setting that we were able to mostly rid ourselves on it."

Perhaps forcing it to higher frame rate is compensating this limitation.

With regards to 24fps vs higher frame rates, the logic is simple: if the film is shot at 24fps, it's best watched in 24fps. Higher frame rates will force the TV to guess the frames in between, and this artificial processing will produce artefacts.

Peter Jackson has experimented with 48fps for The Hobbit, and not many people liked it. Check The Hobbit at 48fps out yourself & see what you think.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
O.k a few weeks have passed by and I have invested in a few 'new' movies - Star Trek into darkness being my xmas present.

This film has a very very good picture, seriously impressive (the opening scene justifys the cost of the disc although the DVD I suspect will be not too far off the bd, the 1st film was pretty impressive ) but again the 24fps is unnatural looking and inconsistant in terms of smoothness of motion. it works better at 60hz/60fps (don't we see the real world at 60fps).

I really want to know if this 24fps thing is like the 'emperors new cloths' - I have tinkered till I no longer feel to tinker and have the picture just so, its just this one issue & yes I have turned it off.

While they are a different medium I do know games look alot smoother at 50/60fps against 25/30fps ( and why 24fps anyway?)

anybody else see this?

In a word...no.

Not quite sure how you could define a standard which was agreed upon in 1926 as the preferred frame rate for cinema as the 'Emperor's New Clothes' !? All features since then have been presented at this agreed worldwide standard of 24fps (and apart from some special effects or super smooth slow motion shots, they are also shot at that same frame rate). Blu ray features are also therefore presented in the same frame rate (however blu rays can also be made as 23.98p/25p/50i/29.97/59.94 to match the original frame rate of the material. For instance, most UK TV shows will be presented as either 25p or 50i. However, many american shows, although they are transmitted as 29.97/59.94, as they are often shot at 23.98p, they will therefore be presented on blu ray at 24p.

If somehow you are forcing your blu ray to play at 30 fps then you are putting yourself through a whole pile of hurt which viewers throughout the States have suffered when watching features on TV for years. Rather than a frame for frame representation of the film, what you are doing is attempting to make every four frames into 5 frames. To do this, you are experiencing what is known as 3:2 pulldown. To make those four frames into five, what happens is that the progressive image is first de-interlaced. Then certain of those fields are repeated in a predetermined order to give you five frames. So, what was four frames deinterlaced as AA,BB,CC,DD becomes AA,BB,BC,CD,DD. As you can see, only frames 1,2 and 5 are as they were originally and frames three and four have now become a mix of the fields from the frames either side. We never experience this on our broadcast television in the UK (although, the number of commercials which are now shown having been frame converted from 24 - 25 by the simple process of repeating one frame every 24 to make 25 frames per second has increased massively - it's a cheap file format conversion option done on an Avid). But, that 3:2 pulldown will be far jerkier than any slight motion jerkiness on a native 24 frame film - especially as a good DOP will know the sorts of speeds which do not work when you are doing pans or tilts and will avoid them if at all possible.

There is no way that a DVD of that film will look anywhere as near as good as the Blu ray. Firstly, it will be running at the wrong speed (all 'PAL' standard DVDs run at 25 fps so it will be running 5% faster). Also the resolution will be massively reduced. The DVD will have been made from a downconvert of either the 2K Film File or more likely a 1920x1080 HDCamSR master tape. Considering that the SD frame size is 720x576, you can see how much data has been 'removed' - adding it back using clever algorithms is never going to match the native frame size of the blu ray.

We don't see the world in any frame rate (unless you wander round blinking your eyes 24/25/30 times a second!) and there is no such frame rate as 60fps for TV or features, only in game software. However, even that can be a misnomer as it often simply refers to the refresh rate of the image and not the number of actual new frames being generated - it's an old trick used in hand drawn animation whereby rather than drawing 24 different frames per second (which would be horrendously expensive and time consuming) you use a technique called 2-up, meaning rather than 24 seperate frames a second you only draw 12 and then show each one twice.

If you consider that the nearest rough example we have to footage running at 50 frames a second is studio shot material like Mrs Brown's Heap of Steaming Excrement or Eastenders as well as live sport, (all are shot at 50 interlaced fields a second - a single frame being made up of 2 consecutive different fields - the football slo mos are shot at much higher frame rates but are still transmitted as 50i ), then I for one will happily put up with 24p or 25p - As BB says, there are a few more alternatives for you to see, like The Desperation of Smeg if you can find it being shown somewhere at 48fps, but the test footage we saw of the Hobbit a couple of years ago at work didn't impress me that much.

Rob

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
BigBoss I'm unable to quote you...a spam filter keeps blocking me for some reason

Not being funny but that review was poor - it contradicts itself ref the performance of this tv and indicates their tests are rubbish compared to what they see in front of them. Not just saying so because I bought the TV (for alot less than the original asking price., mind you) - Its a very good tv, did a 'personal review on this forum. Motion rapid or slow is one of the WT50's strong points along with black levels and colour.......

Anyhoo, only the BDP is set to 24fps - its not blurring or judder or artifacts its more of an inconsistant speed, its as if the picture speeds up then slows back down its hard to discribe, but I've seen this on other brands of tv's (I install virgin services & see alot of tv's) its ...inconsistant, even the kids notice it. I have no facility to vary the 'frame rate' 24fps is ether on or off.

saying that, I'm now wondering if its the BD player...... :O

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Rob, I could sit and talk to you for hours.......

I will bow to your superior knowledge on this subject (mine is that of a user) -funnily enough I compared the look of Blueray to Emmerdale - but our brains deciefer what we see at a certain frequency hence the ability to induce an epileptic fit but I have no proof at this time and have no desire to find it.

but 24fps in 1926 is not what we see today, you only have to compare motion pictures from different eras to see how things have moved on with technology.....but I swear if we were in the same room....... :dance: ..... :cheers: .....:dance:

still don't think it looks right.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Paul. said:
It looks like the WT50 has non defeatable motion control added (according to cnet), so what you are seeing is not true 24fps.

Paul - I watch the TV in my own 'user' with my personal settings applied I think what you speak of only applys on certain pro settings. The TV is passive and only displays 24fps if the source is 24fps. ...Oh and that CNET review was rubbish. Looks like these pro reviewers have a thing with the WT series, maybe because it is the flagship LED thats been touted to be replacing Panasonic Plasmas, Like the AVI review it was confused and inaccurate, its a few days but was the guy reviewing the tv from a show or some thing...... strange, the AVI guy got a bit of a kicking from users though, hilarious....plasma snobs....prrrft.

saying that those reviews caused the price to be slashed off all the unsold units so I have to thank them.

Anyhoo, I think I have have found the problem - the tv was set to output an NTSC signal ( I use to play import games back in the day - Sega Saturn/ Dreamcast hence I have always set my tv to output an NTSC signal) changed the setting to output PAL60 now and there is an improvement. Watched Esylium last night and the pans over the derelict townships are much improved ( the tv even detected a 3d signal in this mode its a 2d BD never detected it set to NTSC)....some bits looked really HD ( sitill a bit indoorstudiorish but HD indoorstudiorish if you know what I mean )

Will try the Star Trek Into Darkness opening scene again - my new reference BD, to see how it fares. Once I get the TV to myself later.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts