24 bit flac

cal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Will my external hardrive plugged into my Panasonic bdt130 blu-ray players usb send the 24 bit flacs saved on it out the Blu-rays optical into my stereo amplifiers (Onkyo a9050) onboard dac so I get hi-res audio out me diamond 220s. Cheers

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I've learned something today. I downloaded the Panasonic manual from their website: curiously there wasn't an English one, so I downloaded the Spanish version. P43 of the manual does indeed indicate that the player can process 24bit/192khz FLAC files.

I used to have the older DMP-BDT310, which I'm fairly sure couldn't do this, so this is a feature that seems to have been added in recent models. The manual did indicate that it could only read a maximum of 2TB HDD.

Before you pay £15 or more for a hi-res download though, it might be worth looking for a free sample download to test it first.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
lpv said:
Check your player manual.

Nope, that would take too much common sense. And forget about Googling it myself. Much easier to keep asking the same question on the forums until someone else looks it up for me.

TrevC

ID. said:
lpv said:
Check your player manual.

Nope, that would take too much common sense. And forget about Googling it myself. Much easier to keep asking the same question on the forums until someone else looks it up for me.

The peer-reviewed Meyer-Moran study published in the Library of the Audio Engineering Society has not been 'debunked' -- no matter what some science-rejecting audio enthusiasts claim. And it very clearly shows that when a CD quality (44.1 kHz/16 bit) audio path is inserted into the playback path of DVD-A and SACD (96 kHz/24 bit), listeners cannot discern between that and the full 96/24 signal in double-blind ABX testing.

strms

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
The OP didnt ask would they be able to hear and audible difference they just wanted to know does the player support it.

Another thread derailing mission.

Please read the request before jumping in with your usual i.e "won't work", "there's no difference", "you can't hear any difference" etc. as it is getting rather frustrating to see threads shut down or derailed time and time again.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
strms said:
The OP didnt ask would they be able to hear and audible difference they just wanted to know does the player support it.

Please read the request before jumping in with your usual i.e "won't work", "there's no difference", "you can't hear any difference" etc. as it is getting rather frustrating to see threads shut down or derailed time and time again.

Perhaps the point being made is that, the player might downsample to Cd standard before passing the data onwards.

This will not have an effect on the sound quality and any superiority that the 24 bit download had over the Cd standard release will be preserved.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
strms said:

Strms,

There is so much claptrap posted on this forum, that it is refreshing to hear from someone (TrevC) who knows what he is talking about. I will grant you that this time he is a bit off-topic, but none the less the post is still correct.

What threads have been shut down?

manicm

davedotco said:
Perhaps the point being made is that, the player might downsample to Cd standard before passing the data onwards.

This will not have an effect on the sound quality and any superiority that the 24 bit download had over the Cd standard release will be preserved.

You cannot absolutely state that as fact. The OP asked a very simple answer and the derailment of the thread was juvenile to say the least. You buy a component that plays hires, you want to make sure it does, that's unreasonable?

TrevC

manicm said:
davedotco said:

You cannot absolutely state that as fact. The OP asked a very simple answer and the derailment of the thread was juvenile to say the least. You buy a component that plays hires, you want to make sure it does, that's unreasonable?

I think he bought the equipment, so hires aren't necessary.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
TrevC said:
manicm said:
davedotco said:

I think he bought the equipment, so hi-res isn't necessary.

Corrected for you. (*sigh*)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
manicm said:
davedotco said:

I'm sorry manicm, what did I say that was not factual?

I don't understand......*unknw*

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
andyjm said:
There is so much claptrap posted on this forum, that it is refreshing to hear from someone (TrevC) who knows what he is talking about.

Gawd! If The Gospel According to TrevC is the voice of reason here, then this forum's as VSF as the magazine that sustains it.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
davedotco said:

Actually, yes, he can.

There are known limits to human hearing and 16/44.1 covers them for playback duties.

Anything higher is only useful for mastering. And any claim for higher audible playback quality, outside the range of human hearing would be up to those claiming it to prove, not the reverse.

So, yes, it's a fact that what Dave has said, is true.

manicm

fr0g said:
manicm said:
davedotco said:

Actually, yes, he can.

There are known limits to human hearing and 16/44.1 covers them for playback duties.

Anything higher is only useful for mastering. And any claim for higher audible playback quality, outside the range of human hearing would be up to those claiming it to prove, not the reverse.

No he can't, here's a thread from of a hires sceptic, but as you'll read later on even he won't admit that downsampling is a good idea. You may or may not hear a difference, but the statement 'any superiority that the 24 bit download had over the Cd standard release will be preserved.' from a technical point of view is completely wrong.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
fr0g said:
manicm said:
davedotco said:

Actually, yes, he can.

No he can't, here's a thread from of a hires sceptic, but as you'll read later on even he won't admit that downsampling is a good idea. You may or may not hear a difference, but the statement 'any superiority that the 24 bit download had over the Cd standard release will be preserved.' from a technical point of view is completely wrong.

Nope. You are wrong. As usual. Go and ABX it, come back and then say sorry.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
manicm said:
fr0g said:
manicm said:
davedotco said:

Actually, yes, he can.

Hi manic.

Two things to begin with.

Nyquist Shannon proves conclusively, in mathematical terms, that a sampling rate of twice the highest frequency is sufficient to reconstruct a musical waveform precisely. That's precisely, not closely or close enough that we can't hear a difference, exactly.

Secondly the increase in bit depth can capture a signal of greater dynamic range so 24 bit processing is better but only on signals that have a dynamic range in excess of 96 dB, good luck with that. At this point it is worth pointing out that, due to the cumulative noise floor of domestic hi-fi, most budget and mid priced systems can not resolve beyond 17-18 bits anyway, often less if the environment is electronically noisy.

Furthermore.

Downsampling a hi-res file is excellent proof of this, done correctly the waveform will be identical (Nyquist Shannon again), the only difference will be a higher noise floor which will still be at the limits of measurement and way below audability.

The phrase 'any superiority that the 24 bit download had over the Cd standard release will be preserved' refers simply to the fact that some hi-res files are 'better' than their CD quality counterparts, not because they are hi-res, but because of different and superior production values.

Down sampling such files to 16/44.1 will not effect the superiority of such files one iota, in fact what you will get will be the Cd quality release that you should have had in the first place, had the record companies bothered to get the mastering right for the standard Cd release.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Irrespective of the relative merits of 24/96 vs 16/44, does anybody know what will be output out of the optical of his player when he plays a 24/96 flac file?

This is not clear. Post #3 indicates that the unit will 'process' hi-res files, but is not clear what standard the Optical output is.

The information is not in the manual, neither does it come up on any kind of Google search, the only way is to try it and try and test the output data stream in some way.

The point being made is that this is a lot of trouble for something that does not matter anyway. Any improvements due to mastering etc will still be present on the downsampled file.

manicm

Ah davedotco, so 'budget' to 'midrange' it won't make a difference, so you're being selective about your 'facts', the truth is that downsampling is truncating data, so how could that validate your statement, also if you read the link I gave the discussion goes into considerable more depth than has been the case in these forums, the Shannon theory assumes environmentally everything is 100% absolute i.e. all electronics adheres absolutely to the assumptions when in fact they do not. I'm not discussing the merits of hires, but downsampling is truncating data, and that makes your statement absolutely incorrect technically. The OP has asked a question and he hasn't received an answer yet.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
manicm said:
Ah davedotco, so 'budget' to 'midrange' it won't make a difference, so you're being selective about your 'facts', the truth is that downsampling is truncating data, so how could that validate your statement, also if you read the link I gave the discussion goes into considerable more depth than has been the case in these forums, the Shannon theory assumes environmentally everything is 100% absolute i.e. all electronics adheres absolutely to the assumptions when in fact they do not. I'm not discussing the merits of hires, but downsampling is truncating data, and that makes your statement absolutely incorrect technically. The OP has asked a question and he hasn't received an answer yet.

Hey Manicm.

The only reason I was being 'selective' was that I have actually been present when the resolution of some systems was being measured, these were systems in the $1000-5000 price range. I have also seen top range dacs measured in isolation and they were capable of around 20 bits, in isolation and under 'lab' conditions.

The realities are simply that the additional data is unnecessary in reconstructing the original waveform so I am unsure why you think it is important. If there is anything in the 200+ posts in the thread that explains this, I would be interested to read this.

The OPs question was answered in post #3, the unit 'processes' data up to 24/192 according to the manual. Short of someone technical testing the unit specifically, that is the best answer you are likely to get.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts