21st century radiogram, anyone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Now Chebby, that's not fair. PP has assured us that aesthetically it is now far, far worse now that he has the Naim CDP in place :wave:

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it's nice - simple and elegant. But I do think it has functional issues - personally I don't see how it works as a TV stand - the 2 would contrast horribly, and as a sideboard or console table surely it would be poorly positioned?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
andrew_cawood said:
I think it's nice - simple and elegant. But I do think it has functional issues - personally I don't see how it works as a TV stand...

Who said it was suppose to double as a TV stand?

Look at it again. Note the width of the CD slot on the front.

If you use that as a rough measure, then it's probably only about 6 times wider than a CD diameter.

Allowing a bit extra (because the CD slot is a tad wider than a CD) then it looks roughly 30 inches wide. It would be absolutely dwarfed by the kinds of television most discussed on these forums.

That is not a 'functional issue' if it's not supposed to be a TV stand.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
chebby said:
Allowing a bit extra (because the CD slot is a tad wider than a CD) then it looks roughly 30 inches wide.

It's actually a little wider. Dimensions (without legs): H175 × W1000 × D400mm (see this link)

And Ruark on their website seem te suggest the R7 can be used as a TV stand (same link, bottom).

Having said that, I think it's a lovely piece of kit; I wouldn't spoil its looks, putting a TV on top of it...

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
@ DocG That picture could also mean you mount the tv on the wall then place the unit under the tv, but it all depends on the weight of the tv for eg a 21" will probably be fine where a 50" plasma will not.

andrew_cawood

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Chebby, what's with the attitude? The OP asked for opinions of it. I gave mine. I thought that some people might want to use it that way - not so ridiculous when you yourself posted a picture of a Geneva with a TV on it for comparison.

You are aware of small TVs I presume?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
andrew_cawood said:
Chebby, what's with the attitude?

No idea.

Did I insult you or something?

Sorry if that's what you read.

I just don't think an all-in-one audio system should be criticised for having 'functional issues' because you think it might be less than optimal as a TV stand.

As it turns out (from info on the Ruark link that DocG provided earlier) there will be an optional TV support available next year.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Oh do stop squabbling, the lot of you :)

Anyway, I love the Ruark - it's almost as desirable as the Radiofonografo (yours for @£5700)

radiofonografo-brionvega.jpg

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Did Somebody say radiogramme? - chronology of my gear:-

Wind-up gramophone from junk shop - Music (not of choice) 78 rpm records from Salvation Army jumble sales.

Murphy radiogramme (was mahogany veneered so I sprayed it gold).

Hacker radiogramme. (nice sound).

Grundig mono TK14 5" Reel to Reel tape recorder.

Philco Hi-Fidelity auto-changer record player.

Philips mono 7" Reel to Reel tape recorder hooked up to dads 'wireless' and a 15" speaker in home made enclosure.

Philips stereo 10" Reel to Reel tape recorder.

Eagle Electronics amp, Eagle Electronics Fm radio, Garrard SP25 Turntable, Warfdale Linton Speakers.

Amstrad 8000 MK II amp.

Pioneer SA 706 Amp, Pioneer SA FM Tuner, Pioneer, Cassette Deck, Jamo Speakers.

Trio 1033B Record deck.

Arcam Alpha 8 Amp, Arcam Alpah 8 CD player, Mission 735i Speakers.

Currently...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Anyway, I love the Ruark - it's almost as desirable as the Radiofonografo (yours for @£5700)

You mean this guy? Dunno... think I prefer the Ruark. This one looks like seventies science fiction (maybe it is?) ;)

rr_226_radiofonografo_big.jpg

EDIT 1: just read the Brionvega website; the design is 1965. :doh:

EDIT 2: nearly 50 years old, and not a single client review on the site. "It is for the few", indeed.

Fred_Barker

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I have no idea who the target market is for a product of that price and with those features but looking like that. Ridiculous.

Probably be well suited to the decor and budget in Buckingham Palace - I'd like to kick it over.. hahah!!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
andrew_cawood said:
Chebby, what's with the attitude?

No idea.

Did I insult you or something?

Sorry if that's what you read.

I just don't think an all-in-one audio system should be criticised for having 'functional issues' because you think it might be less than optimal as a TV stand.

As it turns out (from info on the Ruark link that DocG provided earlier) there will be an optional TV support available next year.

Turns out my sofa has similar functional issues. Off to the skip with it.

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
The Ruark R7 was due to be released in autumn so should be out in the next few weeks if it's still on schedule.

Has anyone 'in the know' had a proper listen to it yet?

Regarding the Aptx bluetooth connection, would this work with the new Google Nexus 7 2013 ?

TRENDING THREADS